Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new marketing low?
A new marketing low?
I am for private business, and even big business, DEPENDING on the climate. But marketing really ticks me off sometimes. For example, when you take channels that started off with real intent and good intent like A&E when it first started was not the bullshit it sells now.

Ok, fast forward to today, I am watching an Allstate commercial, now while I don't mind charity, they are scamming off a lagit police and firefighter teddy bear hand out charity. The idea that you hand a kid in a time of strife something they can emotionally hang on to to deal with the stress.

Ok fine, Allstate wants to hand out bears to kids involved in car accidents or house fires or whatever. But what do you know, the bear is wearing an "Allstate" shirt.

It almost makes me think that they are taking a page out of the tactic of believing parents do with god and selling cookies as bribes and fear of hell, get em while they are young and vulnerable.

I guess I would have less of a problem if they did what cops and firefighters do, but do so without the corporate add on the teddy bear.
RE: A new marketing low?
It's just a shirt on a teddy bear. I think you're reading into the situation. A lot.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Nah, he's right. Corporations are scumbags.
Businesses don't do stuff like this purely out of the goodness of their heart. They do it to have their company name attached to good deeds, and what better way to do that than to pur your logo on a free handout. That being said, I don't see the big deal with this.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(July 2, 2012 at 4:36 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Businesses don't do stuff like this purely out of the goodness of their heart. They do it to have their company name attached to good deeds, and what better way to do that than to pur your logo on a free handout. That being said, I don't see the big deal with this.

It's like the free hats they hand out on opening day. Just be glad you got a free hat, neh?
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
(July 2, 2012 at 4:47 pm)Annik Wrote:
(July 2, 2012 at 4:36 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Businesses don't do stuff like this purely out of the goodness of their heart. They do it to have their company name attached to good deeds, and what better way to do that than to pur your logo on a free handout. That being said, I don't see the big deal with this.

It's like the free hats they hand out on opening day. Just be glad you got a free hat, neh?

It ain't free. It was bought with my insurance premium without my consent. And I didn't have the choices I would have if I went to the store and bought it.
Quote:They do it to have their company name attached to good deeds,

The same way the jesus freaks shovel jesus at the down-trodden while giving them a cheap bowl of soup.
(July 2, 2012 at 5:20 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:They do it to have their company name attached to good deeds,

The same way the jesus freaks shovel jesus at the down-trodden while giving them a cheap bowl of soup.

At least the cited above are giving out soup. The awful ones simply give out bibles.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
http://atheistforums.org/thread-13372.html Wink Watching advertisements irritates me. They're disgusting. Creating problems and then offering the solution -- at a price. Emotionally blackmailing and psychologically manipulative. Everything must be packaged and branded, marketed and capitalised on! My personal solution is not to watch TV, read magazines, or listen to the radio.
(July 2, 2012 at 8:41 pm)Tempus Wrote: http://atheistforums.org/thread-13372.html Wink Watching advertisements irritates me. They're disgusting. Creating problems and then offering the solution -- at a price. Emotionally blackmailing and psychologically manipulative. Everything must be packaged and branded, marketed and capitalised on! My personal solution is not to watch TV, read magazines, or listen to the radio.

Selling solutions to problems of one's own manufacture is therwise known as a racket.

Racket is one way to generate profits without enriching society. Countries that protect racketeering as legitimate business model is doomed to terminal economic decline.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bill Hicks on Marketing Tempus 0 1052 June 14, 2012 at 4:26 pm
Last Post: Tempus