Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deism for non-believers
Deism for non-believers
I was thinking about the definition of atheist the other day. So we all should know by now that an atheist simply lacks the belief in a god and doesn't claim that said god doesn't exist. What is the only way of almost definitely saying a god can't exist though? If we define it entirely so that there are properties that can actually be 'tested' against what we know.

Imagine a hypothetical 'god scale' where at one extreme we have the most tangible definition of a god. This god undeniably exists because it's infact a creature that lives among us and will forever reign the earth meaning that all generations have witnessed it to date. At the other end of the scale we have a god that basically can't be detected and is merely responsible for creating everything. We can confidently say that the most tangible god doesn't exist. But the question is now, how far along the scale can we move saying that they don't exist until we get to a definition of a god that is plausible? It seems to me that Deism has to be the belief of a non-religious person because the amount of definable gods on the scale are endless. One is bound to stop somewhere along it and not be able to justify why that god couldn't exist.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
RE: Deism for non-believers
Can you give an example of a plausible god?
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(June 9, 2012 at 9:58 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: Can you give an example of a plausible god?

Well everyone's threshold would be different, but I guess for me it might be a god that doesn't get involved in the physical world and therefore it hasn't showed up.

I haven't really given much thought on the implications of such a god. This thread was just about exploring how far we can say within reason that a god doesn't exist.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
Hawkins has said a god is not required. An

Which to you makes more sense?

Allah is a real god?

Or, humans made him up and marketed him?

Vishnu is a real god?

Or, humans made him up and marketed it?

The god of Jesus is a real god?

Or, humans made him up?

The Egyptian sun god is real?

Or humans made him up?

Claiming a generic entity with no name or organized religion still is claiming a thinking entity with no material in as a cause. It is still as much of a gap answer as those above.

The bottom line is that nature and the universe do not need a god, nor are they a god themselves. The universe is merely a thing, like an on going weather pattern that constantly changes moves.

The problem with both theism and deism is that it assumes all this was invented, not manifested.

Three books you should read.

1. The God Delusion, By Richard Dawkins. He explains our desire, wishful thinking, as basically the moth mistaking the light bulb for the moonlight.

2. The New Atheism, By Victor Stinger, also goes into why god is not needed and is a mere sugar pill.

3. Why people believe weird things, By Michael Shermer(one I need to get myself)
Brian37 Wrote:Hawkins has said a god is not required. An

Which to you makes more sense?

Allah is a real god?

Or, humans made him up and marketed him?

Vishnu is a real god?

Or, humans made him up and marketed it?

The god of Jesus is a real god?

Or, humans made him up?

The Egyptian sun god is real?

Or humans made him up?

Claiming a generic entity with no name or organized religion still is claiming a thinking entity with no material in as a cause. It is still as much of a gap answer as those above.

Yeah I guess my description is still very broad. It's considerably more plausible than the gods you have mentioned though, right? We could still keep adding attributes that can be tested to see if they violate reason itself.

Quote:The bottom line is that nature and the universe do not need a god, nor are they a god themselves. The universe is merely a thing, like an on going weather pattern that constantly changes moves.

The limitation that science has on explaining things is that it can't give a reason for a process happening. Say I kicked a football in the air. We could do all sorts of measurements on it and also my muscles. Can science explain why I decided to kick it?
The whole god is needed argument seems to henge on whether god exists or not. If he does exist, he is likely needed. If he does not exist then he is not needed.
This is stupid
(June 9, 2012 at 10:25 pm)Adjusted Sanity Wrote: The whole god is needed argument seems to henge on whether god exists or not. If he does exist, he is likely needed. If he does not exist then he is not needed.

What do you mean by 'needed'?
(June 9, 2012 at 10:28 pm)FallentoReason Wrote:
(June 9, 2012 at 10:25 pm)Adjusted Sanity Wrote: The whole god is needed argument seems to henge on whether god exists or not. If he does exist, he is likely needed. If he does not exist then he is not needed.

What do you mean by 'needed'?

How would I know? If it exists probably preforms some function. If not, it preforms no function.

What function would an entity have to preform to be called god? I'm sure that question has more than one answer.
This is stupid
Quote:Yeah I guess my description is still very broad. It's considerably more plausible than the gods you have mentioned though, right? We could still keep adding attributes that can be tested to see if they violate reason itself.

Mental masturbation is not reason. Reason is the ability to kick your ideas with real tools like scientific method. And the history of scientific method is leaving no room for a deity of any kind.

All I hear you doing here is say "Let me make something up, and see if it works".

You don't simply make something up. You go with prior established data and then work with that with standard established tools to test and falsify it. There has never been any credible data for a god, not even a generic one.
(June 9, 2012 at 10:32 pm)Adjusted Sanity Wrote:
(June 9, 2012 at 10:28 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: What do you mean by 'needed'?

How would I know? If it exists probably preforms some function. If not, it preforms no function.

What function would an entity have to preform to be called god? I'm sure that question has more than one answer.

I think your question falls under the attributes for it. It could be said that the tangible god in the OP has a sort of function. Personally, I think as you move down the scale the need for a function has to be dropped.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can you be a "Non religious muslim"? Woah0 31 1776 August 22, 2022 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Persistent Non-Symbolic Experiences Ahriman 0 539 August 18, 2021 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Questions about the European renaissance and religion to non believers Quill01 6 668 January 31, 2021 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  God as a non-creator Fake Messiah 13 1669 January 21, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Being can come from non-being Alex K 55 7223 January 15, 2020 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Being cannot come from Non-being Otangelo 147 13483 January 7, 2020 at 7:08 am
Information How to discuss religion with believers? Scientia 161 15483 February 20, 2019 at 1:54 pm
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 3750 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  This Will Cause Believers To Lose Their Shit Minimalist 36 8532 March 30, 2018 at 11:14 am
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Why are believers still afraid of death? Der/die AtheistIn 49 4577 March 8, 2018 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: WinterHold