Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You know you're from Louisiana when...
I'm from a place that is unlike any other in the world. I was born and raised here, and I intend to live here for the rest of my life. Although I do wish to travel, and see the entire world, I will always come back to my home. And that just so happens to be the great state of Louisiana.

Your sunglasses fog up when you step outside, even in December.

You reinforce your attic to store Mardi Gras beads.

You save newspapers, not for recycling, but for tablecloths at crawfish boils.

Your ancestors are buried above the ground.

You drink Community Coffee, have tried Starbucks, but don't see what all the fuss is about.

You take a bite of five-alarm chili and reach for the Tabasco.

You sit down to eat boiled crawfish and your host says, "Don't eat the dead ones," and you know what he means.

You push little old ladies out of the way to catch Mardi Gras beads.

Little old ladies push YOU out of the way tocatch Mardi Gras beads.

Your town is low on the education chart, high on the obesity chart, and you don't care because you're No. 1 on the party chart.

Your house payment is less than your utility bill.

You know that Tchoupitoulas is a street and not a disease.

Your grandparents are called "Mam-Maw" and "Paw-Paw."

Your Santa Claus rides an alligator and your favorite Saint is a football player.

You cringe every time you hear an actor with a Southern or Cajun accent in a "New Orleans-based" movie or TV show.

You have to reset your clocks after every thunderstorm.

You're walking in the French Quarter with a plastic cup and it's filled with an alcoholic beverage.

When it starts to rain, you cover your beer instead of your head.

You eat dinner out and spend the entire meal talking about all the other good places you've eaten.

You call home just to find out what yamomm'an'em are having for supper tonight.

The crawfish mounds in your front yard have over taken the grass.

Community Coffee, Haydels, Zapps, K&B, Abita, etc., are essential.

Every so often, you have waterfront property.

When giving directions you use "uptown," "downtown," "backatown," "riverside," "lakeside," "other side of the bayou," or "other side of the levee."

When you refer to a geographical location "way up North'" you are referring to places like Shreveport, Little Rock, or Memphis, where it gets real cold.

You can pronounce Tchoupitoulas, Thibodaux, Opelousas, Pontchartrain, Ouachita and Atchafalaya.

You don't worry when you see ships riding higher in the river than the top of your house.

You judge a poboy by the number of napkins used.

The waitress at your local sandwich shop tells you a fried oyster poboy "dressed" is healthier than a Caesar salad. You agree.

You know the definition of "dressed" and you like your roast-beef poboy sloppy wit debris.

You can eat Popeye's, Haydel's and Zapp's for lunch and wash it down with Barq's and several Abitas, without losing it all on your stoop or banquette.

The four seasons in the year are: Hot, Hot as Hell, Football and Huntin'.

You wrench your hands in the zink with an onion bar to get the crawfish smell off.

You're not afraid when someone wants to acks you something.

You don't learn until high school that Mardi Gras is not a national holiday.

You don't learn until high school what a county is and that other states don't have parishes.

You believe that purple, green, and gold look good together.

You go to buy a new winter coat, what most people would refer to as a windbreaker, and throw your arms up in the air to make sure it allows enough room to catch Mardi Gras beads.

Your last name isn't pronounced the way it's spelled.

You know what a nutria is but you still pick it to represent your baseball team. Geaux Zephyrs!

You pronounce the largest city in the state as "Nawlins."

You actually get these jokes and pass them on to other friends from Louisiana.

Make America Great Again! Trump 2020
RE: You know you're from Louisiana when...
That 's hilarious. (the few I understood)

They call people from Texas "Tex" . What do they call call people from Louisiana?Thinking

I know some jokes about my city, Adelaide,but they all come from people in other states and are very offensive.

PS what is a crawfish and what does "don't eat the dead ones" mean?

Friendly note to our friends in Louisiana: Tabasco sauce is not hot.

Big Grin
Really funny! I'd like to see Loisiana one day and eat all the spicy food! Smile

(April 29, 2012 at 7:32 pm)padraic Wrote: PS what is a crawfish and what does "don't eat the dead ones" mean?

I think it means those that were dead before cooking Big Grin

[Image: crawfish-b.gif?w=500&h=336]
A picture of a crawfish (or crayfish, as we call them where I come from)
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

You're from Louisiana when........you have a French name, speak a rotten dialect of French, yet still hate France.
(April 29, 2012 at 7:32 pm)padraic Wrote: I know some jokes about my city, Adelaide,but they all come from people in other states and are very offensive.

That's 'cos they're all TRUE

ROFLOL
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(April 29, 2012 at 7:32 pm)padraic Wrote: That 's hilarious. (the few I understood)

They call people from Texas "Tex" . What do they call call people from Louisiana?Thinking

I know some jokes about my city, Adelaide,but they all come from people in other states and are very offensive.

PS what is a crawfish and what does "don't eat the dead ones" mean?

Louise?
...Do I win?
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
I am from the UK, so I understand least then 1/2 of these.
Be very proud to be British because...

Only in Britain... can a pizza get to your house faster than an ambulance.

Only in Britain... do supermarkets make sick people walk all the way to the back of the shop to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front.

Only in Britain... do people order double cheeseburgers, large fries, and a DIET coke.

Only in Britain... do banks leave both doors open and chain the pens to the counters.

Only in Britain... do we leave cars worth thousands of pounds on the drive and lock our junk and cheap lawn mower in the garage.

Only in Britain... do we use answering machines to screen calls and then have call waiting so we won't miss a call from someone we didn't want to talk to in the first place.

Only in Britain... are there diabled parking places in front of a skating rink.

You Know You're From Britain When...

You believe that Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday are all good nights for drinking. Sunday day is also entirely reasonable.

You're always a half an hour late to work ... no-one notices or cares.

Coming to work with a hangover is entirely accepted and indeed expected at least once a week.

You can actually give directions to some of those annoying tourists in Oxford Street!

You step over a drunk in the tube station rather than offering to help them.

You don't even bother looking out of the window when you get up in the morning to check what the day is like. You know it is overcast.

You consider a suit to be normal attire for the pub.

You expect men to actually cut, comb and style their hair (using hair products). And to wear decent clothes.

You dissolve in laughter when listening to the funny accent of the Aussie international telephone operator (or on TV!).

You think £40 for a haircut is quite reasonable.

You can't remember what 'customer service' means.

After a big night out you find yourself looking for a Curry house

More than three hours sunlight on summer days seems excessive.

You don't think twice about tipping your hairdresser

You finish every sentence with 'Cheers' or 'Yeah'.

You only just realise you have lost your sunnies, you left them in Greece 2 summers ago.

You like English cuisine. I mean, it's hard to beat a full English breakfast.

You are on to your 6th umbrella and your second overcoat... this year

You've bought a disposable baby BBQ from Tesco.

A day at the beach means wearing the warmest clothes you own while standing on golf ball-size pebbles and the thought of swimming doesn't even enter your head.

You always call soccer football and you have a team and it's not Manchester United.

You don't think twice about buying a packaged sandwich.

A sunny lunchtime means searching for a patch of grass and stripping off practically down to your underwear

You've accepted queuing as a way of life.

You believe that every American is a fatass addicted to hamburgers and hotdogs.

You despise the French (but then, who doesn't?).

I found most of these but there so true.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
Quote:You've bought a disposable baby BBQ from Tesco.

Shouldn't this be under the 'You know you're an atheist when...' column?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(April 30, 2012 at 8:39 am)Faith No More Wrote:
Quote:You've bought a disposable baby BBQ from Tesco.

Shouldn't this be under the 'You know you're an atheist when...' column?

No Because they sell those in Tesco (a British version of Walmart for those who don't know) and I only see them in the UK.
[Image: bbq.jpg]
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You know you are old when. Brian37 70 4120 January 28, 2021 at 9:24 am
Last Post: polymath257
  You Know You've Been on AF Too Long When.... FatAndFaithless 52 6587 January 31, 2018 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  You know you've been on the forum too long when... robvalue 191 16212 April 12, 2016 at 2:43 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Louisiana residents warned of brain-eating organism in water supply Diablo 2 962 August 31, 2014 at 11:47 am
Last Post: vorlon13