Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is one of the reasons people believe in God is a need for a father figure?
Is one of the reasons people believe in God is a need for a father figure?
I just wonder this sometimes. I know a lot of girls who are very keen on monotheistic religion (Christianity or Islam), and sometimes I wonder if subconsciously they just want a kind of protective father figure, a monotheistic religion provides that.

A lot of the guys I know (even the ones who have connections to the religious girls) are not religious. I just expect it more from girls than from guys - guys tend to be more about hands-on technical things and I think girls tend to be more into spiritualism.

But this isn't just about any single gender.

I just wonder if one of the reasons people gravitate towards monotheistic belief is that need for a strong father figure in their lives, and God provides this?

Now, this is not me saying that God is necessarily NOT true, but I'm just saying I think this may be one reason why some people feel inclined to adopt a belief like this.

Opinions?

Mike Smile
"Minds are like parachutes - they both work best when open."

My favourite pro-atheism video - [amoff]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQJrud71gL8[/amoff]
My favourite pro-theism video - [amoff]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqhGRD25h2A[/amoff]
RE: Is one of the reasons people believe in God is a need for a father figure?
I think they just want to cheat death.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
(June 14, 2012 at 5:47 pm)Annik Wrote: I think they just want to cheat death.

haha yes I think that is part of it too, certainly.

My favourite pro-atheism video - [amoff]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQJrud71gL8[/amoff]
My favourite pro-theism video - [amoff]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqhGRD25h2A[/amoff]
As a female atheist who used to be religious, I already had a father. I certainly didn't need 2. I just wishes that there was someone looking out for me or whatever. Your hypothesis kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth (please don't this the wrong way).
(June 14, 2012 at 5:53 pm)Annik Wrote: As a female atheist who used to be religious, I already had a father. I certainly didn't need 2. I just wishes that there was someone looking out for me or whatever. Your hypothesis kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth (please don't this the wrong way).

I know, I honestly didn't want to be sexist (I am really not a sexist person). And I also didn't aim this at one gender as such, even though I did mention women.

Perhaps "father figure" is unnecessary wording. "Parent" would probably do to be honest. Like a protecting figure that means you're never alone, never have to be scared, etc.

Maybe that's a better way of putting it Smile

As a religious male, I have to say no for sure.
I had two very supportive parents, so did my wife.
So did pretty much everyone (religious) I'm close to, come to think of it.

From my view, there are no statistics to back up your thoughts. It's simply being thrown out there seemingly at random, actually?
[Image: Semiotic-1.png]
Pollitics | Religion | Headline News | General Chat
Humans are primates. Primates live in tribes. What do all primate tribes have in some form or another? A hierarchical social structure with an angry alpha male at the top.

Surely the church with its plethora of bishops, cardinals, priests and then angels, other heavenly entities and ultimately God, the Son and the Holy Spirit is the ultimate extension of this evolutionary trait.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(June 14, 2012 at 6:01 pm)hoppimike Wrote:
(June 14, 2012 at 5:53 pm)Annik Wrote: As a female atheist who used to be religious, I already had a father. I certainly didn't need 2. I just wishes that there was someone looking out for me or whatever. Your hypothesis kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth (please don't this the wrong way).

I know, I honestly didn't want to be sexist (I am really not a sexist person). And I also didn't aim this at one gender as such, even though I did mention women.

Perhaps "father figure" is unnecessary wording. "Parent" would probably do to be honest. Like a protecting figure that means you're never alone, never have to be scared, etc.

Indeed. I'd use protector or parental figure over that wording, if your intention was to keep things neutral. Glad this was hammered out. :3

From that point of view, I'm inclined to agree. I think people want to feel like someone has their back. If a god has a plan for them, then certainly the suffering is worth it, ect (even though hanging a lake of fire over their heads would be pretty abusive). They want to believe that bad things happen for a reason. It's all about remaining comfortable.
(June 14, 2012 at 6:08 pm)Annik Wrote:
(June 14, 2012 at 6:01 pm)hoppimike Wrote: I know, I honestly didn't want to be sexist (I am really not a sexist person). And I also didn't aim this at one gender as such, even though I did mention women.

Indeed. I'd use protector or parental figure over that wording, if your intention was to keep things neutral. Glad this was hammered out. :3

From that point of view, I'm inclined to agree. I think people want to feel like someone has their back. If a god has a plan for them, then certainly the suffering is worth it, ect (even though hanging a lake of fire over their heads would be pretty abusive). They want to believe that bad things happen for a reason. It's all about remaining comfortable.

Yah, agreed! Apologies again about the wording, but at least my point is understood!

Now this isn't a reason why religion is necessarily incorrect and I never meant to imply that it's true for everyone. I just think it may be true for SOME people o.O

I disagree with the OP's premise, but it is a fact that women are more religous then men, why they are, is up for debate but, it is a fact, the world over.

Quote:Nearly three-fourths of women (72%) believe that religion can answer all or most of today's problems, compared with 59% of men. The difference between men and women on this issue has been relatively consistent for 45 years.

"How important would you say religion is in your own life," 68% of women responded "very important," while only 48% of men did so.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/7336/Religion...vided.aspx

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One God versus many T.J. 42 2970 December 6, 2021 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  The absurd need for logical proofs for God R00tKiT 225 14252 December 31, 2020 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1410 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Does afterlife need God? Fake Messiah 7 1379 February 4, 2020 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why you all need others, to believe? LastPoet 24 3828 December 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why does there need to be a God? Brian37 41 7017 July 20, 2019 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  For those who believe the god of abraham was behind the big bang or evolution android17ak47 49 7924 November 1, 2018 at 10:52 am
  What would you say to a god if you met one? The Valkyrie 37 4049 June 1, 2018 at 7:05 am
Last Post: brewer
  The One True God thread Angrboda 11 2689 March 14, 2018 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  List of reasons to believe God exists? henryp 428 84523 January 21, 2018 at 2:56 am