Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volume of Extra Water From the Flood
Volume of Extra Water From the Flood
I think we all see this mental image as a heck of a lot of water. So I decided to crunch some numbers to get a better idea of how much water we're talking. I worked out the volume that it would have occupied (I assumed from water level to let's say the top of Mt. Everest) and then divided that by the volume of water at sea level (assuming that all of it is below sea level) to get a percentage.

V(Flood water) = 7.06 x 10^5 km^3
V(Ocean water) = 1.338 x 10^9 km^3

The percentage of Flood water from pre-existing water comes to 0.05%

I was pretty surprised by that. It's almost like letting a drop fall into a glass full of water. It would go unnoticed. But of course we're talking a volume occupying a rather crucial space, which is the space where we all live in. If the Flood water was still around we would be underwater at a depth of 8.8km so of course there's still the question of where all that water went. Needless to say, it most likely didn't happen but was rather an over-exaggeration of local natural disasters.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
RE: Volume of Extra Water From the Flood
The water went back into the imagination of the clown who dreamed it up in the first place.
(June 19, 2012 at 12:37 am)Minimalist Wrote: The water went back into the imagination of the clown who dreamed it up in the first place.

That's a big imagination to be able to store all that water!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
Well, there's plenty of empty space in the heads of everyone who thinks it literally happened.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
God took all the water back

....... yeah it was that easy, pointing out faults in the bible is pointless, they'll either say it was "magic" or that the bible really meant something different
Never stops me from pointing them out. They hate it when that big fucking book gets shoved up their asses. It has corners.
(June 19, 2012 at 12:12 am)FallentoReason Wrote: I think we all see this mental image as a heck of a lot of water. So I decided to crunch some numbers to get a better idea of how much water we're talking. I worked out the volume that it would have occupied (I assumed from water level to let's say the top of Mt. Everest) and then divided that by the volume of water at sea level (assuming that all of it is below sea level) to get a percentage.

V(Flood water) = 7.06 x 10^5 km^3
V(Ocean water) = 1.338 x 10^9 km^3

The percentage of Flood water from pre-existing water comes to 0.05%

I was pretty surprised by that. It's almost like letting a drop fall into a glass full of water. It would go unnoticed. But of course we're talking a volume occupying a rather crucial space, which is the space where we all live in. If the Flood water was still around we would be underwater at a depth of 8.8km so of course there's still the question of where all that water went. Needless to say, it most likely didn't happen but was rather an over-exaggeration of local natural disasters.

Crunch the numbers again. The average depth of ocean basins is only 2 miles, and ocean basin covers only 70% of the globe.

To reach top of mount everest, there would need to be an additional 5 miles of water covering 100% of the global.

In other words, the so called Noah's flood would need approximate 4 times more water than currently existent on the surface of the earth, which would then have to disappear again.
(June 19, 2012 at 2:21 am)Chuck Wrote: Crunch the numbers again. The average depth of ocean basins is only 2 miles, and ocean basin covers only 70% of the globe.

To reach top of mount everest, there would need to be an additional 5 miles of water covering 100% of the global.

In other words, the so called Noah's flood would need approximate 4 times more water than currently existent on the surface of the earth, which would then have to disappear again.

For the volume of water today I went with the accepted volume of 1.338 x 10^9 km^3

Ohh crap. I'm a douche. I forgot to divide the diameter of the Earth by 2. This means that the actual volume of water from sea level to the peak of Mt. Everest is 3.53 x 10^5 km^3 making the percentage 0.026%

I don't understand why there has to be an additional 5 miles covering the whole Earth?
(June 19, 2012 at 2:32 am)FallentoReason Wrote: I don't understand why there has to be an additional 5 miles covering the whole Earth?

In order to have the waters cover the highest mountains.
undefined
Because the ocean is on average only 2 miles deep. You will need an additional 5 miles of water to reach top of everest. That's 2.5 time additional volume just from depth considerations. Add to that the ocean basin covers only 70% of the earth surface, where as a global flood will need to cover 100% of the earth surface, which is to say it needs to have about 1.5 x 2.5 times as much water to flood the globe to a depth sufficient to submerge summit of everest.

You can make simplifying thin shell assumptions in calculating water volume, and assume land on average has elevation close to unflooded sea level, both of which reduce accuracy by negligible amounts.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question: Proving the volume of a pyramid GrandizerII 27 3485 March 7, 2022 at 9:38 am
Last Post: polymath257