Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey there~
Rainbow 
Hey there~
Hiya hi, forum~ I'm Jabberwocky. I'm a 23-year-old uni student, originally from America but studying biology in Australia. I'm a nerd, a traveler, a future human-brained robotic space traveler, a lover of nature and the environment (and dinosaurs, and non-dinosaurid pre-neogenic life), a part-time veterinary techinician, a would-be visual artist, a human-rights activist, pansexual atheist hippie chick. I have a stupid sense of humor and tend to make a lot of analogies and metaphors that make no sense. I have a sort of half-decent understanding of the evolution of life from primitive nucleic-like molecules but can't remember a person's name fifteen minutes after meeting them, and when mankind finally invents time travel, on my way back to watch the pterosaurs, I will stop by August 13th, 2012, and let myself know that it's possible.

Soon, one way or another, I will know. ^____^

Okay, so I don't really have a "The Day I Stopped with the God Thing" story.... There wasn't really an event to it, it just sort of went about its natural philosophical course. I was raised by an Atheist father and a southern Baptist mother, and basically told that God was something I'd have to figure out on my own. They were wonderful and listened to what I had to say when I had my own thoughts on the matter, but didn't tell me about their own beliefs until I was an adult. I went through a short Christian phase, considered paganism, and finally, for most of my life, went with a vague sort of theism, followed by an even vaguer sort of spirituality that dismissed the idea of a central God figure but allowed for a sense of interconnectedness and immortality through rebirth.

And then I realized that what I was doing was pretty much making up lullabies to keep myself distracted from my fear of ceasing to exist after death. And that the way to deal with that fear was not to try and keep myself from owning it, but rather to face it, to see that it is fear of the cessation of life more than anything else, and to make my life something so awesome, and so powerfully a positive influence on the world around me and the other humans that live on it, that it will be worth the fear of its loss. Personally, I see no reason to find another "reason to live."

But I love talking about spiritual and religious beliefs. Unfortunately, I find it kind of difficult to talk about them with powerfully theistic people- I respect their right to dedicate themselves to a being that I consider highly imaginary, and don't want to be... really kind of a jerk about it, I guess. It's not a sensitive topic to me and I'd love to be wrong; it is a sensitive topic to a lot of theistic people and I don't like hurting feelings. So... I'm here! =D
Anyway, that's my brain-dribble for you all to parse through. Super-nifty to meet everyone~
Brick 
RE: Hey there~
Welcome to the forums Big Grin People don't use post icons enough in my opinion. A stupid sense of humour is the best kind! This is all one sentence!
Pansexual is what I picked up there.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Hi from Perth WA.

Where are you studying??
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Welcome, but I just dont get how you do anything in Australia upsided down.
Welcome to the forum!
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Welcome.
Cunt
(June 23, 2012 at 5:52 am)Brian37 Wrote: Welcome, but I just dont get how you do anything in Australia upsided down.

We all have velcro boots
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Silly Northern Hemispherians!

Welcome Jabberwocky
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hey all... newbie decloaking! wchanley 33 3253 February 19, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Hey :) Kate12345 10 1835 October 19, 2022 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Hey everyone Ryn 3 613 July 4, 2022 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Hey up, you lot. RozzerusUnrelentus 21 2341 January 4, 2021 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Hey Bulxy88 13 2041 July 2, 2020 at 11:00 am
Last Post: Bulxy88