Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abuse
Abuse
It seems to be acceptable to call people an "asshole" on this site. In the UK this would be deemed personal abuse. Is it seen differently in other countries?
RE: Abuse
Fuck off isn't very nice, either... but there it is.
(May 19, 2012 at 12:03 pm)Paul the Human Wrote: Fuck off isn't very nice, either... but there it is.

Very good. Bravo. Clap

If it's an apt description of ones behavior/personality, I don't see a problem calling anyone an asshole (or being called one). If it's uncalled for, why care if someone calls you an asshole?
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(May 19, 2012 at 12:06 pm)Kayenneh Wrote: If it's an apt description of ones behavior/personality, I don't see a problem calling anyone an asshole (or being called one). If it's uncalled for, why care if someone calls you an asshole?

I didn't say I cared, I just wondered if it's a cultural thing, probably says more about the person resorting to using abuse really..
(May 19, 2012 at 12:08 pm)StatCrux Wrote: I didn't say I cared, I just wondered if it's a cultural thing, probably says more about the person resorting to using abuse really..

Nah, I just think you're being overly sensitive. You can be called a tactless idiot (regarding the comment you wrote, that got you labeled as an asshole), if you'd prefer.

When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

It's not like being called an asshole is going to cause you serious trauma though, is it? "Personal abuse" my arse.

The UK's laws on this are ridiculous. You can be arrested for what a random police officer deems an insult. For example, a man was recently arrested for calling a police officer's horse "a bit gay".
(May 19, 2012 at 12:12 pm)Kayenneh Wrote:
(May 19, 2012 at 12:08 pm)StatCrux Wrote: I didn't say I cared, I just wondered if it's a cultural thing, probably says more about the person resorting to using abuse really..

Nah, I just think you're being overly sensitive. You can be called a tactless idiot (regarding the comment you wrote, that got you labeled as an asshole), if you'd prefer.

So what is so tactful in response, or even in any way beneficial about calling someone an "asshole" are you saying it was the intelligent and helpful thing to do in the situation?

(May 19, 2012 at 12:20 pm)Tobie Wrote: It's not like being called an asshole is going to cause you serious trauma though, is it? "Personal abuse" my arse.

The UK's laws on this are ridiculous. You can be arrested for what a random police officer deems an insult. For example, a man was recently arrested for calling a police officer's horse "a bit gay".

Ahh ok, so it is a cultural thing. Any moderators here who could settle this matter? Is it acceptable in certain situations to refer to other members as "assholes" if so, perhaps you could be specific about those situations?

I'm closing this thread. Threads made to bitch about other members are pointless and only lead to flame wars. You have brought up your issue with staff. That is sufficient.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Substance Abuse Recovery Thread Thumpalumpacus 223 20081 November 15, 2017 at 4:27 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Sex abuse: Denmark vs. USA Aractus 7 6586 October 13, 2015 at 4:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Retired Pastor's Autobiography and detailed abuse by organized relgion. bladevalant546 4 949 August 5, 2014 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: bladevalant546
  Admin Abuse The_Flying_Skeptic 34 8550 May 3, 2010 at 10:06 am
Last Post: Eilonnwy