Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you know this one?
Do you know this one?
I enjoyed working on this little chestnut. Maybe you will too.

Use unit blocks (1 by 1 by 1 cubes) to build a larger cube with an odd edge length at least three unit blocks long. Now remove one stack of blocks (1 by 1 by n) from the larger cube. Explain why the number of blocks remaining must always be divisible by 24.
RE: Do you know this one?
I can explain mathematically, in the form of a Proof by Induction.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
(June 3, 2012 at 11:26 am)Tobie Wrote: I can explain mathematically, in the form of a Proof by Induction.

Well then I'd better specify that I'd like to hear something deductive. Without a doubt it is true and every such cube you test will be divisible by 24, but why must that be? I don't care if the response is a formal proof. I'm just looking for a structural accounting that guarantees divisibility by 24.
There's nothing wrong with proof by induction.
Huh I feel stupid now...
Drop the modular arithmetic on this sucker! It's super-straightforward.
So these philosophers were all like, "That Kant apply universally!" And then these mathematicians were all like, "Oh yes it Kan!"
I've been wracking my seemingly limited brains for hours...still nothing.
(June 3, 2012 at 12:29 pm)Tiberius Wrote: There's nothing wrong with proof by induction.

No one ever said that. Straw man.

He wants to see a solution in a particular fashion. Nothing that states all other solutions are incorrect or 'wrong' is written here.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
(June 3, 2012 at 10:21 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote:
(June 3, 2012 at 12:29 pm)Tiberius Wrote: There's nothing wrong with proof by induction.

No one ever said that. Straw man.

He wants to see a solution in a particular fashion. Nothing that states all other solutions are incorrect or 'wrong' is written here.

Tobie shared his proof by induction with me by PM. A thing of beauty to be sure. As satisfying as anything else I've seen for this problem. So I agree, nothing at all wrong with induction.

Perhaps he'll consent to share it with us all soon. In the mean time, I usually ask exceptional middle school students to show me why every such construction must have three factors of 2 and one of 3, hence divisibility by 24. Some can account for the factor of 3 and two of the factors of 2. The third factor of 2 is usually the last to fall.
Here it is:
NB: I haven't written every step of working, to save time and effort.

no. of blocks forming one stack = 2n + 1.
total no. of blocks = (2n + 1)^3
Therefore blocks remaining = (2n + 1)(4n^2 + 4n) = f(n)

Basis: for n=1. No. blocks remaining = 3x8 = 24. Therefore divisible by 24.

Assume true for n=k. i.e. (2k + 1)(4k^2 +4k) is divisible by 24.

For n= k + 1.

f( k + 1) = 4(2k +3)(k^2 + 4k + 4)
f(k + 1) - f(k) = 24k^2 + 48k + 48
= 24(k^2 + 2k + 2)
Therefore, f(k + 1) = f(k) + 24(k^2 + 2k + 2)

Both terms of this expression are divisible by 24, therefore f(k + 1) is divisible by 24. It therefore stands by induction that f(n) is divisible by 24 for all integers n>=1.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien