Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
“Inuma ilu awilu,” When gods [were] men.
“Inuma ilu awilu,” When gods [were] men.
Gods were reported to having been born in caves, to have taken their meals along with humans, to have made love to human women, to have behaved in the worst possible way (by introducing slavery, racism and ethnic/racial cleansing) and to have died and been buried.

However, at about 20,000 BCE, the rumor went around that the gods ascended to the heavens and since then they are considered by everybody (with the exception of Euhemerus) either as some sort of immaterial beings or products of the imagination.
Unfortunately, scholars and translators who are aware of the ancient texts describing the gods as common human beings, suffer from the same preconceptions as the uninformed layman; thus, when they encounter the ancient scribe reporting in plain language that gods were initially men, they do their best to persuade themselves that the scribe did not write what they are reading.

Following is an excerpt from a book by Esther J. Hamori, entitled “When Gods were Men” (pg 138).

The Akkadian myth of Atrahasis opens with the words “When gods were men” (Inuma ilu awilum). This phrase has been analyzed and translated in numerous ways, but the essential meaning is clear from the context. The text goes on to describe how the lower gods (the Igigi) were initially required to do the labour necessary on earth, and then rebelled against the higher gods (the Anunnaki), eventually instigating the creation of humanity as a work force.
In other words the term “man” in the opening phrase defines a role, a function in the universe, rather than a separate species; when gods served that function, they too “were men.” For this reason the term “awilum,” literally “man”(sg), is perhaps best rendered in English as “men” (pl).
Lambert and Millard translate “When the gods like men” or “When the gods like man” understanding awilum as ending with the locative –um with the same meaning as the comparative –is. They note that this would be the first example of the comparative –um. This grammatical analysis of the phrase renders the same meaning as discussed above, only through a simile, rather than a metaphor.
As Foster observes, “The line is a metaphor… meaning “When gods were (like) men (in that they had to work).”
Later in the myth, the terms are used in their more common sense, as when Ea prepares to create humanity and says “Let man bear the load of the gods.”

Common sense demands to translate Inuma ilu awilum as “When gods were human”; justifying thus the word awilum being in the singular.

To claim that the expression is a metaphor because… gods were like men in that they had to work, the work they were doing should have been a god’s work:

(5) The seven(?) great Anunna-gods were burdening
The Igigi-gods with forced labor.
[The gods] were digging watercourses,
[Canals they opened, the] life of the land.
[The Igigi-gods] were digging watercourses,
[Canals they opened, the] life of the land.
(25) [The Igigi-gods dug the Ti]gris river,
[And the Euphrates thereafter.
[Springs they opened up from] the depths,
[Wells ... ] they established.
[They heaped up] all the mountains.

So it seems, that it was gods’ work they were doing, but the fact that the men who took over did the same work with the same tools indicates that the heaping up of the mountains is just a poetic exaggeration.
When the Igigi gods rebelled they destroyed their tools:

They set fire to their tools,
(65) They put fire to their spaces(spades),
And flame to their workbaskets.2

Gloss No. 2 reads: In effect, the first work stoppage in world history, or at least in world literature.

A story about gods is world history but yet he (Foster) refuses to acknowledge that gods were actually men.

(a) Ea made ready to speak,
And said to the gods [his brothers]:
"What calumny do we lay to their charge?
Their forced labor was heavy, [their misery too much]!
(e) Every day [ ]
The outcry [was loud, we could hear the clamor].
There is [ ]
"[Belet-ili, the midwife], is present,
(190) Let the midwife create a human being,
Let man assume the drudgery of god."
They summoned and asked the goddess,
The midwife of the gods, wise Mami:
"Will you be the birth goddess, creatress of mankind?
(195) Create a human being that he bear the yoke,
Let him bear the yoke, the task of Enlil,
Let man assume the drudgery of god."
(COS, pg I:450-1)

Man can and did the work of god and, of course, the above also serves as evidence that the gods created mankind to be their slaves (who eventually rebelled as the Igigi did... but that is another story).

