Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi from Jerusalem + Mutuality ethics project
Hi from Jerusalem + Mutuality ethics project
Hi from Jerusalem. Am an atheist from an Orthodox Jewish family - great to join the community.

I have also posted a separate thread about Mutuality - a serious new effort started with some friends (Palestinian and Israeli) to create a "wiki" based secular ethical code. Everyone welcome to comment/contribute.
http://atheistforums.org/thread-13455.html
[link removed]
RE: Hi from Jerusalem + Mutuality ethics project
Welcome!

However, you'll have to establish yourself a little before self-promoting like this. D:
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Howdy.
Cunt
Quote:Am an atheist from an Orthodox Jewish family

You must be popular at family gatherings.

Shalom, friend.
Shalom Zvi

Welcome from sunny Adelaide, South Australia, where it is currently winter and raining.

Hope you hang around,I'd like to learn more about Israel.

How Orthodox? Hasidim?
(June 20, 2012 at 3:50 pm)Annik Wrote: Welcome!

However, you'll have to establish yourself a little before self-promoting like this. D:

Hey I'm not selling anything - this is a free wiki where anyone who fancies can write/edit thoughts about secular ethics!

(June 20, 2012 at 8:55 pm)padraic Wrote: Shalom Zvi

Welcome from sunny Adelaide, South Australia, where it is currently winter and raining.

Hope you hang around,I'd like to learn more about Israel.

How Orthodox? Hasidim?

No nothing as dramatic as that. Modern orthodox, although I went to some pretty strict schools where we spent half of our time studying talmud etc.

(June 20, 2012 at 4:23 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Am an atheist from an Orthodox Jewish family

You must be popular at family gatherings.

Shalom, friend.

Shalom. I must give credit to my family - they're all very accepting and family gatherings are fine provided we avoid certain topics (well a lot of topics really)
Quote:Modern orthodox, although I went to some pretty strict schools where we spent half of our time studying talmud etc.

Pardon my ignorance ;does that mean a constant reminder to keep the mitzvot, but not as extreme as to say forbid TV?

I'm so glad your family is tolerant of your atheism; my late father was a rabid Catholic,and never accepted my atheism. He was real old prick about it.
(June 21, 2012 at 1:11 am)padraic Wrote: Pardon my ignorance ;does that mean a constant reminder to keep the mitzvot, but not as extreme as to say forbid TV?

Yup that's about right. I guess modern orthodox means keeping all the laws strictly on the one hand, and maintaining the fundamental beliefs in a God-authored Pentateuch, but also living in the modern world - attending university, watching TV.
So, then, they weren't out there rioting about that parking garage being open on Saturday?
Right :-)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  School project Interviewer 20 2014 December 11, 2013 at 8:56 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72