Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favourite Quotations & Bon Mots
Favourite Quotations & Bon Mots

"The intellectual advancement of man depends upon how often he can exchange an old superstition
for a new truth. The church never enabled a human being to make even one of these exchanges;
on the contrary, all her power has been used to prevent them."

— Robert G. Ingersoll

It’s now very common to hear people say, “I’m rather offended by that”, as if that gives them certain rights.
It’s no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase.
“I’m offended by that.” Well, so fucking what?

— Stephen Fry

“Major Major had been born too late and too mediocre. Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity,
and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them. With Major Major it had been all three. Even among men lacking
all distinction he inevitably stood out as a man lacking more distinction than all the rest,
and people who met him were always impressed by how unimpressive he was.”

— Joseph Heller, Catch-22

I was making love to this girl and she started crying.
I said, 'Are you going to hate yourself in the morning?'
She said, 'No, I hate myself right now.'

— Rodney Dangerfield

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

— Plato

“Remain pure all your life; guard your own honor and never transgress the honor of others.
Be very tranquil, but when necessary, harden your heart.”

— Bhuvaneshwari Devi, mother of Swami Vivekananda

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
RE: Favourite Quotations & Bon Mots
I love the Catch-22 quote.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
"All writers are vain, selfish and lazy, and at the very bottom of their motives lies a mystery. Writing a book is a long, exhausting struggle, like a long bout of some painful illness. One would never undertake such a thing if one were not driven by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand." ~ George Orwell
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

J.R.R Tolkien
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
(May 28, 2012 at 5:13 pm)Tobie Wrote: If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

J.R.R Tolkien

Give up sainthood, renounce wisdom,
And it will be a hundred times better for everyone.

Laozi, The Tao Te Ching, Chapter 19

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
"The first person to hurl an insult instead of a stone, started civilization" Freud

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions" Thomas Jefferson

"Personal certitude has an inverse relationship with truth" (Tarquin St John Shagnasty)

"All generalities are lies " (anon)
"If two people always agree then one of them is unnecessary."

"...quotes are often taken out of context." - unknown

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

"If Jesus had been killed twenty years ago, Catholic school children would be wearing little electric chairs around their necks instead of crosses." - Lenny Bruce

"You cannot strengthen one by weakening another; and you cannot add to the stature of a dwarf by cutting off the leg of a giant." - Benjamin Franklin Fairless
(May 29, 2012 at 2:42 am)Tempus Wrote: "...quotes are often taken out of context." - unknown

Bullshit. You took that completely out of context.
(May 29, 2012 at 3:26 am)Tiberius Wrote:
(May 29, 2012 at 2:42 am)Tempus Wrote: "...quotes are often taken out of context." - unknown

Bullshit. You took that completely out of context.

dude,,,, no u shuld do sum fuken research becoz i ate bacon an then time went buy wit extreme prejudice..., so i dunno man u realy shuld maek sure u do becoz i hav so srory dude your totally wrong,,.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you have a favourite raptor? BrianSoddingBoru4 14 944 July 31, 2020 at 1:40 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Do you have a favourite rodent? BrianSoddingBoru4 24 1764 July 26, 2020 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: Gnomey
  What's your favourite songs with sax in it? Little lunch 32 2781 June 20, 2018 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What's your favourite SUBWAY®? ignoramus 33 6569 April 18, 2018 at 7:41 am
Last Post: Antares
  Quotations Dave B 1 246 November 20, 2017 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  My favourite comedians smashing SJW journalists. paulpablo 0 540 June 18, 2017 at 5:18 am
Last Post: paulpablo
Star Your favourite Atheist Celebrities Quotes! Zaphod Beeblebrox 20 5650 September 20, 2016 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Your favourite TV show is racist challenge. paulpablo 66 9878 September 15, 2016 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Index of great threads and my favourite discussions robvalue 17 7459 December 2, 2015 at 11:50 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Top 5 favourite rivals? ignoramus 31 5279 November 16, 2015 at 1:56 am
Last Post: KevinM1