The usual renderings of “inuma ilu awilu", apart from the literal one: When gods [were] men are:
When the gods instead of man,
When the gods, like man,
When gods instead of humans

It is to be noted that the phrase in question was used as the title of the epic in antiquity and it occurs as a colophon at the end of each tablet. It is also found in Akkadian catalogues and it is thus a well known phrase.

Scholars dare not ask “What if the scribe was correct and gods were actually men?” because they will end up with a story that will completely ridicule the idea of God, and that they cannot bring themselves to do.

P.S. This thread will be posted in other forums too as there are uneducated atheists elsewhere as well.
I hope dear moderators and administrators do not mind. Big Grin
"Culture is memory"

Yuri Lotman

RE: “Inuma ilu awilu,” When gods [were] men.
"Some gods", subtle but important distinction, the mistake coming right at the very beginning, same criticism as always, completely absent from your "opus" as usual. You obviously do spend a considerable amount of time on this, why you are so reluctant to establish yourself in the arena of peer review and rigorous scholarship is beyond me. Are your own pet theories so important to you that you would prefer to keep them intact rather than perform due diligence with regards to a subject which you have a clear and focused interest in? If you could contain yourself to the cultures which you have a preference for in your conclusions this would actually be decent stuff (if you could demonstrate the validity of your conclusions by means external to your interpretations of any given text it would be cultural anthropology instead of a creative writing exercise).
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 10, 2012 at 11:39 am)Rhythm Wrote: "Some gods", subtle but important distinction, the mistake coming right at the very beginning, same criticism as always, completely absent from your "opus" as usual.
I posted 18:38, you replied 18:39 without reading!
Were you waiting for my new thread with such an ardent expectation?

I’ll add kisses to you next time.Tongue
"Culture is memory"

Yuri Lotman

That's why it's so dissappointing, I didn't have to read any further than the first sentence to recognize the same over-reaching tendency you've expressed in every other post like this one. Again, confine yourself and you might accidentally happen upon a valid conclusion.....

(Do you actually stop to consider this simple request or just plow over it? I mean, we have the same discussion every time...)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Weren't the emperors of Rome also made gods.
Powerful men in ancient times did this sort of Shit regularly.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(June 10, 2012 at 11:55 am)Rhythm Wrote: That's why it's so dissappointing, I didn't have to read any further than the first sentence to recognize the same over-reaching tendency you've expressed in every other post like this one. Again, confine yourself and you might accidentally happen upon a valid conclusion.....

(Do you actually stop to consider this simple request or just plow over it? I mean, we have the same discussion every time...)

And I my self am wondering why you bother!
You know gods were products of the imagination and you are not willing to investigate the possibility they were not. I am convinced they were men and you have brought no evidence on the contrary that I could consider. I suggest we leave it at that unless you tell me why is it that my theory bothers you so much.
(June 10, 2012 at 11:55 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: Weren't the emperors of Rome also made gods.
Powerful men in ancient times did this sort of Shit regularly.

Because they knew they had a right to claim descend from the race or tribe of the gods.
The gods are some imaginary beings for us but they were not such for the Roman Emperors and, of course, they were not such for the transcriber or redactor of the Atrahasis epic.

We are not wiser than they were, we are only more prejudiced.
"Culture is memory"

Yuri Lotman

In the case of gods being embellished stories about men, for example, they would still be the product of imagination. I'm not so single minded in my appraisal of where god narratives come from. The single minded criticism would more aptly describe your constant insistence that gods et all originate from your favorite narratives (and favorite interpretations of those narratives) which is precisely what I keep attempting to remind you of every single time you post......sigh. Snake gods, for example.....are difficult to paint as being based on men, aren't they? Yet we do have giant snakes for gods. If you were to say that "gods which can be shown to have their origins in this narrative were based on embellished or artistic stories of men that existed (and you could demonstrate that such men existed or that it was even likely that they did) you might have a valid conclusion. You constant insistence that the very idea of a god springs from these narratives without demonstrating that they do (in addition to failing to demonstrate that these narratives are factual or even remotely possible) is why your posts are consistently bad on precisely the same lines, without fail, every time, from the very beginning of the post....
Why would one pay any more attention to the primitive scribblings of the Akkadians than the Aztecs, Jews, Norse, Egyptians or Hopi?
(June 10, 2012 at 1:26 pm)Rhythm Wrote: In the case of gods being embellished stories about men, for example, they would still be the product of imagination.
You were born and raised in an environment where the unnatural and completely ludicrous idea of the existence of a creator God is revered and part of every day life. You are, therefore, unable to imagine a human community where the idea of such a God does not exist because in such a community deification is not possible.
So, present a plausible theory on how the idea of immaterial gods came to be and then we can start a serious conversation.
I do have such a theory. You may not like it, but it is based on research and evidence
(June 10, 2012 at 1:26 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Snake gods, for example.....are difficult to paint as being based on men, aren't they?
For snake gods stories to be taken seriously you have to present similar snake gods stories from various cultures; otherwise we are dealing with local legends not worthy of investigation. The story of the gods I am referring to is an international one.

Comparative mythology; that’s the name of the game!
(June 10, 2012 at 2:33 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Why would one pay any more attention to the primitive scribblings of the Akkadians than the Aztecs, Jews, Norse, Egyptians or Hopi?
The Aztecs on seeing the Spaniards they believed they were gods because from their oral traditions they knew that the gods belonged to white race (the Sumerians believed the same because they were calling themselves –the humans- blackheads). As for the Jews, the sons of the gods/God went to human women and made love to them. What were these lovers? Spirits or flowers? The main God of the Jews, Yahweh, is only one of these sons of gods.
In the Norse mythology there are no men because the gods play the role of the men.
In the Egyptian script the word “god” is followed by the ideogram of a man. The same ideogram is used for the word “man” with the difference that the one for the god has long hair and long beard. Moreover, the Egyptians give the dates and duration of the various kingdoms with the first kings being gods.

The Hopi creation myth is dominated by the female creative principle, Hard Beings Woman, or sometimes spider Woman. The Akkadians who said that gods were men and that these gods who were men created humans, they also say that humans were created by women (impregnated by the gods, of course) not by some male god as per the theologians.
"Culture is memory"

Yuri Lotman

http://maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/publicat...m=1&id=330

Quote:One of the more controversial aspects of the Quetzalcoatl myth is his promise to return, which O'Brien mentions quite frequently. Some scholars contend that many of the accounts referring to this particular legend have a Spanish influence. A prime example of this scenario is in Letters from Mexico,6 where the Aztec king Motecuzoma (incorrectly spelled by O'Brien as Mutezuma in Fair Gods) supposedly speaks to the Spaniards, relating a tale of his people's ancestral relationship with them. He asserts that the natives are descended from "foreigners who came from a very distant land" and that "a chieftain . . . brought our people to this region." According to this report, the foreign chieftain went back to his native country but then returned to Motecuzoma's ancestors, by whom he was rejected; he departed again but promised to return. O'Brien accepts this story as an accurate historical account (see p. 26), but did Motecuzoma really believe the Spaniards were his long-lost relatives? This may very well be a tainted history promulgated to ensure a Spanish stronghold in the New World. By manipulating what may be, in part, a factual report, the Spaniards may have made the developing conquest look as though Motecuzoma was welcoming his lord home after a long separation.7

The Spanish contamination idea seems more viable than any inherent wisdom in the supernatural drivel of primitives.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about polytheistic gods Won2blv 2 720 November 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Hinduism - Millions of Gods Forsaken 56 24355 September 19, 2016 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Norse Gods are the Real Deal The Valkyrie 37 11125 July 15, 2015 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  And you thought the Mayans were nutty! Rev. Rye 2 1524 November 21, 2013 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Kayenneh
  Child Sacrificed; Liver offered to Gods (India) Handprint 10 4917 June 25, 2012 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Justtristo