Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why not more of us in Congress?
Why not more of us in Congress?
Rep. Pete Stark (D-Calif.) calls himself an Atheist no one else. is it because Atheists are the most hated and distrusted groups out there.
It makes sense I think there are more Atheists in Congress but won't admit it for obvious reasons.
I read if growth continues at the current rate, one in four Americans will profess no religious faith within 20 years. That' s incredible and great news

I guess Atheism is easy to catch.

Manowar
RE: Why not more of us in Congress?
An atheist got elected councilman of Asheville, NC. The opposition has tried to get his election overturned because of his atheism, but 14th Amendment prevails over state constitutions. I hear he (Cecil Bothwell) is running for congress.

http://bothwell2012.com/
A prounouncement of atheism would be electoral suicide in most districts if there is merit to the figures below. I agree that there are likely more atheists in congress (not many more, but more), but we'll likely never hear of them in the near future.

[Image: traits4.png]
Everyone has the right to run for public office, however they should have to declare what they believe about themselves, this is only right, the voting public should know who they are voting for, and religious or non religious is important to the American public. As it is the right that anyone can run for public office, it is the right of the people to know who they are voting for.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Seeming as a lot of Americans will automatically disqualify a candidate if they are not christian, I see no reason why a candidate for an election should have to reveal their religious status. It is ultimately irrelevant to their politics, and could even kick voters in the arse if they vote for the obvious worse candidate because they are not atheist.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
Good idea GC, maybe we can ask them to put their hands on a bible and swear that they believe in god, because you know..why would they lie? lol. You have no idea who the fuck you're voting for, only the product they are selling you. They, on the other hand, know all about you. Market research. The only people likely to have the sorts of resources available to enagage in similar research on any given candidate is their opposition, and guess what, the report they give to you is a product as well. You're sourcing info from a competing provider. Color me un-surprised if you don't like whats in the report coming out of your favorite boys mouth about his competition.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
What about in the military read below It's a good point

Atheists are clamoring for recognition in another area of public life — the military. The Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers estimates that 40,000 soldiers identify as nonbelievers, and counts the most famous casualty of the war in Afghanistan, former NFL star Pat Tillman, as one of its own. In attempting to secure the same rights and support enjoyed by religious soldiers, the association lobbies against the idea that "there are no atheists in foxholes," and wants "atheist chaplains" made available for the ranks of the armed nonbelievers. Jason Torpy, the association's president, says that nonbelievers outnumber every religious group in the military except Christians, yet receive no ethical and family counseling geared to their own nonbeliefs. "These are things that chaplains do for everybody," he said, "except us."

Manowar
Quote:Everyone has the right to run for public office, however they should have to declare what they believe about themselves,

For once in your miserable life you are right, G-C.

I want to know what stupid shit my elected representatives believe in. And dead jews coming back to life rates right on the top of my "Fuck You" list.
i think we have a closet agnostic president right now. when i hear people say "i'm a christian", some say it with a certain conviction an some say it like, "i'm a ... uh ... a christian". i think our current is the latter. perhaps i just want to think that.
they can land a rover on mars, yet they still have to stick a human finger up my ass to do a prostate exam?! - ricky gervais
I'd be willing to bet there are a LOT more atheists in US public life than are willing to admit it.

Here it's dogmatic theists who are the minority in politics. However, Tony Abbot, leader of the opposition is a rabid Catholic. He even takes advice from that slimy,pedophile-protecting archbishop George Pell, the Pope's Aussie Rottweiller.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is our universe more complex than a t-shirt or not? ReptilianPeon 17 3659 September 27, 2016 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Why Zeus is more real than the Christian God.... maestroanth 4 1801 May 5, 2016 at 7:08 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The more you attend Church, the more likely you are so support Torture. CapnAwesome 111 15769 December 23, 2014 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Religion 'Cause Of Evil Not Force For Good' More Young People Believe downbeatplumb 3 2353 June 25, 2013 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Why, why, why? Little Rik 39 11539 June 14, 2013 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  why i respect muslims more than christians zentor 14 7965 June 21, 2012 at 5:35 am
Last Post: jupitor
  Not taking any more BS. Edwardo Piet 21 8531 October 31, 2008 at 11:24 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet