Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 2:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2012 Farm Bill.....maybe...
2012 Farm Bill.....maybe...
The proposed 2012 farm bill has passed the Senate, but it still needs to pass in the House, which, apparently, has already expressed a complete lack of interest in passing the bill as is. Some highlights (for me anyway).

Passed:

SA 2445 Brown: Rural Development-provides mandatory rural development and beginning farmer and rancher programs. Unfortunately, the necessary increase for socially disadvantaged farmers (Section 2501) was removed from the amendment leaving only $25 million out of a proposed $150 million
(clever move assholes. Mandating increased rural development but leaving out the denizens of rural areas -socially disadvantaged farmers-. I'm sure whatever isn't earmarked for the peasants will end up in a deserving friends hands....lol)

SA 2438 Chambliss: Conservation Crop Insurance-applied highly erodible land conservation compliance to eligibility for crop insurance
(I actually like this one, if you want crop insurance -a sizable portion of the payouts are payed for by John Q btw- you have to show that you aren't a complete asshole essentially shitting on your production floor and then skulking over to the Fed looking for a handout. On the other hand, I bet we'll see lobbyists arguing for a tightening of the standards for "highly erodible land", before you know it cropland will be technically classified as 'indestructable')

SA 2439 Durbin-Coburn: Crop Insurance-Reduces the level of federal premium support for crop insurance by 15% for people with AGI above $750,000
(another good one, could get gamed pretty hard, but a good step.)

SA 2382 Merkley: Organic Crop Insurance-Directs USDA Risk Management Program to establish better indemnity prices for organic crops.
(I actually don't like this one, but let me explain why. Currently the indemnity price for any given crop is the same regardless of production methodology. Which is to say that as far as the insurance providers (and the FED) are concerned, a tomato is a tomato. This is how it should be. The purpose of indemnity (as it applies to government subsidized indemnity-private providers can come up with whatever scheme they like -and they do) is to stabilize the process and output of production. The fed subsidizes a portion of crop insurance payouts so that the crop insurance itself is affordable to farmers, and farmers avail themselves of crop insurance to prevent financial ruin at the hands of a particularly strong gust of wind. This has the effect of securing our access to food. The organic market is a niche market, and dare I say it, a luxury commodities market. Our government should not be in the business of ensuring the profitability of luxury markets which producers entered with full knowledge of both the potential profits and risks. Consider that due to food items being exempt from sales tax, a tomato that costs you 3 dollars and a tomato that costs you 1.29 brings exactly the same revenue to the administration that funds a portion of insurance payouts which, under the plan being bandied about, would actually have to pay more for the luxury tomato in those payouts. Really mull that over a second. Indemnity payouts really kick in with particularly bad yields, but this also increases the price you pay for any given food item at the grocery store (due to it's scarcity). This would allow niche/luxury producers to both charge more for what they do harvest, and collect more for what they didn't. I really can't help but stand in awe at the balls on the people who argue for this sort of thing.)

Denied:

SA 2310 Sanders: Genetically Engineered Food-Adding a consumer’s right to know. Adding labeling
(This one seems like a no-brainer to me. If the food is genetically engineered why shouldn't that be on the label...unless the proposed label is a fucking skull and crossbones. Looking over what has been passed and denied so far it's hard to imagine why the House has expressed reluctance)

SA 2180 Paul: Raw Milk-Was not brought up for debate but would have allowed for interstate travel of Raw Milk
(Thank the milk gods. I would really be disappointed if the raw milk crowd gained traction in a Farm Bill.)

SA 2220 Wynden: Allowed for states to grow hemp. Was not brought up for debate
(No surprise here, who the hell wants to touch this issue if they can avoid it?)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
RE: 2012 Farm Bill.....maybe...
SA 2445, the Can and Able bill.
Trying to update my sig ...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bill Clinton and Ukraine Interaktive 4 359 August 5, 2022 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  TX social media censorship bill Fake Messiah 24 2204 September 14, 2021 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Crypto bill paulpablo 31 2715 August 19, 2021 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  Az Lawmaker introduces scary bill. Brian37 40 3495 February 1, 2021 at 10:29 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Compare Joe Biden In 2012 To Him Today: Signs of Dementia Are Clear ReptilianPeon 11 1941 April 12, 2020 at 6:00 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Equal pay for women's soccer or no Fed funding bill brewer 55 4832 August 4, 2019 at 7:25 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Maybe Putin Will Write A Check? Minimalist 0 276 October 13, 2018 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Maybe Kavanaugh will be the next liberal SCOTUS judge?? Jehanne 10 1369 October 6, 2018 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Farm Bill Food Fight The Grand Nudger 20 3596 May 15, 2018 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Bill Maher's take on #MeToo Brian37 22 4972 January 23, 2018 at 4:06 am
Last Post: shadow