Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do Athiests require 'proof' that God exists?
Why do Athiests require 'proof' that God exists?
There are some things we cannot prove.

For example one cannot prove ones own existence - I could argue that you are a figment of my imagination, like a person in a dream. You would be unable to prove that you were a self aware, autonomous human being.

Using atheist logic I should therefore consider all other humans to not be self aware, sentient, concious beings as they cannot 'prove' they have these qualities.

Would it not be better to accept that I can never know if other people are self aware like me? That I can never know if God exists or not?
RE: Why do Athiests require 'proof' that God exists?
We require proof of existence because positive claims have to be proved. If there is no evidence for something, it is irrelevant and should be assumed false. For example, in Physics, nothing is assumed true, or fact, it is described as a "model" or a "theory".

I may not be able to prove my own existence, but my existence is ultimately irrelevant.
Atheism simply means to lack belief that god(s) exist. The reason that atheists require proof is that we do not believe that your god exists, so we ask that you prove your claim. I don't even go that far myself. I simply ask for a single compelling and convincing reason to believe that your claims that a god exists are true. One reason that does not presuppose that one does.
(May 7, 2012 at 12:03 pm)JesusLover Wrote: There are some things we cannot prove.

For example one cannot prove ones own existence - I could argue that you are a figment of my imagination, like a person in a dream. You would be unable to prove that you were a self aware, autonomous human being.

Using atheist logic I should therefore consider all other humans to not be self aware, sentient, concious beings as they cannot 'prove' they have these qualities.

Would it not be better to accept that I can never know if other people are self aware like me? That I can never know if God exists or not?

Ofcourse we can prove that. Come over here and I'll slap you upside on the head. I'm willing to give this proof to you as many times and for as long as it takes to convince you.
Why do you not believe in my bullshit? Why do you doubt my bullshit? Just believe it. Afterall, just because it is bullshit doesn't mean it can't be true, and besides, how do you prove beyond all unreasonable doubt something is true anyway. Nothing can be proven beyond unreasonable. So everything is unproven. You believe something that is not proven beyond unreasonable doubt, so why not believe my bullshit as well? Just believe my bullshit!
(May 7, 2012 at 12:03 pm)JesusLover Wrote: Would it not be better to accept that I can never know if other people are self aware like me? That I can never know if God exists or not?

I do accept that I can never know if God exists or not, just as I employ the same principles with the tooth fairy, Odin, Zeus, Ghosts etc. etc. It's just that I find the complete and utter lack of any evidence, credibility and verisimilitude overwhelming.

Oh, and which God are you talking about? All of them or just the one that your where indoctrinated into believing because of the geographical location of your birth and the views of those around you?
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
We don't ask for proof. Proofs are for math. We ask for evidence.
Religion is not the answer-it is the problem. Everything considered, we would be better off without it.~Baubles of Blasphemy~Edwin F. Kagin

"Much better to have the ability to think critically, than the ability to quote scripture. One says you have a functioning mind. The other says you're a parrot." -- The Secular Buddhist
If you have the time, please take a look through this video, and then you might understand the concept of burden of proof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KayBys8gaJY

We can prove that we are the same, by instance by taking samples of DNA or by looking at MRIs and clearly seeing that there is brain activity and self awareness, thus proving that we are made of the same building blocks, and that we indeed are sentient and conscious. And René Descartes' philosophies aren't worth much..
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

JesusLover Wrote:For example one cannot prove ones own existence - I could argue that you are a figment of my imagination, like a person in a dream. You would be unable to prove that you were a self aware, autonomous human being.
The French philosopher Descartes came to the conclusion that the very fact that one can ask oneself 'do I exist' shows that one does in fact exist. Otherwise it would be an impossibility to even undergo the task of asking oneself.

Quote:Using atheist logic I should therefore consider all other humans to not be self aware, sentient, concious beings as they cannot 'prove' they have these qualities.
I'm not sure what 'atheist logic' is as you can't box them into one category of beliefs. The only thing they have in common is the lack of belief in a deity, that is all.

Either way, I think it's reasonable to be able to corrolate the actions of others with their self awareness, as I have observed with myself.

Quote:Would it not be better to accept that I can never know if other people are self aware like me? That I can never know if God exists or not?
I agree to an extent that you can't show 100% but I mean we're talking a very thin philosophical line here. In practice I observe that others have the same functionality as me and I'm aware of my existence, so therefore I'm inclined to believe they do too.

As for God, I personally believe that such a being hasn't presented itself to us. Whether it exists or not, I haven't really given it much thought lately.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
Why wouldn't I?

I can prove I exist. It's simple, really, if you're not complicating with the hope that my existence is as intangible as that of god.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6324 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Proof at least one god is b.s. onlinebiker 10 1358 March 16, 2021 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  God Exists brokenreflector 210 12975 June 16, 2020 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  "How do I know God exists?" - the first step to atheism Mystic 51 29766 April 23, 2018 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Proof of God Existence faramirofgondor 39 8121 April 20, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Enlightened Ape
  Before We Discuss Whether God Exists, I Have A Question Jenny A 113 14865 March 7, 2018 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: possibletarian
  Proof that God exists TheoneandonlytrueGod 203 46936 January 23, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Proof that God is not real? ComradeMeow 6 2492 August 5, 2017 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Athiests are bitter? Soldat Du Christ 60 11812 April 14, 2017 at 2:06 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Muslims are using this NASA video as proof that islam is true and that allah exists LetThereBeNoGod 10 3962 February 16, 2017 at 9:32 pm
Last Post: LetThereBeNoGod