Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ego vs Awareness/consciousness
Ego vs Awareness/consciousness
I just wandered what you guys thought about this article.
http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/09...awareness/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1569494/
Awareness as the starting point agrees with the model in quantum theory which states that everything in our physical reality does not arise until it is perceived by an outside observer. It has always been a question for me whether our self/egos are only an illusion projected by the mind to better understand our awareness. In other words it just makes it easier for our limited minds to understand how to perceive and ego is not what actually defines us. Not that this quantum model is even close to the accepted model, but this was just interesting.

It seems to me from this starting point that everything is subjective to our perception and awareness including the ego itself.
RE: Ego vs Awareness/consciousness
(April 27, 2012 at 2:54 am)BrotherMagnet Wrote: I just wandered what you guys thought about this article.
Awareness as the starting point agrees with the model in quantum theory which states that everything in our physical reality does not arise until it is perceived by an outside observer. It has always been a question for me whether our self/egos are only an illusion projected by the mind to better understand our awareness. In other words it just makes it easier for our limited minds to understand how to perceive and ego is not what actually defines us. Not that this quantum model is even close to the accepted model, but this was just interesting.

It seems to me from this starting point that everything is subjective to our perception and awareness including the ego itself.

Doubtful.

First of all, our understanding of quantum mechanics is nowhere near close enough to allow us to draw these conclusions.

Secondly, irrespective of the nature of our self/ego, I think it has been pretty well-established that a conscious observer is not required for determining the physical reality. As of now, searching for answers pertaining to ego and/or free will in quantum mechanic is pseudoscientific at best.

(April 27, 2012 at 3:23 am)genkaus Wrote:
(April 27, 2012 at 2:54 am)BrotherMagnet Wrote: I just wandered what you guys thought about this article.

Doubtful.

First of all, our understanding of quantum mechanics is nowhere near close enough to allow us to draw these conclusions.

Secondly, irrespective of the nature of our self/ego, I think it has been pretty well-established that a conscious observer is not required for determining the physical reality. As of now, searching for answers pertaining to ego and/or free will in quantum mechanic is pseudoscientific at best.
It is very far fetched but it is an interesting claim that ego itself only arises from the perception itself and the reactions therein and is itself an illusion. Free-will is another matter entirely and this is another illusion for me. Not that being an illusion makes it less real or anything.
That is fighting talk. My ego will kick the shit out of yours. Mine is bigger and more badass. Tongue
Cunt
My perception encompasses all and is somehow at the same time confused by what this ego thing is. Your ego is irrelevant.Smile
My ego is omnipotent.
Cunt
From the abstract you linked:
Quote:“Neuropsychological research on the neural basis of behaviour generally posits that brain mechanisms will ultimately suffice to explain all psychologically described phenomena…
It is only right and proper for any scientific investigation to look into the physical mechanisms involved in mental processes, as long as they do not overreach. In this case the researchers appear to be advocating a very restrictive physicalist philosophy of mind in which ‘brain=mind’. I find such an approach valuable but inadequate to address the issue of felt experience and assert that some form of panpsychicim is more likely.
Quote: Panpsychism is the doctrine that mind is a fundamental feature of the world which exists throughout the universe. Broadly speaking, there are, at bottom, only two positions…panpsychism and emergentism. If one believes that the most fundamental physical entities…are devoid of any mental attributes, and if one also believes that some systems of these entities, such as human brains, do possess mental attributes, one is espousing some kind of doctrine of the emergence of mind.” – Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. (http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/panpsychism/)
The abstract also includes the following statement:
Quote:… terms having intrinsic mentalistic and/or experiential content (e.g. ‘feeling’, ‘knowing’ and ‘effort’) are not included as primary causal factors…
To my understanding effective cause only makes sense in temporal relationships above the quantum level. So it seems to me that the researchers have inappropriately carried over classical physic’s convenient fiction of ‘cause and effect’.
(April 27, 2012 at 2:54 am)BrotherMagnet Wrote: the model in quantum theory which states that everything in our physical reality does not arise until it is perceived by an outside observer

[Image: 85133341.jpg]

It seems like that article is using the outdated Copenhagen interpretation.
You see this all depends on what theory in psychology you're referring to. The concept of the "Ego" means many different things in psychology. Freud thought that the ego was a part of the brain that correlates with the Id and the super ego. Personally, I believe in the theory Freud came up with of the three parts of the subconscious mind working efficiently as a unit. But i also believe that the ego is our perception of ourselves and can easily be confused and dressed up as something else, if you will.
“Whoever will be free must make himself free. Freedom is no fairy gift to fall into a man's lap. What is freedom? To have the will to be responsible for one's self.” - Max Stirner.
[frankiej Wrote:My ego is omnipotent.
Maybe your ego is only a figment of my perceptions imagination.
(April 27, 2012 at 10:25 am)Phil Wrote:
(April 27, 2012 at 2:54 am)BrotherMagnet Wrote: the model in quantum theory which states that everything in our physical reality does not arise until it is perceived by an outside observer

It seems like that article is using the outdated Copenhagen interpretation.
Actually Phil it is not an outdated model as it is still only one of the possible models even today. We still don't know how to interpret wave/energy particle duality.

You could say the multiple universe model and the objective wave collapse models are more accepted but you can't say it's an outdated model. Here is an interesting article to read if you wish to know more about the different interpretations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpretat...e_theories

jess_essential Wrote:You see this all depends on what theory in psychology you're referring to. The concept of the "Ego" means many different things in psychology. Freud thought that the ego was a part of the brain that correlates with the Id and the super ego. Personally, I believe in the theory Freud came up with of the three parts of the subconscious mind working efficiently as a unit. But i also believe that the ego is our perception of ourselves and can easily be confused and dressed up as something else, if you will.
For me I tend to think of ego as only the perception of self. Perception itself is first "reaction" you get and is the true consciousness. Only later do you get a understanding of an ego in your mind. It makes since because first you perceive and then your mind reacts.
ChadWooters Wrote:To my understanding effective cause only makes sense in temporal relationships above the quantum level. So it seems to me that the researchers have inappropriately carried over classical physic’s convenient fiction of ‘cause and effect’.
We still are not even close to understanding consciousness but the evidence seems to point into the realm of quantum self collapsing waves. When enough wave functions intertwine in the fabric of our minds the waves self collapse without a "cause".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mind

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good read on consciousness Apollo 41 2575 January 12, 2021 at 4:04 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How could we trust our consciousness ?! zainab 45 4607 December 30, 2018 at 9:08 am
Last Post: polymath257
  Consciousness Trilemma Neo-Scholastic 208 55748 June 7, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis Won2blv 83 13910 February 21, 2017 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  My thoughts on the Hard problem of consciousness Won2blv 36 5485 February 15, 2017 at 7:27 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  A hypothesis about consciousness Won2blv 12 3929 February 12, 2017 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Won2blv
  Foundation of all Axioms the Axioms of Consciousness fdesilva 98 13950 September 24, 2016 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: Bunburryist
  Consciousness is simply an illusion emergent of a Boltzmann brain configuration.... maestroanth 36 5414 April 10, 2016 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Ego-- harmful delusion or pragmatic necessity? bennyboy 28 5756 May 6, 2015 at 4:34 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  On naturalism and consciousness FallentoReason 291 44132 September 15, 2014 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: dissily mordentroge