Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 3, 2024, 1:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on the "eternal consciousness" / "everything is energy" theories...
Thoughts on the "eternal consciousness" / "everything is energy" theories...
Erm... yeah, what is your take on these? I mainly heard of this idea through Bill Hicks:

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather." Smile

and David Icke:

Sorry if this has come up before as well lol

I did do a quick search! Smile

Cheers dudes,

Mike

EDIT -- This may be of interest as well Smile

"Minds are like parachutes - they both work best when open."

My favourite pro-atheism video - [amoff]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQJrud71gL8[/amoff]
My favourite pro-theism video - [amoff]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqhGRD25h2A[/amoff]
RE: Thoughts on the "eternal consciousness" / "everything is energy" theories...
David "Reptilian overlords have you in thrall" Icke? I've always wondered what the face of insanity might look like, thank you.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
RE: Thoughts on the "eternal consciousness" / "everything is energy" theories...
Mike,
You stated in a different thread something along the lines of not believing in god/gods because there is no evidence. You should apply the same criteria to any claim regarding eternal concsciousness. New age hacks that peddle this tripe never provide evidence for their claims; never. They also try to camouflage their chicanery with the use of scientific sounding words: electromagnetic, microwaves, frequency ranges, etc.

You also stated elsewhere that you like to keep an open mind.
“It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.”
― Carl Sagan

I am treating this thread as a sincere inquiry and offer Sagan's quote to you as personal ammunition to help maintain your skepticism while investigating various truth claims.
(June 11, 2012 at 11:01 am)Rhythm Wrote: David "Reptilian overlords have you in thrall" Icke? I've always wondered what the face of insanity might look like, thank you.

He used to do our local news before he went batshit crazy.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Yeah, don't do drugs. It screws up your senses, which at the end of the day is our only way of experiencing, interpreting and perceiving reality. Confused
Thanks for the input guys Smile

However, do remember I'm not saying I believe it (in fact on the contrary, I was arguing against it this morning with my housemate), I just wanted to know your opinions on it!
"Minds are like parachutes - they both work best when open."

My favourite pro-atheism video - [amoff]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQJrud71gL8[/amoff]
My favourite pro-theism video - [amoff]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqhGRD25h2A[/amoff]
A lot of it seems like sophistry to be honest.
(June 11, 2012 at 4:30 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: A lot of it seems like sophistry to be honest.

"Sophistry" - is that some fancy-pants way of saying "bullshit"?

Because if it is, then yeah, it seems like sophistry.

Angel
It's an interesting idea. I'll say that much.
This is stupid

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Serious question about thoughts on theists Kingpin 118 6728 May 18, 2023 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Energy As The Essence of Sentience Authari 77 5972 January 13, 2023 at 11:07 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  If god can't lie, does that mean he can't do everything? Foxaèr 184 11431 September 10, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  How Can We Have Moral Direction If God Controls Everything? Rhondazvous 87 7766 August 22, 2021 at 10:23 am
Last Post: brewer
  Flat Earther, and other conspiracy theories. Are they mostly atheists? Ferrocyanide 95 6663 April 26, 2021 at 3:56 am
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2
Thumbs Up Taoism Says That Everything Has an Opposite Philos_Tone 37 4506 November 20, 2018 at 8:35 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Eternal bliss Cod 135 16188 September 6, 2018 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  Theistic thoughts Foxaèr 3 926 May 26, 2018 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  What are your thoughts on this GODZILLA 20 4472 April 2, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: GODZILLA
  Thoughts on Hell? SisterAgatha 251 53070 October 30, 2017 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: Mr.Obvious