Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unchallenged atheist
Unchallenged atheist
Greetings All! FSM Grin

I have been a long time member on atheist.net, but unfortunately traffic on that site is almost non-existant at the moment so I thought this might be the place to join for challenging/interesting debates and so forth.

As I am a Dane - and hence from the most secular country in the world - being an atheist has never been a problem for me... or even abnormal! I was raised that way. There are no religious people in my family or immediate surroundings.

In my country it is the religious people who are in the minority, as even the Christians are of the wishy-washy kind. (For those interested in info about this, check out the writings of American sociologist Phil Zuckerman.) Basically only the intellectually challenged are still religious here, so debating them is neither challenging nor interesting.

I became interested in debating faith a few years back. Partly because I lived in the US for little over a year and partly because I have a university degree in Philosophy. The influence of religion in US politics (and the influence of American foreign policy on the rest of the world) makes it an interesting topic.

Besides debating faith/religion, I am also interested in science, politics, arts, literature and music. Especially astronomy is a long time hobby of mine, and the posts by Orogenicman is one of the reasons I began lurking at this site a while back.

I play music myself (piano and drums since childhood) and currently work as a scriptwriter for Danish television, so I am afraid my opinions in these two areas are biased and dogmatic. Wink

Besides that, I hope to have a good time here debating and am looking forward to 'meeting' all of you.

If anyone has questions about living in a secular society in general or Denmark in particular, I'll be happy to reply. Just send a pm or start a thread.

/ Z.
RE: Unchallenged atheist
Welcome Z Smile
Welcome!
I think you'll find that only the intellectually challenged are religious in the majority of countries. It's just that some countries have higher amounts of the intellectually challenged.

Welcome, though.
What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD
Welcome-welcome.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Dobbelt welcome.
Trying to update my sig ...
greetings Wink
Z?

Is that you?
Oooh! A fellow Scandinavian and pianist! Welcome! Big Grin
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Welcome Z! Enjoy your stay here (very active site)
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5