Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CERN confirms new particle.
CERN confirms new particle.
The new particle is a kind of Higgs Boson particle, although they still don't think it's the "Higgs Bosom" (brand name!) particle.

A comment on Reddit sums it up nicely:
code_primate of Reddi Wrote:Actually, we observed a new state at 125 GeV and it seems consistent with a Standard Model Higgs boson. We have NOT discovered the SM Higgs boson because we simply haven't confirmed that this new particle is the SM Higgs because we're only looking at mass itself. It could be something else with a mass of 125 GeV. To actually claim it is the SM Higgs, we need to confirm that it has spin 0, the right coupling ratios, etc. And that's what I'm working on right now. But it is very exciting because we have discovered new physics.

Source: Working at CMS

Some articles from various sources:
Reuters.com
New York Times
Computerworld.com

Feel free to merge with the existing Higgs Bosom thread, but I feel it warrants its own thread.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
RE: CERN confirms new particle.
Not a physicist here, but have they really discovered "new physics"? As in, new interactions among particles?
“The truth of our faith becomes a matter of ridicule among the infidels if any Catholic, not gifted with the necessary scientific learning, presents as dogma what scientific scrutiny shows to be false.”
Well, it's a newly discovered particle, which is a part of physics. I believe the Higgs has to do with mass.
The Higgs Boson particle gives Mass to other particles. It's the "Priest Particle."

....... No?

Anyway... I'm really excited about all this! I'm so happy for the guys and girls at CERN who have been working ever so hard for so long to achieve this. It is truly an historic event that science will remember for a very long time.
This came up tonight with my friends actually. One of them told me they found the 'god particle' and she wanted me to read the article so I could explain to her what the implications were. I wasn't in the mood for research right there and then though.

Does anyone understand in a nutshell what the Higgs Boson particle is? I know that might not be what they discovered but I guess my friend wanted me to explain the 'worst case scenario' to her. She seemed quite shocked about this article actually, but hid it fairly well.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
Well, the way Hovik explained it to me was that it's the particle that gives things their mass. That means it's directly involved in gravity. As gravity is the "god" of the universe, it was named the "god" particle. We're going to gain amazing insight into mass and gravity. :3
I think the name "Priest Particle" is vastly superior to the actual one. I'm surprised it wasn't the one used, especially given scientists' usual penchant for such jokes.

Incidentally, I got this from the FB wall of an old schoolfriend turned Church spokesman:

"Is the Higgs Bosun called the God particle because scientists really believe it exists and can see its work but can't prove it conclusively?"

prompting a "you are soooo very clever. How do you think these up? I'm well impressed" from an easily-pleased follower.

I replied thuswise:

"More like physicist Leon Lederman (who coined the name) was trolling."

I expect the replies to reach critical mass in very short order.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
The higgs particle interacts with other particles, slowing them down, this is what mass is and why we aren't all exploding at light speed.

This is a very basic explanation that Terry Pratchett would call a "lie to children".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lie-to-children

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Also: I want some "Higgs Bosoms" to go with my Large Hardon Collider.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Uhhh, it's Higgs field, not Higgs boson, that is postulated gives certain particles mass. Higgs boson merely represent a specific predicted behavior of the Higgs field under excitation. Detection of Higgs boson suggest this behavior is real, and therefore is good evidence Higgs field itself is real and not a pure math construct.

If Higgs boson itself must interact with matter to give them mass, then we must be awash in a sea of Higgs bosons all the time since we have mass all the time, and we won't Need the LHC to detect it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are Photons the Particle Associatid with the CMB? Rhondazvous 5 1154 September 9, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Anti-Matter at CERN chimp3 24 3370 December 21, 2016 at 7:12 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Newest super-sensitive test failed to catch a Dark Matter particle. Why? theBorg 40 5994 August 21, 2016 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  First collisions at the LHC with unprecedented Energy! (Ask a particle physisicist) Alex K 385 55572 August 8, 2016 at 5:03 am
  Elementary Particle for Heat? Rhondazvous 21 2990 February 21, 2016 at 5:03 pm
  LHC News - New particle found dyresand 0 972 July 14, 2015 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Why the Highs Boson can no longer be called the God particle... max-greece 12 2886 May 11, 2014 at 9:30 am
Last Post: max-greece
  Mach–Zehnder interferometer, Particle or Wave? little_monkey 3 1900 May 22, 2013 at 9:18 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Spitzer confirms cosmological inflation Jackalope 21 5279 October 6, 2012 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Will the LHC find the 'God' Particle? CoxRox 11 4793 August 3, 2012 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Jackalope