Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The irony of allergies for an atheist:
The irony of allergies for an atheist:
Sneeze
Bless you!
Sneeze
Bless you!
Sneeze
Bless-
SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!!
RE: The irony of allergies for an atheist:
I never say bless you, and if people say it to me, I tell them not to. It's the most annoying custom.
(May 14, 2012 at 10:42 pm)Matt231 Wrote: I never say bless you, and if people say it to me, I tell them not to. It's the most annoying custom.

Ah yes...but we're in the safety and comfort of atheist for-sneeze GOD DAMNIT!
I just ignore people who say "Bless You." Most people don't actually think about the meaning behind it when they say it.
What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD
(May 14, 2012 at 10:38 pm)Chris.Roth Wrote: Sneeze
Bless you!
Sneeze
Bless you!
Sneeze
Bless-
SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!!

Even when I was a believer I had the same feeling. i have extreme allergies and as a result I sneeze a lot. I finally got to the point where I was like "ok, stop saying that, I'm going to keep sneezing whether you say it or not"
I always say it. Some things lose their religious connotation with time. By saying "bless you," I am saying, "I'm sorry you sneezed. I hope it's not Captain Trips." In my opinion, it is stupid to get caught up in sayings. A nicety is a nicety. Why knock politeness?
Besides the religious part of it, I just find it pointless. I don't get why I need to acknowledge when someone sneezes. It happened. Everyone is aware. Move on.
(May 14, 2012 at 11:05 pm)Shell B Wrote: I always say it. Some things lose their religious connotation with time. By saying "bless you," I am saying, "I'm sorry you sneezed. I hope it's not Captain Trips." In my opinion, it is stupid to get caught up in sayings. A nicety is a nicety. Why knock politeness?

I agree, I have no problem with it. It doesn't even really carry a religious reference for most. In Spanish they say "salud" which means literally "health." It's kind of the same thing in English. It just annoys me when I'm having a particularly bad spell and people keep saying it.
Instead:

First time; gezunt ; to your heath

Second time; tzum leben; to your life

Third time; tzum langer yoren; for long years.

Of course,when I sneeze on my keyboard, I just say "'FUCK!" Angel Cloud

If somebody says "bless you" to me, I just say "thank you". Can't see the point of being a cunt over something so trivial,which today is matter of social custom more than a religious gesture.
What I find funny is I don't think I was entirely being serious with this post--just being a smartass. However, as always, I get the most intelligible respose possible from the community. This is why I love you guys haha.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Parents Don't See The Irony LivingNumbers6.626 8 2764 July 31, 2014 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
  ...(Atheistic irony) cGodfrey 30 9359 May 2, 2011 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Irony Or What? Kyuuketsuki 7 3153 August 28, 2009 at 3:47 am
Last Post: Kyuuketsuki
  The ultimate irony Demonaura 10 4589 March 10, 2009 at 8:45 pm
Last Post: athoughtfulman