Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Messier 45, the Pleiades, in Taurus
Messier 45, the Pleiades, in Taurus
[Image: m45a-1.jpg]

Messier 45 (also known as the Pleiades), is an open star cluster containing middle-aged hot blue B-type stars located in the constellation of Taurus. It is among the nearest star clusters to Earth and is the cluster most obvious to the naked eye in the winter night sky. Wispy clouds of nebular dust reflect the light from the star clusters' most active members.

Note: Some of the 'sisters' are not shown in the image, because I could not get the entire cluster to fit on the image.

This astronomical object presents a challenge for astrophotographers because of the huge variation in brightness between the clusters' stars and the faint wispy reflection nebula. I hope to do an HDR (high dynamic range) image of this object this fall.

Image taken on November 9, 2010 at Taylorsville Lake, Kentucky
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
RE: Messier 45, the Pleiades, in Taurus
I got to show this to my fiance for the first time with his naked eye when we went to visit my parents. There are virtually no lights out there.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Heart Thankyou Orogenicman!!
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(May 26, 2012 at 2:30 am)Annik Wrote: I got to show this to my fiance for the first time with his naked eye when we went to visit my parents. There are virtually no lights out there.

Where is "out there", and can I join you? Even 60 miles from Louisville, the night sky sucks.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
(May 26, 2012 at 2:40 am)orogenicman Wrote:
(May 26, 2012 at 2:30 am)Annik Wrote: I got to show this to my fiance for the first time with his naked eye when we went to visit my parents. There are virtually no lights out there.

Where is "out there", and can I join you? Even 60 miles from Louisville, the night sky sucks.

Come to Western Australia mate.... 200 billion start restaurant! Big Grin
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(May 26, 2012 at 2:40 am)orogenicman Wrote:

Look up Martin County Correctional Institution in FL and that is where I grew up/my parents live.
(May 26, 2012 at 2:42 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote:
(May 26, 2012 at 2:40 am)orogenicman Wrote: Where is "out there", and can I join you? Even 60 miles from Louisville, the night sky sucks.

Come to Western Australia mate.... 200 billion start restaurant! Big Grin

You have no idea how much I'd love to do that!
(May 26, 2012 at 2:45 am)Annik Wrote:
(May 26, 2012 at 2:40 am)orogenicman Wrote: Where is "out there", and can I join you? Even 60 miles from Louisville, the night sky sucks.

Look up Martin County Correctional Institution in FL and that is where I grew up/my parents live.

Erm, nevermind. I don't do well in 4x6 cells.

- Dr. Donald Prothero
(May 26, 2012 at 3:06 am)orogenicman Wrote:
(May 26, 2012 at 2:42 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Come to Western Australia mate.... 200 billion start restaurant! Big Grin

Yes I think I do..we could take you to a little place not far from Perth, population 300. When Zen was out there last we thought of how much you would love it. The Pleiades are set by 8pm here but we currently have a great view of Scorpio ....
(May 26, 2012 at 3:06 am)orogenicman Wrote:
(May 26, 2012 at 2:42 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Come to Western Australia mate.... 200 billion start restaurant! Big Grin

(May 26, 2012 at 2:45 am)Annik Wrote: Look up Martin County Correctional Institution in FL and that is where I grew up/my parents live.

Erm, nevermind. I don't do well in 4x6 cells.

Lol, you'll be fine. My father works there and I lived in that little neighborhood nestled in there.
Oro, would you mind if I used this picture as a backdrop on my computer? Smile
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Messier 45, in Taurus orogenicman 7 1324 March 31, 2015 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  Messier 20, the Trifid Nebula orogenicman 4 1283 February 15, 2015 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Messier 33, The Triangulum Galaxy orogenicman 0 715 April 26, 2014 at 11:08 pm
  Messier 33, in Triangulum orogenicman 8 2725 September 25, 2013 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Messier 20, The Trifid Nebula, In Sagittarius orogenicman 6 2669 June 7, 2013 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: Baalzebutt
  Messier 3, Globular Cluster in Canes Venatici orogenicman 12 3603 April 17, 2013 at 1:14 am
  Messier 13, Globular Cluster in Hercules orogenicman 0 1278 April 14, 2013 at 2:11 am
  Remix of Messier 8 Core, The Lagoon Nebula orogenicman 2 1432 March 13, 2013 at 11:01 am
  Messier 33, The Pinwheel Galaxy, in Triangulum orogenicman 2 1857 December 9, 2012 at 11:44 am
  Messier 8, The Lagoon Nebula orogenicman 3 2309 December 7, 2012 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Annik