Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can anyone explain to me how what this poll shows happened?
Can anyone explain to me how what this poll shows happened?
A Pew Poll showed that Atheists in 2007 were at 1.6%, and Jews were at 1.7%. While a 2009 Pew Poll said that Atheists in 2009 were at 5%, and Jews were at 4%.
Agnostics, and no religious affiliation also increased
RE: Can anyone explain to me how what this poll shows happened?
The results of polls depend on what questions are asked.

The clip below IS satire,but only just.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZZJXw4MTA
The goal of a poll is supposed to be to objectively (using a science) determine something. Seeing as how Pew is up there with the best I don't see how they would try to "play" the public.
(July 6, 2012 at 2:54 am)amateurlyinsightful Wrote: A Pew Poll showed that Atheists in 2007 were at 1.6%, and Jews were at 1.7%. While a 2009 Pew Poll said that Atheists in 2009 were at 5%, and Jews were at 4%.

Can you give a citation? Because that's a lot of unaccounted-for percentage points. They don't just disappear.
“The truth of our faith becomes a matter of ridicule among the infidels if any Catholic, not gifted with the necessary scientific learning, presents as dogma what scientific scrutiny shows to be false.”
Yea, I'll put it up tomorow. I got to sleep first. I copy & pasted this from another post of mine somewhere else, and I remember it was hard to find in the first place
Well now the numbers are up to 16%, as I recall. Either we're seeing a wild acceleration in atheistic mindsets or...I dunno, really. Maybe the polls are off? Somehow?
(July 6, 2012 at 5:23 am)Creed of Heresy Wrote: Well now the numbers are up to 16%, as I recall. Either we're seeing a wild acceleration in atheistic mindsets or...I dunno, really. Maybe the polls are off? Somehow?

You'd need to see what was being categorized as 'atheist'. One poll I saw described as 'atheist' a positive response to the question, "Do you ever doubt that God exists?" So it depends on the methodology of the poll.
“The truth of our faith becomes a matter of ridicule among the infidels if any Catholic, not gifted with the necessary scientific learning, presents as dogma what scientific scrutiny shows to be false.”
(July 6, 2012 at 5:57 am)CliveStaples Wrote: You'd need to see what was being categorized as 'atheist'. One poll I saw described as 'atheist' a positive response to the question, "Do you ever doubt that God exists?" So it depends on the methodology of the poll.

This. The classification of 'atheist' seems to vary poll to poll. And sometimes the irreligious are thrown in too.
What was this poll about? I have no idea what stats I am looking at...
(July 6, 2012 at 4:52 am)CliveStaples Wrote:
(July 6, 2012 at 2:54 am)amateurlyinsightful Wrote: A Pew Poll showed that Atheists in 2007 were at 1.6%, and Jews were at 1.7%. While a 2009 Pew Poll said that Atheists in 2009 were at 5%, and Jews were at 4%.

Can you give a citation? Because that's a lot of unaccounted-for percentage points. They don't just disappear.

http://religions.pewforum.org/reports/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you're really a spektic then explain this: jasonstackhouse 142 5806 February 24, 2024 at 7:28 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Quick Poll - Do you believe in God? Tiberius 1632 452044 May 13, 2023 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1025 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Gallup Poll for 2022 TheJefe817 27 3096 July 2, 2022 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Abortion poll Agnostico 75 7501 June 20, 2022 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 35348 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  how do atheists explain nightmare Gano21 19 1354 January 2, 2022 at 4:50 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the forum.... jessieban 39 3718 June 21, 2019 at 8:11 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Poll: 0.0% of Icelanders Under 25 Believe God Created The World blue grey brain 37 6390 January 24, 2019 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Common Sense shows religion screws people up. Usalabs 11 2803 March 20, 2017 at 12:34 am
Last Post: SuperSentient