Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tentative Hello
Tentative Hello
Hello, everyone! Name's...well...call me Hime. The reason that the hello here is so tentative is that I'm really quite shocked to find myself on an atheist forum. I don't want to anger the forum gods (oh, the irony!) by posting a deconversion story here instead of in the proper place so I'll try to keep it to a minimum, eh?

I'm young, I admit. I started uni last year and, being faced with loads of different religions, each more improbable than the last, I came to realize that the religion I was raised under was (just maybe!) not the truth to end all truths. Taking a few steps further I watched debate after debate between prominent theists and atheists and read books and books, trying to decide whose argument was better.

As I am here, atheism is clearly winning.

The real problem comes now with telling my family. Following a turbulent, abusive childhood (in which my father was not involved, only my mum), I come from a single father family and he is FERVENTLY christian. When I say fervently christian, I mean he'd pull me out of uni right now if he knew I was deconverting. He's always sworn never to let me marry a non-christian or help me in life if I wasn't his brand of (purely fundamental, hellfire-and-brimstone, sexist, all ye be damned) christianity.

Thing is...he's all I've got. Well, he and a big brother who is married now and doesn't really give tuppence about anything else. I'd hate to lose him. But I find it harder and harder to live a lie, especially on holiday when I go home and get grilled by his church. Not fun.

Suppose I'll keep up the illusion until I'm financially independent (which will be a while as I'm shooting for medical school). Sad, no?

Nevertheless, pleased to meet you! Please take care of me Big Grin
RE: Tentative Hello
Welcome!
Your dad sounds like a first-class dick. It's fairly common among jesus-freaks.... some of the worst people I've ever run into are classed that way... but he is your problem.

Good luck with him. You're going to need it.

Hello, btw.
Hime,

First and foremost, welcome!

Medical shcool? Only do this if you have a serious passion for helping the afflicted.
Hi, it sounds more like you're becoming irreligious as opposed to de-converting to atheism.

I'm sorry to hear your family is dysfunctional, but your father cannot live your life for you. He cannot dictate who you can and cannot marry. That's not the characteristic of a loving parent, but a power-mad control-freak who wants to exert his authority over you.

Nevertheless if you're dependant upon him, it would be best to concentrate on your University studies first. Make sure you're capable of standing on your own two feet before coming out and confessing you don't share his beliefs. It would also be best if you took precautionary steps to protect against the possibility of him turning violent.
Welcome-welcome, princess.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Welcome!
Trying to update my sig ...
What's the difference between becoming irreligious and deconverting to atheism?
Is being irreligious like agnosticism?
Welcome aboard, Hime!
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Welcome to our atheist refuge.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A tentative addition... Mr. Moncrieff 2 751 February 21, 2014 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 5989 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3646 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates