Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 12, 2024, 11:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question I want to raise
Question I want to raise
Forgive me if I am speaking from an Australian prespective. However here in Australia same sex and de-facto couples have essentially the most of the benefits which are given to those couples who are considered legally married.

So I pose a question to those who oppose the legal of same sex marriages. Why just stop at preventing the legal recognition of same sex marriages if you want to protect the institution of marriage. Why not strip same sex and defacto couples of the legal benefits they and married couples enjoy?

If I were a "bible believing" Christian I would be advocating this political position and not care in the least for those who oppose it. Since I would believe that my position is supported by the word of the creator of the universe.
undefined
RE: Question I want to raise
Quote:So I pose a question to those who oppose the legal of same sex marriages. Why just stop at preventing the legal recognition of same sex marriages if you want to protect the institution of marriage. Why not strip same sex and defacto couples of the legal benefits they and married couples enjoy?
Why should one do that, really?
They enjoy the same legal benefits, true, but they do not enjoy the same social acceptance and burden, the responsibility that is associated with marriage. And I don't think that society ever did expect such a thing from homosexual couples anyways.
It's a middle path, I believe, that is acceptable, yes?
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
(May 25, 2012 at 12:25 am)kılıç_mehmet Wrote:
Quote:So I pose a question to those who oppose the legal of same sex marriages. Why just stop at preventing the legal recognition of same sex marriages if you want to protect the institution of marriage. Why not strip same sex and defacto couples of the legal benefits they and married couples enjoy?
Why should one do that, really?
They enjoy the same legal benefits, true, but they do not enjoy the same social acceptance and burden, the responsibility that is associated with marriage. And I don't think that society ever did expect such a thing from homosexual couples anyways.

Kılıç_mehmet,

The question I posed was to generally Christian opponents of the legal recongition of same sex marriages.

Anyway when I refer to the legal recognition of same sex marriages. Because such marriages are already occurring, they are just not recognised as such by law in most countries. In my country for example two people of the same sex marrying each other arent arrested or such an act is illegal. Such marriages arent recognised by the government as marriages as opposed to civil unions or domestic partnerships.
undefined
(May 25, 2012 at 1:56 am)Justtristo Wrote:
(May 25, 2012 at 12:25 am)kılıç_mehmet Wrote: Why should one do that, really?

Kılıç_mehmet,

The question I posed was to generally Christian opponents of the legal recongition of same sex marriages.

Anyway when I refer to the legal recognition of same sex marriages. Because such marriages are already occurring, they are just not recognised as such by law in most countries. In my country for example two people of the same sex marrying each other arent arrested or such an act is illegal. Such marriages arent recognised by the government as marriages as opposed to civil unions or domestic partnerships.
Well, I don't have to be christian to oppose it though. Besides, I don't think that Christianity has anything to do with what kind of legal benefits the Australian state grants to gay couples. However, marriage is something that goes beyond economic benefits.
Marriage is something that is both a legal and a social thing. Recognition by law makes it a marriage by law, but this is not what activists strive for.
Marriage here is just a symbolic gesture. A gesture in which gay couples are put on the same level as a heterosexual couple, the traditional norm of marriage, which is able to produce children and create a family that complies with the bare minimum social standards.

Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
(May 25, 2012 at 1:56 am)Justtristo Wrote:
(May 25, 2012 at 12:25 am)kılıç_mehmet Wrote: Why should one do that, really?

Kılıç_mehmet,

At the end of the day it is the Governmental legislation that counts ...not religion.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Oh good heavens they're trying to be put "on the same level" as everyone else. Uppity faggots. Can't have that, whats next, cats marrying dogs? Jerkoff
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
edit - wrong thread. beer at lunch was a bad idea
(May 25, 2012 at 10:11 am)Chuff Wrote: edit - wrong thread. beer at lunch was a bad idea

Don't you say that, don't you *ever* say that.
Beer at lunch is *always* a good idea.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
(May 25, 2012 at 7:06 am)Rhythm Wrote: Oh good heavens they're trying to be put "on the same level" as everyone else. Uppity faggots. Can't have that, whats next, cats marrying dogs? Jerkoff

What a nice world we have where a bunch of people who had not even enjoyed the right to have a private life, and had to deal with laws regarding sodomy in the last century can dictate how government policies regarding marriage should be changed. I guess the next thing we know that they'll want a country for themselves, so that they can escape the cruel world of the normals.
A world that they obviously do not want to live in accordance with.
(May 25, 2012 at 10:11 am)Chuff Wrote: beer at lunch was a bad idea

Blasphemer! Heretic!

Beer at lunch is never a bad idea.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is "Be the part of the change you want to see in the world!" bullshit? FlatAssembler 45 2335 February 3, 2024 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Two things I want to talk about, politics wise ShinyCrystals 39 2595 September 23, 2023 at 6:39 am
Last Post: no one
  Ukrainians dont want to learn Russian language Interaktive 2 318 July 31, 2022 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Interaktive
  Want to sell more guns? Vote ( D ) onlinebiker 145 8218 February 26, 2021 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Are you sure you want to do that? onlinebiker 40 2228 January 12, 2021 at 12:07 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Do you REALLY want things to change? onlinebiker 16 1576 September 19, 2020 at 4:45 am
Last Post: GUBU
  US - raise the gas tax onlinebiker 55 3520 November 30, 2018 at 10:25 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Who do you want to be the Democratic nominee in 2020? CapnAwesome 71 4267 September 14, 2018 at 1:25 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The Nazis Want To Permanently Queer The Deal Minimalist 2 601 July 24, 2017 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  I want to know, why do these people hate Obama so much? NuclearEnergy 42 15060 July 21, 2017 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Jehanne