Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 6:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am recently Atheist. Long story short - grew up in a Christian family that never really was dedicated to the religion, so I grew up believing in God but never had deep roots in Christianity.

I've always struggled with beliefs. I always was fascinated with religion and god. In High School I switched to New Age Spiritual Paganism crap to then just being "spiritual"... Now I'm 30 and I no longer believe in god.

Does anyone struggle with the after effects of not believing? I mean, trying to get your mind to stop veering off into places where it shouldn't be. For instance - when something bad happens my first instinct is to pray for it to be better. Or one that I used to say a lot "I'm putting it on god's hands". And do I still believe in Ghosts? I know that atheism isn't really about ghosts, but how could I still believe in ghosts and not believe in a god? I've always believed in ghosts! And the same thing for fate and miracles. Do I not believe in them either? But they're all so warm and fuzzy... it's hard to let go of stuff like that and it's hard to even know if it's important enough to let it go.

I also met a really nice man the other day and we were hitting it off great, until he asked me if I was a Christian. When I said no, the awkwardness was heavy. That's the first time that it hit me that this could be a real problem in the dating area. Would I want to date a Christian? Would a Christian want to date me? And even more so, what is the percentage of single atheist guys out there anyway?

Anyway... all these thoughts... and I haven't even broken the news to my mom or family yet. They know that I don't like religion.. but they still think that I at least believe in god. And I'm not sure what they'll say when I tell them.

It's confusing and a bit scary, so I wanted to join an atheist forum.. and I've been looking for an atheist group in my area through meetup.com, but there doesn't seem to be many nearby... Not sure what to do to meet new like-minded people.
RE: Newbie
Welcome

We live as conscious beings the eternal struggle to find out what is real. I struggled a bit in frst 2 years after I accepted that god might not exist, that all was the natural course of events.

As to the man, if he doesn't put aside his religion to be OK with you, then good riddance. As to coming out as an atheist there are new threads about it in the atheism section, so you can contribute.
Thanks for the welcome!

I also want to add, because I skipped over it for some reason... that I got into Atheism because I was so tired of trying to figure out religion and I came to the conclusion that none of it made sense so I had to just dump all belief.

Then I watched every YouTube and Netflix show/movie/clip on anything and everything from Richard Dawkins to Lawrence Krauss to Christopher Hitchens to Neil DeGrasse Tyson and lots more.

Then I got Dawkin's books- The Selfish Gene and The Greatest Show on Earth.

All of this just convinced me that atheism is absolutely the correct path for me and anything else is just a waste of time. I seek truth now and nothing more. Smile
"Need is not quite belief" - Anne Sexton, Mercy for the Greedy
Welcome to the forums, go ahead and jump right in.

Welcome
(June 25, 2012 at 9:00 am)downeygirl Wrote: Thanks for the welcome!

I also want to add, because I skipped over it for some reason... that I got into Atheism because I was so tired of trying to figure out religion and I came to the conclusion that none of it made sense so I had to just dump all belief.

Then I watched every YouTube and Netflix show/movie/clip on anything and everything from Richard Dawkins to Lawrence Krauss to Christopher Hitchens to Neil DeGrasse Tyson and lots more.

Then I got Dawkin's books- The Selfish Gene and The Greatest Show on Earth.

All of this just convinced me that atheism is absolutely the correct path for me and anything else is just a waste of time. I seek truth now and nothing more. Smile

Being an atheist only means you don't believe god(s). Ask yourself if you believe in a god. Then think of the other lesser gods mankind imagined, they get smaller and smaller. And what evidence is there? None. You needed to be able to define what a god is, and it seems that every religious person have a different definition of it.
Ah, well theres a ritual to join this forum. You have to run naked through a presidential election.
Don't complain, we all had to do it.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
Downey as in RDJ? I like you already! Big Grin

Hi and welcome!
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Howdy!

RDJ is a handsome bastard.
Cunt
(June 25, 2012 at 11:16 am)frankiej Wrote: RDJ is a handsome bastard.

Handsome doesn't quite cut it.. *drooool*
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Hello, Newbie.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hey all... newbie decloaking! wchanley 33 3246 February 19, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Newbie from UK Lucian 4 817 September 9, 2022 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Newbie from UK Lucian 4 908 September 9, 2022 at 5:57 am
Last Post: Lucian
  Hi from a newbie here TrueNorth 16 1212 August 10, 2022 at 4:32 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4