Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why militant?
Why militant?
Reading one of the welcome threads reminded me of some points to why I choose to be militant about my atheism, I thought I'd share my points and while I'm at it get others opinions on the matter.

There are a few things that cause me to want to visit churches or talk to theists about their faith, the first thing I want to mention is my almost intense desire to experience and learn.

I'm not sure when it started but, as far back as I can remember I have always seen it as my place to learn as much as I can. Everything is just so interesting when viewed beside the world under the microscope. I wasn't particularly good at school, especially during my earlier years during which I made some big academic mistakes but, in the end I did manage to find my place with computers and score an A honour roll. It's from this that I desire to be a university professor one day.

So I like to learn, obviously that is not all of it. For one reason or another I seem to be attracted to controversy; I like to be offensive and I like to watch people react to everything I do. Religion becomes one of the hottest topics of all-time when you make yourself open to the possibility of either side being right. Somewhat attached to this is my particular love of psychology; while not an exact science by any means there are some parts of it that are well established. Religion provokes endless swarms of data for a psychological study and I could spend hours a day dissecting a person or groups response to my questions.

The third mention should go to individualism and honesty. From early school age I was never the popular one, a select few friends most of which I trusted and a few that I wonder if they ever really wanted anything to do with me. From this I got to observe and take notes a lot of the time and I developed an extreme hate for 'fake' people. People who lie to each other are a sad reflection on their upbringing; of course I am not talking about the parent who tells their child they have a cold when really they just found out they have cancer because they can't deal. Worse yet than those who needlessly lie to each other to be popular or 'cool' are people who lie to themselves. Masks of make-up and a visualised personality, wearing the popular clothes and walking a walk perfected by years of robotic behaviour. I can't stand these people and choose to follow a motto I learned back in the young year of 2003 at a Air Cadet summer camp. Of course the damn thing is written in Latin but, it means "Lead By Example". I am brutally honest whenever I can be, to myself especially. I refuse to hide who I am and all those years spent sitting in the corner trying not to be seen have created a man who acts like a spotlight with a strobe-like flicker trying to point right into your eyes.

To conclude, I would like to point out that with all of this I am strongly in support of community and social work. The only jobs I consider real jobs are ones that progress society, scientists, teachers, tradesman, inventors and builders. I could not be happy forking for the corporate machine. Community centers are one of the most important buildings in the whole town to me, the church acts like a community center however, a doormat labeled "Us or them and they are not welcome" is destructive and immoral. Truly if we were to search for the antithesis to a true community it would be the church. The elite that believe they are the only ones chosen to be at the top, looking down on the world that gave them everything they have.

I hope that accomplished it's goal of giving some insight into my mind and why I do some things that I choose to do. I look forward to responses and hearing others views on the matter.
http://ca.youtube.com/user/DemonAuraProductions - Check out my videos if you have spare time.
Agnostic
Atheist
I Evolved!
RE: Why militant?
I am militant about my atheism because I'm an asshole. No excuses.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
I'm militant because I'm stupid enough to care.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
(June 14, 2009 at 2:41 pm)LEDO Wrote: I am militant about my atheism because I'm an asshole. No excuses.

Oh I like you.
http://ca.youtube.com/user/DemonAuraProductions - Check out my videos if you have spare time.
Agnostic
Atheist
I Evolved!
Awesome story D-Aura - you seem like a really cool guy. I respect such an attitude.

My reasons are pretty much the same!! The truth is important to me...honesty is very important - for me honesty is not just the best policy - it's a way of life!! Curiosity is important...I love dialogue...and moreover: I think Freedom of Speech is very important indeed. If religious people are going to express themselves them so am I... - I'm not gonna be dick to them about it...but I will be dick to their beliefs about it.

Whether I respect a religious person, as with everyone else - depends on the person.

However - I always...always always always - disrespect their stupid fucking beliefs if I can...and I always let them know whenever I fucking can...and as much as possible.

