Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A theist boyfriend?
A theist boyfriend?
I know this one guy and we both really do like each others. He is sweet and caring but I cant seem to get over the fact that he is a hardcore christian. He asked me "do you really think we came from monkeys?" and i said no and explain why we really didnt come from monkeys that is bad knowledge... Well he said he thinks the whole evolution thing is garbage and I feel pathetic but one part of me just want to explode but I didnt because I didnt want piss him off. What are some of your experience with dating theist and maybe what I should do?
RE: A theist boyfriend?
Quote:What are some of your experience with dating theist and maybe what I should do?

Have dated theists? Yes, lots.. Did any of them work out well? No. But then, neither did any relationships with atheists. Tiger

What should you do? I guess that depends on how accepting you are of each other's beliefs. (or lack of them) Neither of you has any right of expectation of change in the other,which is just as well;few people are capable of profound change on demand.

Seems to me you have three choices;say nothing and let things slide,allowing your resentment to build until your head explodes, accept him as he is or drop him and move on. Expecting him to change is probably not a realistic option.
Quote:but I cant seem to get over the fact that he is a hardcore christian.

Check out some of the hardcore xtians around here and ask yourself if you can tolerate that much stupidity in your life?
(May 29, 2012 at 1:51 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:but I cant seem to get over the fact that he is a hardcore christian.

Check out some of the hardcore xtians around here and ask yourself if you can tolerate that much stupidity in your life?

Excellent answer Min. I couldn't, I'd be terrified of a folie a deux and/or of beating her to death with her bible.

Being married to a Catholic was bad enough. (she went back to the Church after we had be married 10 years; I was horrified) Banghead
If he respects that you have a different opinion and beliefs, then there shouldn't be a problem. The key thing in a relationship is to accept differences and focus on the similarities.
I would say another key thing would be that you respect your partner and don't regard them as an idiot. Are you going to be able to say that when they're asking questions like 'Do you really believe we come from monkeys?'. They sound like a dolt. Are you going to just ignore this massive part of their life? Are you going to be able to?

For my part, someone who believed in God, I could possibly handle - although I suspect their God would be some kind of wishy washy new age kind of God that doesn't require much worship, reading etc.; basically the more devout they were, the less likely it would be to succeed for obvious reasons. A creationist would be straight out.
Quote:Expecting him to change is probably not a realistic option.

^This. When getting into a relationship, you should look to the long term and try to determine if the person seems like someone you can tolerate over a long period. Going into a relationship with hopes of changing a person usually ends in disappointment.

As far as my experience, I dated a theist, and then I married her. She, however, is as passive of a theist as they come. She doesn't go to church, and the only religious rules she follows is not eating meat on Friday during Lent. We've gotten along just fine, but if she was a hard core, evolution denying bible thumper I don't think it would have happened.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
My advice (concerning all relationships) is:

a) Can you respect your partner? Are you respected in return?
If not, I can assure you that it will not work. It's horrible to be in either position.

b) Does your partner have a negative side that you cannot tolerate?
If you answer yes, no good side of his/hers will ever be enough.

Other than that, do what feels right to you and good luck! Smile
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(May 29, 2012 at 9:23 am)Kayenneh Wrote: My advice (concerning all relationships) is:

a) Can you respect your partner? Are you respected in return?
If not, I can assure you that it will not work. It's horrible to be in either position.

b) Does your partner have a negative side that you cannot tolerate?
If you answer yes, no good side of his/hers will ever be enough.

Other than that, do what feels right to you and good luck! Smile

man, is this all true and the part i bolded is 100% true imho. awesome advice.
they can land a rover on mars, yet they still have to stick a human finger up my ass to do a prostate exam?! - ricky gervais
I'm with a theist, but we're okay with not talking about our differences of opinion on that too much.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion Astreja 5 436 July 22, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 1942 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I received a letter from a theist, need a good reply Radamand 22 1931 March 22, 2022 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Why do theist often drop the letter s when referring to atheists? I_am_not_mafia 56 11813 August 23, 2018 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
Tongue Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic Cecelia 983 146121 June 6, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Raven Orlock
  Why was Newton a theist? Alexmahone 65 12565 March 24, 2018 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why America is anti-theist. Goosebump 3 1096 March 1, 2018 at 9:06 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Hug a Theist vulcanlogician 31 5514 December 23, 2017 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Sad I am a theist, what do you think of my proof for God existing? Mariosep 1101 112753 December 12, 2016 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  Theist ➤ Why ☠ Evolution is not Scientific ✔ The Joker 348 44526 November 26, 2016 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: Amarok