Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do I come under the category of 'Atheist'?
Do I come under the category of 'Atheist'?
Hello,

I believe in Jainism. I wish to know that believing in Jainism makes me a theist or an atheist. I can rough idea of Jainism for those who don't know about it.
Jainism is basically like Buddhism, but a bit extreme as opposed to middle-path of buddhism.

Jainism believes there is no Creator/maintainer/destroyer of universe, and the universe acts under universal natural laws.

The basic fundamental beliefs of Jainism is that each living being has a soul. Depending on the actions performed by the soul, it acquires karma <subtle particles that masks the soul>. Depending on amount of Karma, It reborns as heavenly being, earthly being, or hellish being.
Heaven has less suffering, hell is filled with great suffering. Our world lies in the middle.
On our world, the soul may be born as human, animal or plant, again depending upon its karma.

If a soul shreds all its karmas, it becomes free from the cycle of life and death. Such a soul possesses Infinite knowledge, infinite bliss and infinite perception. We call such a soul as God. Such a soul has destroyed all its desires and hence cannot interfere in working of the universe. It is merely a silent observer.

There are infinite souls who have become this God and infinite more who are yet to become, but the state of Godliness is one.
Worship only serves as a gesture of respect towards them and reminds followers the ultimate goal of liberation.

So, whether we believe in God or do not believe in God, depends upon the definition of God.

Would I be considered as a theist or an atheist?
RE: Do I come under the category of 'Atheist'?
Tricky. Personally I'd plump for atheist with supernatural beliefs but to be honest, I wouldn't worry what to label yourself.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
You would be considered a superstitious woo-monger. Sort of like a mahayana buddhist, or an adherent of the tibetan religions.
Sounds like there's room for a Jain to be either. If you believe in a superior supernatural being that fits the description of god with a small g...theist. Otherwise, atheists. I think Jainism is arguably an atheistic religion, but it leaves room for godlike supernatural beings that complicate the issue.
Quote:The basic fundamental beliefs of Jainism is that each living being has a soul

Your concept of souls suffers from the same lack of empirical evidence as the theists have with their various gods.

Still, my understanding of Jainism is that it is a peaceful sect which doesn't run around slitting throats of unbelievers so you are okay in my book regardless of what definition you ultimately decide to adopt.
(June 14, 2012 at 11:49 am)jain.rahul Wrote: Hello,

I believe in Jainism.
Hiya,

I'm curious, do you get a lot of stigma from using the swastika?

Quote:I wish to know that believing in Jainism makes me a theist or an atheist.
Jainism is nothing like Buddhism. You believe that souls purged of "karmas" become gods through the attainment of enlightenment. You're a polytheist.
Quote:I wish to know that believing in Jainism makes me a theist or an atheist.

Jainism is nothing like Buddhism. You believe that souls purged of "karmas" become gods through the attainment of enlightenment. You're a polytheist.

I agree, if you believe in any sort of god you are not an atheist.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Well, since it's your belief, I think you can make it anything you want. If you want to be a Jain without metaphysical beliefs, do so. From what little I know about Jainism, the primary focus is on not doing harm, detaching from the gunas or whatever through meditation, and comapassion for all life forms. I'm sure the scaffolding of metaphysical belief in souls and gods may historically be a part of being a traditional Jain, but if you don't see that as necessary to you, why bother, unless you think that only following the beliefs of whichever set of Jains you've attached yourself to will lead to something you desire, in which case, you believe whatever it is you feel you need to believe to get the toy surprise.

Either way, I don't think the label matters. My best friend is a traditional Christian, and it doesn't matter to her. Ninety-five percent of the time I hang out with atheists, and they don't care what I believe either. I guess I'm wondering why the question matters to you?

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

I believe in Jainism. I wish to know that believing in Jainism makes me a theist or an atheist. I can rough idea of Jainism for those who don't know about it.
Jainism is basically like Buddhism, but a bit extreme as opposed to middle-path of buddhism.

Jainism believes there is no Creator/maintainer/destroyer of universe, and the universe acts under universal natural laws.

The basic fundamental beliefs of Jainism is that each living being has a soul. Depending on the actions performed by the soul, it acquires karma <subtle particles that masks the soul>. Depending on amount of Karma, It reborns as heavenly being, earthly being, or hellish being.
Heaven has less suffering, hell is filled with great suffering. Our world lies in the middle.
On our world, the soul may be born as human, animal or plant, again depending upon its karma.

If a soul shreds all its karmas, it becomes free from the cycle of life and death. Such a soul possesses Infinite knowledge, infinite bliss and infinite perception. We call such a soul as God. Such a soul has destroyed all its desires and hence cannot interfere in working of the universe. It is merely a silent observer.

There are infinite souls who have become this God and infinite more who are yet to become, but the state of Godliness is one.
Worship only serves as a gesture of respect towards them and reminds followers the ultimate goal of liberation.

So, whether we believe in God or do not believe in God, depends upon the definition of God.

You are a theist. An atheist rejects all god claims on the grounds that there has never been evidence to support any god claim.

Your brand of theism may reject the judeo-christian concept of god, but you still went on to define a god. Atheists reject your god too simply because you cannot provide evidence that your god exists. Most atheist will immediately dismiss your idea of soul due to the same lack of evidence.
This sounds like a religious belief to me.