Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion for Atheists
Religion for Atheists
"Religion for Atheists" has anyone read this...

http://www.amazon.com/Religion-Atheists-...0307379108
RE: Religion for Atheists
Can't say that I have. Reading the jacket notes and reviews it would seem that the author has found a similar use for religious or mythical narratives as myself, and it's also apparent the author and I prefer different narratives, and see completely dissimilar things in a given narrative.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I like some of his earlier work, so I will probably read it.
Trying to update my sig ...
(May 8, 2012 at 12:19 am)Epimethean Wrote: I like some of his earlier work, so I will probably read it.
Alain De Botto Wrote:We can then recognize that we invented religion to serve two central needs…
There goes one more wise guy who reached down to the roots of religion not by studying the history of religion but simply, and conveniently, by meditating!!

I wish you to enjoy reading! Big Grin
"Culture is memory"

Yuri Lotman

There goes one more wise guy. Yes. Your studies have not given you any greater clarity, Santayana.
Trying to update my sig ...
Quote:Q: Is it possible to be a good person without religion?
A: The problem of the man without religion is that he forgets.

Complete nonsense.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
I get my morals from Star Wars. I try to use the force in everyday life. Sometimes my will is expressed through the force in everyday situations, like when I want my wife to kiss me I'll focus really hard at her and she will scowl and me saying, "Fucking quit it already; here I'll kiss you." PROOF that the force works! True story, by which I mean, a story I totally made up just to reinforce my snarky comment.
I am not inclined to take him seriously based on the brief blurb in Amazon.

The problem seems to be that he assumes what is good in religion is there because of religion, and therefore unique to religion. Consequently religion has something unique and worth learning from [/i][i]despite the fact that what religion actually intent on pushing the hardest is self-aggrandizing bullshit.

That may be true to a very limited extend for some creeds which at times value some form of self reflection over any definite pretense at cosmology. But I believe it to be essentially untrue with any larges scale religion relies on an asserted cosmology.

I would contend that in fact the only thing really unique to each religion that is based on asserted cosmology is the particular variation of the bullshit pushed solely for purpose of its own self-aggrandizement. Such things worth learning as having also been weaved into any religion is certainly not there because of religion. If anything, they are residues of common virtues overlooked by the efforts to promogate more selfaggrandizing bullshit. As such, they can be better learned outside of any religion.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video - Why atheists care about YOUR religion Lilith_86 4 1981 January 15, 2010 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: Lilith_86