Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Does atheism inspire people?
Does atheism inspire people?
Christianity and religion have inspired great works of art, poetry and literature. Is there any evidence of atheism inspiring anyone to create anything? Even if religion or belief in God are delusional the power to inspire people to great things is unquestionable. I can't think of any poetry, art, music or literature inspired by atheism..
RE: Does atheism inspire people?
Atheism simply means without theism, the question is pointless.
You're essentially asking "does your lack of theism inspire......"
Another way of looking at it - 'Does your lack of belief in Thor/Odin/FSM inspire......ect ect'.

The only way I can answer is to state that I live my life like any other......just without religion. I inspire myself. That's all that needs to be said on my part.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Faulty question.

Let me clarify, can you think of any art, poetry, music or literature that was inspired by a lack of belief in faeries.

Can you see why its a dumb question yet?

Without religion, atheism would be a meaningless term.

To my sorrow however, I do think of many great pieces of art inspired by religion, and think of all the amazing pieces of art, poetry, music and literature we've LOST that would have been inspired by the world, universe, nature, people.

I would argue, that regardless of the beauty of a religious piece of artwork, it would have been made greater if the artists were allowed a wider worldview to draw their experiences.

You start with the assumption religion created these pieces of art, not the talent of the individual.

EDIT: Gah, Ace, beat me to the point Tongue
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
(May 31, 2012 at 6:19 am)Ace Otana Wrote: Atheism simply means without theism, the question is pointless.
Another way of looking at it - 'Does your lack of belief in Thor/Odin/FSM inspire......ect ect'.

The only way I can answer is to state that I live my life like any other......just without religion. I inspire myself. That's all that needs to be said on my part.

That would be a "no" then...
(May 31, 2012 at 6:24 am)StatCrux Wrote:
(May 31, 2012 at 6:19 am)Ace Otana Wrote: Atheism simply means without theism, the question is pointless.

That would be a "no" then...

It's a pointless question. Undecided

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
I fail to see how an absence of belief in something can be inspiring.

Science though, that is incredibly inspirational.

Way more than religion will ever be.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(May 31, 2012 at 6:23 am)NoMoreFaith Wrote: Faulty question.

Let me clarify, can you think of any art, poetry, music or literature that was inspired by a lack of belief in faeries.
So, if belief in God does have the power of inspiration, does lack of belief also lack in inspiration? Simple equation really.

If believing in God provides inspiration then lack of belief must remove that inspiration, hence the lack of art, music, poetry and literature arising from atheistic thinking. The very things that define us as humans and make life meaningful.

(May 31, 2012 at 6:30 am)Zen Badger Wrote: I fail to see how an absence of belief in something can be inspiring.

I agree, it isn't.
(May 31, 2012 at 6:24 am)StatCrux Wrote: That would be a "no" then...

Nobody said that. We said it was an irrelevant question.

Reverse the question.

Would great art exist without religion?

1. Great art exists that is not inspired by religion
2. Religion inspires great pieces of art
3. If there were no religion, great art would still exist.
4. Therefore religion is non-essential to great art.

/end.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
(May 31, 2012 at 6:30 am)StatCrux Wrote:
(May 31, 2012 at 6:23 am)NoMoreFaith Wrote: Faulty question.

So, if belief in God does have the power of inspiration, does lack of belief also lack in inspiration? Simple equation really.

If believing in God provides inspiration then lack of belief must remove that inspiration, hence the lack of art, music, poetry and literature arising from atheistic thinking. The very things that define us as humans and make life meaningful.

(May 31, 2012 at 6:30 am)Zen Badger Wrote: I fail to see how an absence of belief in something can be inspiring.

I agree, it isn't.

I notice that you ignored the rest of my post.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Also inspiration can come from many things. It's not restricted to just religion. That's completely stupid.
Like the mysteries of space, the cosmos for example. Science can provide much inspiration.

The question you pose is pointless. Seeing as atheism simply means without theism. That's what the 'A' is for. It means without. Without theism and in no way does it mean without meaning or inspiration.
Just thought I'd point that out. Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does your atheism come as a package? FrustratedFool 75 5236 October 7, 2023 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1949 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Does some people need God? purplepurpose 29 3101 January 17, 2021 at 9:25 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Does the roo knows all the answers to atheism Gummro 44 8196 January 29, 2018 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Does atheism oppose the world religions? cosmology 31 6216 January 4, 2018 at 10:52 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Does Atheism Matter If You're A Slave? freezone 2 1266 November 28, 2017 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27130 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Does Jesus Mythicism give atheism a bad name? Jehanne 44 6776 May 19, 2016 at 11:03 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ways to introduce people to Atheism? Veritas 24 5110 December 24, 2015 at 1:20 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  Why Does Atheism Have to be False? crosssaves 66 13905 June 21, 2015 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Whateverist