EvF
(June 14, 2009 at 2:41 pm)LEDO Wrote: I am militant about my atheism because I'm an asshole. No excuses.

Oh, I like you.

IF I ever change teams,you're first..Cool Shades

Quote:I'm militant because I'm stupid enough to care.

Kyu

Probably the most disingenuous thing I've seen you post. You're anything but stupid or naive. IF you care it's far more likely to be because of some neurotic need for order or control rather than altruism.OF COURSE, I could be in error.I don't know you,so you may well indeed be that stupid. On the other hand,it could just as well be that I formed that conclusion because I REALLY don't give a flying fuck what others believe and lack empathy with you.Thinking
There is one thing I wanted to mention that I forgot to bring up. A short point basically just saying how I see debate as a effective method of learning for both parties involved. While at it I want to thank Adrian for his encouragement during the Creation vs. Evolution debate, it was my very first and I was looking to him for example.

Also EvF, I appreciate it. I'm quite happy for the friends I have here on the forum.
Agnostic
Atheist
I Evolved!
(June 14, 2009 at 8:08 pm)padraic Wrote:
Quote:I'm militant because I'm stupid enough to care.
Probably the most disingenuous thing I've seen you post. You're anything but stupid or naive. IF you care it's far more likely to be because of some neurotic need for order or control rather than altruism.OF COURSE, I could be in error.I don't know you,so you may well indeed be that stupid. On the other hand,it could just as well be that I formed that conclusion because I REALLY don't give a flying fuck what others believe and lack empathy with you.Thinking

I do care ... there's little I can do to persuade you that's true though I have formed a repeated series of websites (though FIST, Evolution Armoury and the current incarnation, UK Tech Portal) in support of what I believe to be the right thing, I started a campaign called "Science, Just Science" and created a petition opposing the teaching of creationism in science classes (to which I received a government reply).

If saying that I care based on that equates to being disingenuous then I guess I must be [SHRUG].

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Quote:If saying that I care based on that equates to being disingenuous then I guess I must be [SHRUG].

Nah,it's a false dichotomy,on which I thought you'd pounce. It's just as likely that my view is skewed because I'm a nasty cynical old prick. I accept there are altruistic acts,but not that there is any such creature as an altruistic human being. Of course I may be wrong; I'll let you know should I ever meet one.Cool Shades
Try me on for size Padraic Wink - if others are happy then I'm happy. I like to have fun of course - but if 'all is well' then I'm well (unless I'm physically unwell or something, of course). If that's not aultruistic then I don't know what is; and then I guess I'm not :S Smile

Freedom of speech is very important to me though. I won't be 'fake' to be nice. I speak my mind and the truth is the most important thing to me of all... - but I like to see others happy, it makes me happy.

EvF

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Militant Atheism? Data 274 8963 September 24, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Christianity's Valuable Contributions to Humanity: An Examination of Militant Atheism Nishant Xavier 137 6646 September 8, 2023 at 4:18 am
Last Post: no one
  "All Scientists Should Be Militant Atheists" SmootherPebble 66 15370 September 20, 2015 at 10:08 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Quiet Atheist vs Militant Atheist z7z 62 11497 May 18, 2015 at 1:32 am
Last Post: abentwookie
  My Thoughts On Militant Atheism Celestine 248 46475 September 19, 2014 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: AtheistBuddha
  Militant Atheism? Jovanian Teapot 30 5428 April 26, 2014 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.
  How Should We React When a ‘Militant Atheist’ Beats Up a Pastor? Gooders1002 40 13101 November 5, 2013 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Why, Why,Why! Lemonvariable72 14 3464 October 2, 2013 at 1:21 pm
  Militant atheism: Why it exists, and why we need it. Creed of Heresy 71 29128 April 26, 2012 at 9:07 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  militant atheists with circular ideology the6dead 16 4588 April 22, 2011 at 6:01 pm