Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My girlfriend wants our kids introduced to "all major world religions"
My girlfriend wants our kids introduced to "all major world religions"
Ok, long story short, I was talking with my current girlfriend a couple of weeks ago and the matter of what religion, if any, would our kids practice. Considering she is an agnostic, I figured she would be apathetic about the issue and just say that we wouldn't encourage religion. Her parents are conservative Africans from Sierra Leone who do practice Protestantism, as do her sisters. DunnoThe rest of her family practices Christianity or an Animist belief. For her own part, she is an anarchist and an very socially liberal. Which is why this bothers me a little. Her exact words were "They should be exposed to all the world religions, that way they can choose amongst them". This doesn't bode well with me. I would be fine with them looking at what these religions believe as an adult, but not as an impressionable child who is liable to believe what is told to him in the most fantastic and fervent manner, as I once was. What do you guys make of this and what should I tell her? Keep in mind that I am just 18 but she and I are like-minded and compatible on almost all plateaus: emotional, intellectual, sexual and dynamically. I'd hate to sound bitter saying this, but prior to meeting her love was very unreal to me. She is the only person who has ever made me feel this way.Date I await your replies. Newbie
"We just push boundaries, we can't help it if people don't like those boundaries being pushed." - Rammstein lead singer Till Lindemann
RE: My girlfriend wants our kids introduced to "all-world religions"
You can "expose" them by saying they all suck,too.

The fucking catholics will gladly expose themselves to kids.
[Image: tumblr_ltni29niYN1r4w3xeo1_400.gif]
(May 3, 2012 at 9:46 pm)Minimalist Wrote: You can "expose" them by saying they all suck,too.

Relevant!
"We just push boundaries, we can't help it if people don't like those boundaries being pushed." - Rammstein lead singer Till Lindemann
(May 3, 2012 at 9:48 pm)Engel Wrote: [Image: tumblr_ltni29niYN1r4w3xeo1_400.gif]
(May 3, 2012 at 9:46 pm)Minimalist Wrote: You can "expose" them by saying they all suck,too.

Relevant!

Nice graphic.
RE: My girlfriend wants our kids introduced to "all world religions"
That isn't possible. There are far too many.
Nothing wrong with learning what the peoples of the world believe, so long as they are also taught to think critically and with a well grounded background in science.
RE: My girlfriend wants our kids introduced to "all major world religions"
Paul's point is well taken. People believe lots of silly shit. You do need to find out if she wants them to know about religious foolishness or does she want them to pick one anyway no matter how stupid it is.
(May 3, 2012 at 10:00 pm)Paul the Human Wrote: Nothing wrong with learning what the peoples of the world believe, so long as they are also taught to think critically and with a well grounded background in science.

Yes, but then again no good can possibly come of them being around the highly religious types. Especially at an impressionable age. I'm thoroughly convinced that religion is hate, fear and obscene. I can't imagine consenting to let my kids be shown that.
(May 3, 2012 at 10:07 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Paul's point is well taken. People believe lots of silly shit. You do need to find out if she wants them to know about religious foolishness or does she want them to pick one anyway no matter how stupid it is.

I should ask her this. If she aims to show our kids how petty religion is then I'm ok with this. She herself is pretty sure there isn't a god so I think this may be just to please her parents...
(May 3, 2012 at 9:43 pm)Engel Wrote: Ok, long story short, I was talking with my current girlfriend a couple of weeks ago and the matter of what religion, if any, would our kids practice. Considering she is an agnostic, I figured she would be apathetic about the issue and just say that we wouldn't encourage religion. Her parents are conservative Africans from Sierra Leone who do practice Protestantism, as do her sisters. DunnoThe rest of her family practices Christianity or an Animist belief. For her own part, she is an anarchist and an very socially liberal. Which is why this bothers me a little. Her exact words were "They should be exposed to all the world religions, that way they can choose amongst them". This doesn't bode well with me. I would be fine with them looking at what these religions believe as an adult, but not as an impressionable child who is liable to believe what is told to him in the most fantastic and fervent manner, as I once was. What do you guys make of this and what should I tell her? Keep in mind that I am just 18 but she and I are like-minded and compatible on almost all plateaus: emotional, intellectual, sexual and dynamically. I'd hate to sound bitter saying this, but prior to meeting her love was very unreal to me. She is the only person who has ever made me feel this way.Date I await your replies. Newbie
Another relationship problem DDR-kun?
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
(May 3, 2012 at 10:23 pm)kılıç_mehmet Wrote: Another relationship problem DDR-kun?

What was my other relationship problem? I wouldn't say it's a pressing problem right now, more like a fog on the horizon, if that. Finally someone pointed out the DDR insignia! It's a pity it isn't a state anymore, I should have liked to live there.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What does Sam Harris mean by saying that religions are failed sciences? FlatAssembler 18 1075 January 23, 2024 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Jesus wants passionate christians purplepurpose 3 657 April 1, 2023 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Santa and Other Lies to the Kids mlmooney89 25 2647 August 27, 2018 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  How would Abrahamic religions end? mota 18 8682 August 2, 2018 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Possible girlfriend?? Manowar 30 4815 July 26, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What Major Intellectual Issue Most Keeps You From Accepting The Christian Narrative? Captain Hook 324 32796 March 21, 2018 at 1:11 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Does atheism oppose the world religions? cosmology 31 6212 January 4, 2018 at 10:52 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Should I tell my girlfriend that I'm an atheist? erealmz 45 9062 November 19, 2017 at 9:07 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Atheistic religions Der/die AtheistIn 21 6769 August 10, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Raising atheist kids. Jehanne 26 4184 March 16, 2017 at 1:05 am
Last Post: vorlon13