Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Every nuclear explosion since 1945
Thumbs Up 
This is a time lapse of every single nuclear explosion since 1945.

It takes a while to get into it, but I personally found it absolutely fascinating, and at the same time rather worrying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLCF7vPan...re=related

I bet for most people they will be shocked at the actual quantity of explosions there have been throughout the years. Certainly I didn't realise how many there had been.
RE: Every nuclear explosion since 1945
A sad and disgusting picture mankind has painted on its own world. That's not even counting all of the fallout crap from nuclear accidents.

What was the point of any of this?

Why the hell we do still arrogantly fool ourselves into thinking we can control nuclear power and play with its waste as if it were putty?

Oh wait, I'm part of the same violent stupid species that still worships desert gods and hunts whales aren't I?
(June 1, 2012 at 4:50 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: Why the hell we do still arrogantly fool ourselves into thinking we can control nuclear power and play with its waste as if it were putty?
Bullshit. We can control nuclear power and even make it "safe".

The thorium reactors that use molten salts are exceptionally safe. Unfortunately, ask yourself, who sells reactors.

You'll find it is GE and they still hawk Gen 1 and Gen 2 PWR's, which are so uneconomical that if you compared the cost of operation and production with the cost of installation and clean up, they NEVER fucking pay for themselves. They're also ridiculously unsafe compared to what we can do now.

However, big money has another way of talking.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
(June 1, 2012 at 4:50 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: A sad and disgusting picture mankind has painted on its own world. That's not even counting all of the fallout crap from nuclear accidents.

What was the point of any of this?

Why the hell we do still arrogantly fool ourselves into thinking we can control nuclear power and play with its waste as if it were putty?

Oh wait, I'm part of the same violent stupid species that still worships desert gods and hunts whales aren't I?
Is there a point to avoiding extinction? If there is, it would probably have to be achieved through mastering and using nuclear energy on a much broader scale than hitherto safe to claim in any public policy.

In any case, the fallout from nuclear accidents is a small price to pay to avoid the fallout from fossil fuel consumption nuclear energy replaced.
My country wins. USA! USA!
(June 1, 2012 at 6:33 pm)Chuck Wrote: Is there a point to avoiding extinction?
Self preservation? But that has relatively nothing to do with my dumbfoundedness at our sheer stupidity.

Quote:If there is, it would probably have to be achieved through mastering and using nuclear energy on a much broader scale than hitherto safe to claim in any public policy.
Accidents happen. Fact of life. Problem is, nuclear accidents have far-reaching and global consequences that screw up our environment for thousands and thousands of years to come.

No matter how "safe" you make, what the hell are you supposed to do with mankind's legacy? Aka all the damn Plutonium we've made?

Quote:In any case, the fallout from nuclear accidents is a small price to pay to avoid the fallout from fossil fuel consumption nuclear energy replaced.
I hope you're joking. I really do.

(June 1, 2012 at 7:04 pm)Mosrhun Wrote: My country wins. USA! USA!
Yes, you've done a remarkable job at nuking yourselves.

I'm disgusted my country even left off one of those damn things, let alone dozens of them.
Coincidentally ,there was a doco last night called "World's Biggest Bomb". In part,it dealt with Soviet HIGH ALTITUDE Soviet nuclear testing in 1961. The radioactive clouds drifted for HUNDREDS of miles and effected many thousands.

It's a National Geographic film so should be available elsewhere on line if the link below doesn't work.

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/224...ggest-Bomb
It was a joke, welsh.
America sure likes blowing shit up.

1,000 nuclear tests?

You can imagine after test #4 or something, them saying "yep, it explodes", and somebody else saying "let's juuuuust try one more, you know, just to make sure"
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

(June 1, 2012 at 9:03 pm)Norfolk And Chance Wrote: America sure likes blowing shit up.

1,000 nuclear tests?

You can imagine after test #4 or something, them saying "yep, it explodes", and somebody else saying "let's juuuuust try one more, you know, just to make sure"

Ok, I understand the concerns about fall out, but the above rationale is just silly.

You don't invest in a weapons technology that you test a HANDFUL of times and say "yep it explodes". Shit like that happens to blow up in your face when you do that. Not to mention all the additional developments, like migrating from more of a dirty bomb that converts the tiniest fraction of matter to energy to incredibly powerful but "clean" (compared to a dirty bomb) hydrogen bombs.

I am more curious as to the changes in yield, initial mass to detonate, etc,. It would tell a lot more about the early understanding of nuclear physics and the relative rate of scientific advancements thereafter.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  US stock markets worst loss since 2008 downbeatplumb 6 642 November 3, 2018 at 5:01 am
Last Post: Brian37
  So Not Every WLB Voter Was a Racist Retard. Minimalist 16 1131 October 29, 2018 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  So I guess since the GOP is in power now they really don't give a fuck about this now GODZILLA 3 1236 June 29, 2018 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Nuclear War must become obsolete OP/ED Brian37 43 3211 March 23, 2018 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  A WLB Supporter And Every Bit As Big A Pig Minimalist 1 474 January 12, 2018 at 4:15 am
Last Post: NuclearEnergy
  America drops "largest non-nuclear bomb in history" on Afganistan Aroura 77 12066 April 17, 2017 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  NI election turnout highest since Good Friday Agreement account_inactive 1 662 March 4, 2017 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  Trump put call with Putin on hold to ask his aides to explain our nuclear arms treaty Aegon 43 6853 February 14, 2017 at 10:34 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Putin Ally threatens Nuclear War if Trump loses, says woman can't lead USA Divinity 87 11689 October 18, 2016 at 1:17 am
Last Post: Arkilogue
  "Taco trucks on every corner" warns Latinos For Trump ReptilianPeon 34 2702 September 5, 2016 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus