Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fundraising via hosting?
Fundraising via hosting?
So we have this big ass server that most of the time sits around barely doing anything. Our previous server was almost always at a server load of 1.0, whereas this BEAST rarely goes above 0.1. Simply put, we can squeeze a lot more out of this server if we want to. I already intend to set up some kind of chat (maybe IRC) on it so we don't have to rely on Dalnet all the time, but one way we could use it to help pay for it would be to offer hosting for small websites.

Would anyone be interested in this? For a (very) small monthly fee, I could easily offer a large amount of disk space, bandwidth, and access to a database. Of course, if you want more stuff, you pay more, but it'll all be quite friendly, no hidden costs or bitchiness if your site goes over the allowed bandwidth.

As I've said before, I'm in a good financial situation to continue paying for the server out of my own pocket, but I do want to try and eventually make it pay for itself. We might try Google adverts in the future, but it seems that hosting websites is far easier (everything can be set up in a few minutes).

Let me know either way.
RE: Fundraising via hosting?
Perhaps I could use it as a mirror site for my media player Dodgy
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
I may have to charge extra if you intend to use a lot of bandwidth, though it depends entirely on how much of course. The server itself has a limit of 10TB a month, which is a lot compared to what we use it for. In April the forums "only" generated 50GB of data, so we're not in any danger of going over.
You'll have to give me a 'downloads per month' quote when I've worked out the final size of the .exe
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Set up the dang blog, already. Tongue

It's not a bad idea. You do what you will. It's your server.
(May 17, 2012 at 9:42 am)Shell B Wrote: Set up the dang blog, already. Tongue

It's not a bad idea. You do what you will. It's your server.

Blog for members use or for forum use? Either way it sounds like a good idea. The forum used 50 GB bandwidth in a month? Isn't that a lot?
It's for forum use and members can submit articles for it. I already have a bunch waiting.
(May 17, 2012 at 10:19 am)Shell B Wrote: It's for forum use and members can submit articles for it. I already have a bunch waiting.

Really nice idea. Would be a great addition and we certainly have a few members here that can write really interesting "blogicles."
(May 17, 2012 at 10:18 am)Phil Wrote: The forum used 50 GB bandwidth in a month? Isn't that a lot?
Not really. When you consider the amount of data it takes just to display a page of posts, multiply by however many pageviews we get, add images, etc, it's understandable.
(May 17, 2012 at 10:49 am)Tiberius Wrote:
(May 17, 2012 at 10:18 am)Phil Wrote: The forum used 50 GB bandwidth in a month? Isn't that a lot?
Not really. When you consider the amount of data it takes just to display a page of posts, multiply by however many pageviews we get, add images, etc, it's understandable.

You're getting closer to starting TWS -- Tiberius Web Services. Amazon better watch out. Tongue
Slave to the Patriarchy no more

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Donate via Bitcoin! Tiberius 9 2770 December 13, 2013 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: Rahul