Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New atheist who lost my father today
New atheist who lost my father today
Hey there,

I'm a recently realized atheist, within the last two months, and today my father died suddenly at age 67. I have no desire to pray. My family decided to have a priest come In and read him his last rights, which brought some comfort to a couple of my family members. The priest was a nice man, with a genuine heart and concern for our family, which I really appreciated. I do feel grateful that I have found myself to be an atheist before this happened. I have, thus far, been able to accept my father's death in a much more tolerable way than if I had believed in god. If I believed, Imagine I would have a lot more anger and a lot more questions as to why a loving god would have taken my father so soon. At this moment, though still in shock, with a broken heart, I am a grateful and proud, yet devastated atheist.
RE: New atheist who lost my father today
I'm sorry to hear about your father's death. Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it here.
(July 3, 2012 at 2:29 am)Jugsmcgee Wrote: Hey there,

I'm a recently realized atheist, within the last two months, and today my father died suddenly at age 67. I have no desire to pray. My family decided to have a priest come In and read him his last rights, which brought some comfort to a couple of my family members. The priest was a nice man, with a genuine heart and concern for our family, which I really appreciated. I do feel grateful that I have found myself to be an atheist before this happened. I have, thus far, been able to accept my father's death in a much more tolerable way than if I had believed in god. If I believed, Imagine I would have a lot more anger and a lot more questions as to why a loving god would have taken my father so soon. At this moment, though still in shock, with a broken heart, I am a grateful and proud, yet devastated atheist.

Sorry about your loss. I lost my dad at 13.

Believers do not want to see life as it is. Death is an unfortunate, but quite mundane and natural part of all of biological evolution. All plants, insects, animals, and humans die.

But in your pain, remember, your anger isn't at any real god, but the claim of a god a person makes that their claimed diety is all good and all loving and all powerful. Epicurus addresses this broken concept in "The problem with evil".

I had a friend who was an atheist who served in WW2, was an atheist then and died almost 10 years ago. We knew he was dying. He knew he was dying. A bunch of Unitarians, of the church he attended, mixed beliefs, went to visit him. I took a huge risk in making a joke when we got there "Let us pray", Ben, they dying guy, and even the believers cracked up because of his atheism. It was nice to see him smile knowing what he was about to face.

So I know it never ultimately brings comfort, but you are better off facing reality than believing in utopias.

Just know that you had the time you had with him and he will survive in your brain as long as you are alive, and you can comfort yourself somewhat with the memories of the good times.

My mom has a phrase on a piece of paper on her desk, "Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened". You are going to cry, don't ignore that, but think about all the good as well.

Hope that helps somewhat.
I'm sorry about your loss.

One of the hardest parts of life is coping with the fact that bad, random shit happens that we have no control over. Because of this we have to cherish the time with our loved ones we had and not dwell on the time of which we were robbed.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Sorry for your loss.

I think its ok to feel bad, just don't linger much in the sadness. We are all just finite beings, and you have the memories of him.

Welcome
Hey - sorry to hear about your loss, Jugsmcgee.
Welcome to the forums. Sad
[Image: Semiotic-1.png]
Pollitics | Religion | Headline News | General Chat
It saddens me to hear your father recently passed away- I don't think I could bear it nearly as well as you. I'm not emotional when it comes to the typical "sad" experiences, like sad movies or books or the like, but it all pours out when I lose something I love.
Welcome.
My conclusion is that there is no reason to believe any of the dogmas of traditional theology and, further, that there is no reason to wish that they were true.
Man, in so far as he is not subject to natural forces, is free to work out his own destiny. The responsibility is his, and so is the opportunity.
-Bertrand Russell
Welcome Jugs

My sympathy for the loss of your Dad. 67 isn't THAT young...it just seems that way. He will not really be gone as long as you remember him mate, hang on to that.

Many Ministers/ Priests are good people even with their god....or in-spite of their god
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
-Internet Hug-

I'm sorry for your loss. It's not easy, but I'm sure your father loved you and he knew you loved him.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Thank you for the warm welcome, everyone. I appreciate the kind words, especially considering they're lacking of the usual bullshit phrases people mutter off to try to make you feel better. "He's in a better place now", "He's watching over you", and the like really just don't do anything except make me roll my eyes. I do respect and appreciate, however, the intent behind that sort of talk, as I know people are just trying to be loving and supportive.
Man, does this suck.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How I lost my faith in Christianity at 4 highdimensionman 21 2104 May 25, 2022 at 3:53 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Hello athesist planet. Just lost my faith. Now What? Suz 28 2499 May 23, 2020 at 2:55 am
Last Post: JohnMBauer
  Happy Father's Day! Foxaèr 12 1700 June 17, 2018 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Antix - Our Father Antix 0 718 October 4, 2013 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: Antix
  FInally stopped lying to myself, now a little lost. hookakat1 39 7179 July 5, 2013 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Rahul
  New New New Quid 23 4815 December 11, 2012 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  New poster; relatively new atheist. Creed of Heresy 15 4145 February 21, 2012 at 11:56 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  New here, but not a new Atheist mboss 12 4067 June 15, 2011 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Epimethean
  Joined today! ozgoat 41 10293 February 17, 2011 at 7:02 am
Last Post: Zen Badger
  Hello from a new atheist and a new member ssmutters 12 3189 August 9, 2010 at 7:14 am
Last Post: Super Cynic