Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New here and I'm probably gonna sound mean!
Wink 
New here and I'm probably gonna sound mean!
Ah crap.... this is probably going to sound really mean!

I was raised Mormon. I wish I could say that it's been easy to get away from it and that way of thinking, but it hasn't been. I never really "fit in" because when I was five I believed that dinosaurs really had existed and I started to love science and evolution. But to this day I have a hard time wearing shirts that don't have sleeves and shorts that show anything above the knee. I'm now 23 and I left the church when I was 18.

In the past year I have been very open about my views and my very obvious dislike of the bible. Lately however I have realized I don't like Christians as a whole. My best friend is Christian, so I can't say I dislike them individually, but as a whole they drive me crazy for the following reasons;

1. They only pay attention to certain parts of the bible. Take gay marriage for example, because the bible says that marriage should be between a man and a woman. Well, the bible also says that we should own slaves and kill those who work on the sabbath. What about those laws and all of the others? Who picks which of the bibles laws to follow? If you're going to follow one, then follow all of them!

2. Have you ever tried to have a logical conversation with a Christian? It's impossible abut 90% of the time. "No, evolution did NOT happen! The devil put those things in the earth to trick the non believers!" Wow, the devil must be one smart guy then.

3. They think that their religion is better than all others, and if they meet someone who isn't Christian, they automatically put themselves above the other person. If a person isn't Christian, then they obviously aren't a good person.

4. In this country it is considered perfectly fine and normal to be a Christian but not to be anything else.

My family is mostly Mormon. I often get messages from them telling me that I need to be saved and that I am worse than someone who wasn't ever introduced to the Mormon church because I have been shown the right path but I am choosing not to follow it. My fiance's family is Catholic and Christian... some of them even go to the kind of church where they "speak in tongues" and run around the church with a flag, for some reason I don't understand. I won't even get into what a headache that is. "Does anyone want to pay Bible Taboo? Oh... that's right... we have a non believer."

It would be so nice to actually know people who have the same views and an open mind to science and logic. I wouldn't say I'm an atheist, more on the free thinking side of things I suppose.
RE: New here and I'm probably gonna sound mean!
If you don't believe in any gods, you're an atheist; that is all atheist means.

You don't sound mean at all.

Welcome.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
I know Wink I'm just not sure if I believe something is up there or not.

Thanks for the welcome!!
Ditto Welcome CR88 Hi
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
The Bible allows for slavery, but that does mean we have to own slaves. Also I believe the term slave is closest to the indentured servants that paid off their voyage to America during the early Colonial days.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
Welcome!
Quote:I was raised Mormon.

So was Romney. Thing is, you got over it.
Hello mate - I dont think I've ever heard of an ex-mormon before, the force is strong in this one
(May 23, 2012 at 12:21 am)CR88 Wrote: I know Wink I'm just not sure if I believe something is up there or not.

Thanks for the welcome!!

None of us really are sure.

But that doesn't stop us living good lives.

P.s Hi from Western Oz
(May 23, 2012 at 12:34 am)Polaris Wrote: The Bible allows for slavery, but that does mean we have to own slaves.
If it's in the bible, then it means your god is ok with it.
Quote:Also I believe the term slave is closest to the indentured servants that paid off their voyage to America during the early Colonial days.

Really? based on what evidence?
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Hiya CR88! Welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hi everybody! New here (She/It) requiredfield 22 588 April 2, 2024 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  New Here Nomistic 13 621 February 12, 2024 at 1:42 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  I'm new here Sigiere 14 1002 May 24, 2023 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  New here Rdougall 9 1267 January 27, 2023 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  New guy here Roykok 8 1101 November 10, 2022 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie