Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Euthyphro dilemma asked for evolution.
Euthyphro dilemma asked for evolution.
I think people equate universal with objective. I have to disagree on that. Some people can have a wrong moral view while others can be right about their moral view. The fact that not everyone agrees on an issue, doesn't mean there is no right or wrong answer.

It also doesn't mean, that one cannot know he has a right answer.

It just seems to be the case, that right or wrong is not dependant on our judgement.

Some people believe evolution created objective morality.

You can ask:

"Did evolution produce what is moral because it is moral or did is it moral because evolution declare it so/produced it".

Don't get caught up "declare" and words, just try to get what I mean. In the former view, it shows morality is INDEPENDENT of evolution. In the latter view, it would be arbitrary, because a different course of evolution, we could've had different morals. Different species do different things.

In the same way we can ask

Is it that we judge something is moral because it's moral or is it moral because we judged it to be so.

These show that either morality is independent of our judgement or is arbitrary.

Since it's independent of evolution, independent of our judgement, then exactly what is it?

More over is the question of why anyone should obey the "commanding" "SHOULD" in some moral issues, like "We should not kill people for fun", seems like it cannot be answered by consequence "Well we wouldn't survive if we do this". Why should an individual care if society would survive. If it all comes down to self interest, then what is the difference in intention of a Tyrant whom acts according to self interest?

The commanding should, doesn't seem like it can be authority of evolution.

Also, combination of chemicals being the commanding force to all this, just seems to be unauthorative.

Yet morality as we all perceive it as authority to the highest degree, there is no limit to the the authority it has.

So along with being independent of our judgements, independent of evolution, it seems to be metaphysical.

The Euthyphro dilemma when asked to God shows that not even God can decide morality, because it would be arbitrary. Nothing can decide morality, no process can produce without it existing independently from it, then what is it exactly?

You see, God can't decide what morality is either, it's rather has to be either whom he is, or part of whom he is.

When we see society, we tend also see that it grows in moral views, it advances. We also see this about greatness.

But with our knowledge of morality, is there any limit to the goodness and greatness that is possible for a possible being to reach.

Logically, there is infinite potential. But all this potential must have had eternal basis, as we have shown, it cannot be produced by a process (evolution for example)..so it is shown all these infinite levels of goodness and moral highness, if objective morality exists, is independant of our judgment.

It seems rather something must be the basis to all potential levels.

Now aside from this, it seems that we have to have some sort of link to this basis, and when we are correct, it's due to our link to this basis.

A person may deny then morality is real. It's rather but a delusion.

But what it seems to me, is that it's obvious by this knowledge of morality, that we know it's real, because if it was not real, we would not have this knowledge of it.
RE: Euthyphro dilemma asked for evolution.
(June 9, 2012 at 3:47 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: I think people equate universal with objective.

If they do, in my view, they're wrong to do so.

Universal = without exception.

Objective = not dependent on opinion.

In terms of morality, it's my view that neither universal nor objective morality exists. I don't assert that as truth, however, I recognize that it is my own opinion.
(June 9, 2012 at 3:51 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(June 9, 2012 at 3:47 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: I think people equate universal with objective.

If they do, in my view, they're wrong to do so.

Universal = without exception.

Objective = not dependent on opinion.

In terms of morality, it's my view that neither universal nor objective morality exists. I don't assert that as truth, however, I recognize that it is my own opinion.

I think objective (not universal) morality does exist, but that we'll never to know what the objective answer is to most moral questions for sure. Some are fairly obvious: as a general rule in today's circumstances, it is immoral to rape someone.
(June 9, 2012 at 5:44 pm)libalchris Wrote: I think objective (not universal) morality does exist, but that we'll never to know what the objective answer is to most moral questions for sure. Some are fairly obvious: as a general rule in today's circumstances, it is immoral to rape someone.

I agree with you that crimes such as rape are morally wrong, and are nearly universally viewed as such.

However, in analyzing exactly what constitutes an act of rape, and the origin of the moral principles that proscribe the act, subjectivity very much comes into play. Different cultures and political entities have very different views regarding the age of consent, spousal consent, etc.

When the concept is extended outside the realm of human morality it becomes even more so. Mating practices in the animal kingdom do not necessarily conform to human notions of consent - can human standards of morality be applied there? I think not. Would it not be a case of special pleading to suppose that human standards of morality are objective?

In my view, it is of little importance as to whether morality is objective or subjective. What matters is whether it is just.
(June 9, 2012 at 3:47 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: I think people equate universal with objective. I have to disagree on that. Some people can have a wrong moral view while others can be right about their moral view.

Not unless you can substantiate that. Therein lies the rub.
Quote:The fact that not everyone agrees on an issue, doesn't mean there is no right or wrong answer.

True, but that doesn't mean that the "right answer" has ever been presented, by anyone. For all you know every answer ever given has been incorrect, see the above.

Quote:It also doesn't mean, that one cannot know he has a right answer.

It just seems to be the case, that right or wrong is not dependant on our judgement.

Some people believe evolution created objective morality.

"Some people" are woefully ignorant.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Rhyme, do you agree it's wrong to torture a child out of intention of fun?

I can say, I objectively say it's wrong to torture a child out of intention of fun. It's not just my opinion, it is wrong, and I am right to believe so, and not only right to believe so, but know so.
I agree that between the two of us it is most likely wrong and that I wouldnt personally do it. Doesn't make it objectively or universally wrong, just wrong in so far as the set of "people who agree with me" are concerned.

It is just your opinion. In this case it is an opinion that is shared by many, but that doesnt elevate it to truth. You'll need quite a bit more. You "know" that it is your opinion that it is wrong.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 9, 2012 at 6:48 pm)Rhythm Wrote: I agree that between the two of us it is most likely wrong and that I wouldnt personally do it. Doesn't make it objectively or universally wrong, just wrong in so far as the set of "people who agree with me" are concerned.

It is just your opinion. In this case it is an opinion that is shared by many, but that doesnt elevate it to truth. You'll need quite a bit more. You "know" that it is your opinion that it is wrong.

Why is it likely to be wrong? What does it even mean it's likely to be wrong, it seems like you are acknowledging that there is like to be an objective wrong (objective morality).

If it's likely to be wrong, why is it that we can't know it is wrong definitely?
(June 9, 2012 at 6:44 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Rhyme, do you agree it's wrong to torture a child out of intention of fun?

I can say, I objectively say it's wrong to torture a child out of intention of fun. It's not just my opinion, it is wrong, and I am right to believe so, and not only right to believe so, but know so.

Let me see if I can illustrate a problem with this argument for you.

In order to "know" something, you must believe it, it must be true, and your belief must be justified. The justifier for your belief must in turn be justified, and so on. Eventually, when you follow the chain of justification, you're going to reach a justifier that you cannot justify, but appears to you to be self-evident (e.g. an axiom).

This is all well and good when self-justifying your beliefs. The problem arises when you attempt to convince others that your belief is justified. Unless they happen to agree that your axioms are self-evident and need no justification, you will be unable to do so.
(June 9, 2012 at 7:04 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Unless they happen to agree that your axioms are self-evident and need no justification, you will be unable to do so.

This is one of those I was really hoping would be the case.

But I think I can argue the "likely to be wrong" position, assumes objective morality as well.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Euthyphro dilemma ignoramus 198 19193 October 28, 2017 at 9:12 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  What will you do? (Ethical dilemma question) ErGingerbreadMandude 91 10043 October 22, 2017 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Moral Dilemma EgoRaptor 98 20272 February 20, 2014 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: FlyingNarwhal
  A few thoughts on the Euthyphro dilemma shinydarkrai94 24 12668 May 3, 2012 at 8:08 am
Last Post: Reforged