Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suicide Terrorism & Religion
Suicide Terrorism & Religion
This is a video of a lecture given by Robert Pape last year on suicide terrorism and its causes.

It's a four part thing - here are the other three parts (just add these to the end of "http://www.youtube.com"):
  • Part 2 - /watch?v=XwODYq63ku0&feature=relmfu
  • Part 3 - /watch?v=jPhDVigmGQ4&feature=relmfu
  • Part 4 - /watch?v=VD7hdRcapYM&feature=relmfu

I've only watched a truncated version of this so far, but if I understand correctly and the data is accurate it would seem that over 90% of suicide terrorism since 1980 has been perpetrated by occupied country's nationals against the occupying forces. This would run contrary to some assertions / implications that Islam is one of the root causes of suicide terrorism.

So, what do you think?
RE: Suicide Terrorism & Religion
I haven't watched the video, but for a long time I have felt that Islam is not the cause for the bombings. It is the mechanism by which they convince others to give up their life. The causes appear to be political, not religious.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I've since watched all the videos. It seems my initial impression was correct. Apparently their data is public too, which may be interesting to look at.

(May 2, 2012 at 3:33 pm)Faith No More Wrote: I haven't watched the video, but for a long time I have felt that Islam is not the cause for the bombings. It is the mechanism by which they convince others to give up their life. The causes appear to be political, not religious.

I'd recommend all four parts, he makes a bizarre claim at near the beginning (about the first attempt to blow up the WTC*), but other than that everything seems pretty sound. I'm sceptical that Islam is even the way they convince others to give up there lives. My own personal thought (partially based on facts, partially on speculation) is that religion (in general, no specific religions) can serve as a contributing, but non-essential factor to convincing others to perform suicide terrorism. I can imagine it exacerbating the problem though.

*He seems to suggest that the reason the US didn't "turn itself upside down" with the first attack like it did with 9/11 is because it wasn't a suicide attack. It would seem pretty obvious to me that the reason the US didn't "turn itself upside down" is because the tower didn't actually fall and thousands of people weren't killed. It wasn't the fact that the people committed suicide that shocked people, it was the fact that heavy casualties had been inflicted upon a civilian population in one of the most iconic cities in the country - a place far removed from the battlefields in the middle east.
(May 2, 2012 at 3:33 pm)Faith No More Wrote: I haven't watched the video, but for a long time I have felt that Islam is not the cause for the bombings. It is the mechanism by which they convince others to give up their life. The causes appear to be political, not religious.

That is the case with almost all conflict. Religion is almost never the cause, just the excuse. Same goes for ethnic differences. One ethnic group has the resources another group wants. Of course those who are actually doing the killing are tricked into fighting. Same thing with the intervention of the United States...we are tricked into thinking it is for peaceful purposes rather than for oil.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
Quote:I've only watched a truncated version of this so far, but if I understand correctly and the data is accurate it would seem that over 90% of suicide terrorism since 1980 has been perpetrated by occupied country's nationals against the occupying forces. This would run contrary to some assertions / implications that Islam is one of the root causes of suicide terrorism.
Well, I believe that the suicide terrorism type things are the courtesy of the NATO. They have trained individuals in their fight against communism both in terms of body and in terms of doctrine, and have endorsed religious extremism(or "green communism" as I like to call it) against "red" communism.

Really, what has changed? The green communists are as reckless and as mindless as their red counterparts.

[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10717 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4905 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19815 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49306 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Why don't terrorists just suicide bomb churches in the US? Dosolid 37 8425 June 5, 2014 at 6:55 pm
Last Post: vodkafan
  Ray comfort uses a man's suicide to push evolutionVSgod Lemonvariable72 46 15017 October 15, 2013 at 10:07 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  another cult commits mass suicide downbeatplumb 14 4640 May 31, 2011 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5186 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused