Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Encounter with a Hindu preacher
Encounter with a Hindu preacher
Well While I was on my way to post my mums birthday card I was stopped by what I can only perceive to be a Hindu preacher, going on about this book and how it had the original texts in it and a direct translation, and he asked me if I believed in karma and asked me what is was, he wanted to give me a book. So I told him I did not what it then he offered me this other book and I was like again no thanks. lucky he saw me as a lost cause and backed of before I would offer him my boot in his anal region.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: Encounter with a Hindu preacher
Technically there are many Hindu Atheists, so its not as completely batshit unreasonable as "some" religions I can think of.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
(May 17, 2012 at 9:18 am)Gooders1002 Wrote: Well While I was on my way to post my mums birthday card I was stopped by what I can only perceive to be a Hindu preacher, going on about this book and how it had the original texts in it and a direct translation, and he asked me if I believed in karma and asked me what is was, he wanted to give me a book. So I told him I did not what it then he offered me this other book and I was like again no thanks. lucky he saw me as a lost cause and backed of before I would offer him my boot in his anal region.

Where exactly did you meet this guy? In my experience, unlike Christian missionaries, Hindu preachers don't go out of their way to spread their message.
(May 17, 2012 at 9:34 am)genkaus Wrote:
(May 17, 2012 at 9:18 am)Gooders1002 Wrote: Well While I was on my way to post my mums birthday card I was stopped by what I can only perceive to be a Hindu preacher, going on about this book and how it had the original texts in it and a direct translation, and he asked me if I believed in karma and asked me what is was, he wanted to give me a book. So I told him I did not what it then he offered me this other book and I was like again no thanks. lucky he saw me as a lost cause and backed of before I would offer him my boot in his anal region.

Where exactly did you meet this guy? In my experience, unlike Christian missionaries, Hindu preachers don't go out of their way to spread their message.

In the middal of a street in a town in Buckinghamshire, England
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain

A hare krishna? I never met one, but I would be interested in a book, to read and see what it is all about. Why you're so hostile towards new information is really baffling.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
My experience with buddhist monks (related to hinduism) is they may not be quite as revoltingly upfront as christian morons when they don't know exactly where you stand. But some of them can be every bit as fervent, unscrupulous and aggresively proselytizing as your christian moron if for some reason they perceive you to be even slightly receptive to them. They certainly make no bones about wanting to, in effect, poach souls from competing religions like christianity.

Some of them exihibit a ignorance of science coupled with a wonton greed to misuse it for their proselytizing goals in a way that would do the likes of Wordork or Alter2ego proud.

I met one monk who expelled a huge pile of pseudoscience crap about how buddhist meditation give you access to high truth. When I asked whether he was attempting (unssuccessfully) to put buddhist tradition of meditation on some scientific footing, his answer was refreshingly honest. He said in effect he didn't believe science. He only believed in the wisdom of the living buddha (head of his buddhist sect). But since I seemed to him to respect science, he would use science as tool to bring to on to the true path of wisdom.

(May 17, 2012 at 4:16 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote:
(May 17, 2012 at 9:34 am)genkaus Wrote: Where exactly did you meet this guy? In my experience, unlike Christian missionaries, Hindu preachers don't go out of their way to spread their message.

In the middal of a street in a town in Buckinghamshire, England

UK, huh? Sounds like one of the Hare Krishna's. They are the Mormons of Hinduism.
Gooders;

Was he wearing a REALLY bad wig?

If so, he may have been a Hare Krsna. If you had accepted a free book,he would have demanded a large donation.

It does indeed sound like a Krishna. The tactic of giving you a book or a flower is rooted in marketing psychology. It's known that when people are given something, a gift, regardless of relative value, the person will feel compelled to reciprocate the gesture, which is the point at which they suggest a donation. It's found that even a relatively worthless gift — a flower, or the little Buddhist prayer trivets that I keep receiving in the mail — will increase both the frequency of donations and the magnitude.

Wikipedia Wrote:Hinduism is the predominant religion of the Indian subcontinent, and one of its indigenous religions. Hinduism includes Shaivism, Vaishnavism and Śrauta among numerous other traditions. It also includes historical groups, for example the Kapalikas. Among other practices and philosophies, Hinduism includes a wide spectrum of laws and prescriptions of "daily morality" based on the notion of karma, dharma, and societal norms. Hinduism is a conglomeration of distinct intellectual or philosophical points of view, rather than a rigid common set of beliefs.

Hinduism is formed of diverse traditions and has no single founder. Among its direct roots is the historical Vedic religion of Iron Age India and, as such, Hinduism is often called the "oldest living religion" or the "oldest living major religion" in the world.

Wikipedia Wrote:Hinduism as it is commonly known can be subdivided into a number of major currents. Of the historical division into six darsanas, only two schools, Vedanta and Yoga, survive. The main divisions of Hinduism today are Vaishnavism, Shaivism, Smartism and Shaktism. Hinduism also recognizes numerous divine beings subordinate to the Supreme Being or regards them as lower manifestations of it. Other notable characteristics include a belief in reincarnation and karma, as well as in personal duty, or dharma.

McDaniel (2007) distinguishes six generic "types" of Hinduism, in an attempt to accommodate a variety of views on a rather complex subject:
  • Folk Hinduism, as based on local traditions and cults of local deities at a communal level and spanning back to prehistoric times or at least prior to written Vedas.
  • Śrauta or "Vedic" Hinduism as practiced by traditionalist brahmins (Śrautins).
  • Vedantic Hinduism, for example Advaita Vedanta (Smartism), as based on the philosophical approach of the Upanishads.
  • Yogic Hinduism, especially that based on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali.
  • "Dharmic" Hinduism or "daily morality", based on the notion of Karma, and upon societal norms such as Vivāha (Hindu marriage customs).
  • Bhakti or devotionalist practices

[I'm not sure where my tradition, Shaktism, fits in this list, if at all. There are Bhakti traditions, known as Dakshinamargis Shaktism or the right-handed path, but also Tantric and related Shakta traditions, known as Vamamargis Shaktism or the left-handed path. — apophenia]

Hinduism does not have a "unified system of belief encoded in declaration of faith or a creed", but is rather an umbrella term comprising the plurality of religious phenomena originating and based on the Vedic traditions.

The characteristic of comprehensive tolerance to differences in belief, and Hinduism's openness, makes it difficult to define as a religion according to traditional Western conceptions. To its adherents, Hinduism is the traditional way of life, and because of the wide range of traditions and ideas incorporated within or covered by it, arriving at a comprehensive definition of the term is problematic. While sometimes referred to as a religion, Hinduism is more often defined as a religious tradition. It is therefore described as both the oldest of the world's religions, and the most diverse. Most Hindu traditions revere a body of religious or sacred literature, the Vedas, although there are exceptions. Some Hindu religious traditions regard particular rituals as essential for salvation, but a variety of views on this co-exist. Some Hindu philosophies postulate a theistic ontology of creation, of sustenance, and of destruction of the universe, yet some Hindus are atheists. Hinduism is sometimes characterized by the belief in reincarnation (samsara), determined by the law of karma, and the idea that salvation is freedom from this cycle of repeated birth and death. However, other religions of the region, such as Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism, also believe in karma, outside the scope of Hinduism. Hinduism is therefore viewed as the most complex of all of the living, historical world religions. Despite its complexity, Hinduism is not only one of the numerically largest faiths, but is also the oldest living major tradition on earth, with roots reaching back into prehistory.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
He asked if i would give a donation and I told him I had no money, which I don't

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Had an interesting encounter with a so called Christian on social media today GODZILLA 16 2469 May 24, 2018 at 12:19 am
Last Post: Astreja
  Street preacher encounters NaughtyButNice 22 3175 March 6, 2016 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  A Hindu Perspective: Science vs. Spirituality Krishna Jaganath 70 9576 November 17, 2015 at 11:19 am
Last Post: dyresand
  My Unfortunate Encounter with a Theist, Too Harsh? Michael Schubert 22 4273 April 29, 2014 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Physics, Hindu Cosmology, God and New Age Inspiration Confused Ape 42 14099 March 20, 2014 at 4:52 am
Last Post: Confused Ape
  Now a Hindu Group Wants a Monument at the Oklahoma Capitol Gooders1002 45 10697 December 15, 2013 at 2:17 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Can someone be hindu and a Atheist? Lemonvariable72 20 6217 November 10, 2013 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Dionysius
  Bizarre Encounter Erinome 42 14704 June 16, 2012 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Epimethean
  Why This Preacher Chose 09.09.09 To Hijack A Plane... Retorth 14 4380 September 12, 2009 at 3:03 am
Last Post: theVOID