Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hackers bring down flying drone
Hackers bring down flying drone
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18643134

Quote:American researchers took control of a flying drone by hacking into its GPS system - acting on a $1,000 (£640) dare from the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

A University of Texas at Austin team used "spoofing" - a technique where the drone mistakes the signal from hackers for the one sent from GPS satellites.

The same method may have been used to bring down a US drone in Iran in 2011.

Of course the answer is to give the drones more autonomy, but that way lies the terminator future.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: Hackers bring down flying drone
An answer that is, for now,( and publicly at least), a non-answer. Our armed forces have consistently insisted that there should always be a human being with their finger on the trigger. Is that self interest speaking or a genuine show of conscience and clear thinking, who knows.., but I definitely agree...lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
And thus signals the death of the drone.
(June 29, 2012 at 1:51 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: And thus signals the death of the drone.

Nah. The Pentagon will spend a trillion dollars to harden it so that some geek with an Iphone can't bring it down. They'll claim that spending one penny less will endanger national security and they will make lots of generals and admirals to ensure the success of the program and the defense contractors will make sure that they all have cushy private-sector jobs to go to when they retire.

That is how things work in the military-industrial complex.
Drones should be able to conduct a run and return to base without a human puppeteering it.

Is anyone really surprised? The second you abstract a human out of the equation means other people can fuck with it. The only solution is either arms race (against a hacker) or isolation (through autonomous behavior routines).
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
Oh awesome, now the same fat, greasy, sexually frustrated nerds who get their kicks out of being a source of annoyance to people who have lives can now take control of a drone and blow us to shit.
Well, I feel safe.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.

They forget that humans are just as fallible. It's a strawman and a double standard. Humans have fallen prey to spoofing since before the Trojan Horse.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will quantum computers slow our Internet down? FlatAssembler 5 486 November 16, 2023 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Iran developes rescue sea drone Sleepy 25 4242 December 10, 2013 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: EgoRaptor
  Amazon Drone The_Thinking_Theist 21 3554 December 7, 2013 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: The_Thinking_Theist
  Finally Starting to Break Down... Rev. Rye 16 3660 August 18, 2013 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye