Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The debate is over
The debate is over
Yesterday at work I was sitting in dining room eating and listened to 2 dudes debating on religion.
Muslim versus Atheist. Nobody won.
What's interesting is that every argument by muslim was destroyed years ago just like any argument I hear from religious folks.
So they just say same shit all the time. No point in debating them.
So now I just tell religious folks to read The God Delusion and that I won't debate against them but they think I don't debate them cause I'm scared.
Eh this is tiresome.
What's the point of keeping up debate which ended long time ago.
RE: The debate is over
You're ignorance, along with Dawkins, is astounding. Best keep clear would be my advice Wink
LOL. Dawkins' ignorance? Good one, Fr0ds. Next, you'll be telling us that god created the universe.

Oh. Right.
Trying to update my sig ...
(June 28, 2012 at 8:10 am)Opsnyder Wrote: Muslim versus Atheist. Nobody won.
Its not about winning. Its about having a debate.
(June 28, 2012 at 9:42 am)Epimethean Wrote: LOL. Dawkins' ignorance? Good one, Fr0ds. Next, you'll be telling us that god created the universe.

Oh. Right.

Dawkins is a self proclaimed religious ignoramus Epi. See the way he flushes with embarrassment when he talks about it sometimes. He's the perfect counter fundy to his own argument.

I see that you don't get basic logic either. That also doesn't seem to stop you wanting to make a fool of yourself either.

What Dawkins gets money out of you suckers for is ill researched, ill considered tittle tattle of as much interest as that waffle which transpires between bored housewives over daytime TV. You guys then repeat that shit like it has some kind of intellectual traction with thinking adults. I live in hope that one day you'll work out the true delusion.
The debate is most certainly not over. Google any debates with William Lane Craig or John Lennox. Both are highly intelligent Christians who have held there own against the likes of Dawkins and Hitchens. I may not agree with them, but they make compelling cases.
"God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8).

"Always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you" (1 Peter 3:15).
Fr0d0 is correct on this one. When it comes to religion, Dawkins is one of the most ignorant public figures around.
I think there's better things to do than recommend The God Delusion, personally. If they're the kind of person who still uses bad arguments after they've been dismantled in person, what makes you think encountering the same arguments dismantled in book form will have any different effect? If they're the kind of person who is open to honest discussion then it's worth at least talking to them. Also, although I didn't mind it and there were good points in it, there are simply better books out there.

It's often been my experience that somebody, let's say Person A, comes along with a great argument, however Person B won't accept it, much to A's frustration. This is typical of many [internet] debates on religion. Person B might not be accepting the argument for a number of reasons. A lot of atheists make the assertion that their opponent is being wilfully ignorant, but I don't agree with that. I'd suggest that it's more often than not because they just don't have the requisite knowledge to understand why it's a good argument. They may not understand what constitutes valid and invalid lines of argumentation, they may not understand probability, etc. If you're confronting someone who, for example, doesn't value evidence, you need to start there -- you need to make them value evidence. There's no point making an evidence based argument against someone who doesn't value evidence. It may be that you end up engaging on some point which has nothing to do with religion in order to establish a later point; so be it.

(June 29, 2012 at 3:36 am)Micah Wrote: The debate is most certainly not over. Google any debates with William Lane Craig or John Lennox. Both are highly intelligent Christians who have held there own against the likes of Dawkins and Hitchens. I may not agree with them, but they make compelling cases.

I don't find them very compelling Big Grin
(June 29, 2012 at 3:16 am)fr0d0 Wrote:
(June 28, 2012 at 9:42 am)Epimethean Wrote: LOL. Dawkins' ignorance? Good one, Fr0ds. Next, you'll be telling us that god created the universe.

Oh. Right.

Dawkins is a self proclaimed religious ignoramus Epi. See the way he flushes with embarrassment when he talks about it sometimes. He's the perfect counter fundy to his own argument.

I see that you don't get basic logic either. That also doesn't seem to stop you wanting to make a fool of yourself either.

What Dawkins gets money out of you suckers for is ill researched, ill considered tittle tattle of as much interest as that waffle which transpires between bored housewives over daytime TV. You guys then repeat that shit like it has some kind of intellectual traction with thinking adults. I live in hope that one day you'll work out the true delusion.

So you have evidence for god then.....?
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.

Somehow, it doesn't surprise me that William Lane Craig is holding his own.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where to Debate Theists? Cephus 27 5844 April 13, 2017 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  Has the Atheism vs. Theism debate played it's course? MJ the Skeptical 49 10692 August 12, 2016 at 8:43 am
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  Your favorite Atheist Theist Debate? Nuda900 11 4037 February 28, 2016 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: abaris
  A great atheist debate video. Jehanne 0 1180 February 14, 2016 at 12:04 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  What you see when you win a religious debate... x3 IanHulett 15 5154 October 20, 2015 at 7:45 am
Last Post: robvalue
  AF friends, an opinion on Bible debate, please drfuzzy 25 5382 October 1, 2015 at 10:50 am
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Dawkins' Debate Rejections Shuffle 46 11111 August 28, 2015 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Dawkins explains why he wont debate William Lane Craig Justtristo 45 11025 June 29, 2015 at 3:00 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Anyone want to debate this formally with me? Mystic 37 8274 November 5, 2014 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
Question Organ transplant debate. c172 14 4116 May 11, 2014 at 8:54 am
Last Post: Mr Greene