Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 7:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Atheism forum
First Atheism forum
I'm sat here at work, my mind-numbingly tedious job, and decided I would look for an Atheism forum to join so I could engage in some interesting conversation/debates/general banter.

I'm 20, I come from a part of England called Stoke on Trent and I'm going to be studying Creative Writing and Philosophy this coming September at university.

As I'm sure most people on here have, I used to go to church, went to Christian camps/outings, youth clubs, all of that. My parents are not religious, but the youth group I used to attend was. Though when I hit the age of about 13/14 I started to wonder about everything, and more specifically, what role 'god' had ever actually played in my life. The answer was none. I spent the next few years wondering about life, our place on Earth and our place in the universe. Then I really started to get into astronomy and realised that us and everything on this planet are incredibly insignificant. I began to ponder the origins of religion and the thing it nearly always came down to was this:

Religion is a logical and natural invention for intelligent beings who are stupid enough to not understand how things work or why things happen.

I say stupid not in an insulting way, but in the way that science has not been delved into enough to understand things such as floods, tornados, earthquakes, death, disease, the night sky, even certain types of trees/plants would have been mystical to an unevolved species.

I'm sure many of you have watched the Christopher Hitchens and Tony Blair debate, and that you have probably picked up on the recurring themes in Tony's arguments which got incredibly annoying because he never actually answered any of Hitchens' questions he just recycled the same line over and over - 'I'm not saying that people don't do bad in the name of religion, but I am saying that peopl do good'. Though Hitchens made an amazing point that I had never thought about before. That was if religion got rid of all super-natural claims and was truly a thing of Humanism, then it would actually be a force for good in the world.

But yes, hopefully I'll get to know some people quite well and take part in some interesting stuff!

I also enjoy drawing. Dark drawings hahaha!

[Image: 9Cvx6.jpg]
RE: First Atheism forum
Hey and welcome.

Should be plenty to get your teeth into. Us brits don't get exposed to fundamentalists trying desperately to sound like they actually have an argument so much, so thats always entertaining and new Smile

The more rational theists are more interesting however, and have a solid grasp of their argument.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
Hi and welcome! I love the drawing! Big Grin
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Welcome.
Cunt
Welcome daniel.morris

Yep, Atheists have the BEST conversations
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Welcome Big Grin

Pretty awesome drawings, much better than the stickmen level I am at Tongue
I'm fairly new here too. First off, the art is fucking excellent, so you should keep that up. Secondly, welcome.
Welcome! Smile
Hello, Dan. Wait until you meet some of our stable of fundies...you'll have no trouble using"stupid" in an insulting way!
Hello.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First things first Bad Writer 61 10832 June 30, 2013 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Aractus
  My first atheist forum experience! Clueless Morgan 21 5925 June 9, 2013 at 4:30 am
Last Post: Aractus