Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
I have an honest question for theists.
I have an honest question for theists.
I'm not trolling, I'm not trying to be insulting, I'm just curious.

How would you live your life if it was proven to you that there is no god? I'm not attempting to prove anything, we're going to take it as an assumption for the sake of curiosity. Whatever it takes to prove to you there is no god, they just found it and it's all over the news.

What would you do/how would you proceed? I'm just curious to know, is all.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
RE: I have an honest question for theists.
But, without god their life is meaningless, they won't even entertain the idea, withouth god there is nothing to them... Where else I've experienced this.

Sorry couldn't help myself Big Grin

Nothing to add
An interesting question. I don't think it's actually possible to put oneself into those shoes though. It's kind of like when atheists say 'even if you did show me god was real, I still wouldn't worship it'. Pretty much the individual will give an obviously and understandably biased view.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(July 5, 2012 at 12:24 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: An interesting question. I don't think it's actually possible to put oneself into those shoes though. It's kind of like when atheists say 'even if you did show me god was real, I still wouldn't worship it'. Pretty much the individual will give an obviously and understandably biased view.

I wouldn't worship any of the gods, as they are nothng but inventons of the human brain, developed like a virus through society. Do you truly believe the christian god is moral?

Why does a god require worship?
(July 5, 2012 at 12:47 pm)LastPoet Wrote:
(July 5, 2012 at 12:24 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: An interesting question. I don't think it's actually possible to put oneself into those shoes though. It's kind of like when atheists say 'even if you did show me god was real, I still wouldn't worship it'. Pretty much the individual will give an obviously and understandably biased view.

I wouldn't worship any of the gods, as they are nothng but inventons of the human brain, developed like a virus through society. Do you truly believe the christian god is moral?

Why does a god require worship?

What I was trying to say is that I've seen the opposite response i.e. flip the question around and ask yourself 'how would I live if god was real?'
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
I would live as if he was real.
(July 5, 2012 at 1:19 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: I would live as if he was real.
Yup +1
If 'God' was proven to be real, I would live the same way I do now... because if he is real, he apparently has no discernible effect upon my life.
I don't think that I would be that much surprised or shocked if I "knew" that God didn't exist. I would probably feel a little bit heart-broken at first (or maybe not), but then the next day I'll probably get used to it and go back to living happily without thinking about an afterlife nor worry about being punished for my sins.

And, of course, I would change my religious views in this forum from "Muslim" to "Atheist."

(July 5, 2012 at 1:25 pm)fr0d0 Wrote:
Yup +1

Please let us know what this would look like. How would you live your life as if 'he' was real?

Are you only referring to your ethics and how you would live in society and how you'd treat other people?

Or are you saying that you'd continue to obey the dictates of the religious text and perform whatever religious rituals the god you previously believed existed required?

In other words, if you previously believed that premarital sex or eating pork were against your god's laws, and that is the reason you did not partake of either, would you now partake of them? If you previously voted against allowing gay marriage based on Biblical laws, would you change the way you vote?

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Serious question about thoughts on theists Kingpin 118 6380 May 18, 2023 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question to theists purplepurpose 172 26055 June 21, 2018 at 4:18 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  I have a question about religious parents Der/die AtheistIn 22 3658 January 25, 2018 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Theists, Who would You Rather Have as a Neighbor Rhondazvous 23 7655 November 10, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Should Theists have the burden of proof at the police and court? Vast Vision 16 5181 July 10, 2017 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Jesster
  An Honest Man Minimalist 4 2417 July 9, 2017 at 8:49 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  A simple question for theists masterofpuppets 86 20775 April 10, 2017 at 11:12 am
Last Post: emjay
  Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism? PETE_ROSE 455 100884 April 5, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Going to be brutally honest [Religion Edition] dyresand 3 1396 August 25, 2016 at 5:25 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Forum theists: when you have a moment, please... Athene 125 26533 October 27, 2015 at 11:09 am
Last Post: Mr Greene