Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two poets one family
Two poets one family
Yesterday I got kicked emotionally in my genes. Not just my gut, but my genes. Allow me to explain.

I was adopted at the age of 6. My adoptive parents certainly loved me, but were nothing like me. My adoptive mom is still alive and I love her to no end, but again, our personalities were never the same. It was the source of constant misunderstanding and typical strife for any kid and parent.

My adoptive mom and dad were both teachers raised with the "kids should be seen but not heard". That did not match my sensitivity growing up and neither they or I understood why we didn't get along, even though, like I said, I never thought they didn't love me.

Compile that with being an only child on a street full of bullies and being at a school where I was endlessly picked on. I had no real friends until high school and even now I struggle with my current boss who doesn't understand his own bullying of others including me.

So fast forward to the mid 90s after 30 years of separation from my biological family when I finally met them. When I did everything made sense to me as to why I was the way I was because my sister and brother displayed the same behaviors as I did.

Fast forward to yesterday. My sister last month told me she had submitted a poem to a context and it got published. The topic, being bullied, feeling tossed aside, feeling invisible. For whatever reason it didn't hit me when I first read it, but yesterday when I read it I felt like I was looking in a mirror. I really don't cry that much over literature, but I have never cried more than I did yesterday.

So for those who'd like to read her poem click on the link in my sig, go to the last page and look for her poem "In Their Own Minds" and above that one was my response after reading it, before I got permission from her to add it to my thread, my poem is called "From The Same Cloth".
RE: Two poets one family
Couldnt' find it mate, and this might be crazy, but provide a direct link maybe?
(June 24, 2012 at 7:48 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: Couldnt' find it mate, and this might be crazy, but provide a direct link maybe?

Son of a bitch, link in the sig is broken, all this damned time too.

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/31771?page=3

Post #156 and 157 "In Their Own Minds" hers and above that mine "The Same Cloth.

Gotta fix my sig.

If that link doesn't work just do a google search "Poems by Brian37" and it should be the top search with the website http://www.rationalresponders.com
Brian, I used to publish on this site, if you are interested: http://www.triond.com/rw/490807 You won't make shit for publishing poetry, however, it will get you a little extra exposure.
Thanks that did the trick.
The link in my sig DOES work. You may have to click on it more than once and refresh it, it is simply a slow link/server. I just clicked on it now and it did work.
Post #156 and 157 <---this information was what helped me the most. Yes, your link went to where it should.
Feel free to make comments there or here and there are 160 and growing, one new today at the end of it.

Hope you enjoy it. But even I like some of my stuff better than some of it so, critics will both like some of it and not like other stuff.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bring me two of anything in the .... Brian37 16 1114 December 24, 2019 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Poets Corner TwoKnives99 0 387 November 19, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: TwoKnives99
  Gay bunny book outsells Pence family's bunny book Foxaèr 1 386 March 20, 2018 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Wondering about two beginnings [Alex K's musical outpourings] Alex K 19 2466 March 26, 2017 at 11:26 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Family Guy did spoof of Revenge of The Nerds Brian37 0 555 August 22, 2016 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Poets and Writers Submit Your Work for Publication in this Elegant Journal Rhondazvous 0 650 November 9, 2015 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Two-Sentence Horror Stories: Post your favorite emilynghiem 28 5468 February 20, 2015 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Strider
  Share a song or two Phatt Matt s 23 4015 May 5, 2014 at 11:00 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  Poets of the Fall Creed of Heresy 6 3134 May 1, 2012 at 6:06 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  New Family - Music Edwardo Piet 0 1000 July 23, 2011 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet