Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Communist murder of the religious: Not atheism's fault
Communist murder of the religious: Not atheism's fault
Ok, because I am getting really tired of constantly hearing about how since Stalin was an atheist, tried to impose what he felt was atheism upon his countrymen, and murdered religious people supposedly just for being religious, that therefore an atheist killed religious people "far more than religious people killed atheists" and in larger quantities in general than religion has ever done ergo atheism is more immoral than religions are, I'm starting this thread, wherein I will [attempt] to disabuse people of this aforementioned notion...people who cling to this ridiculous notion in a pitiful attempt to vindicate the atrocities of their own religions by measuring them against Stalin's atrocities.

Let's start first by, unfortunately, using a bit of "No true scotsman." I hate to use what is largely considered a logical fallacy here, but in this case, it actually does have merit; hear me out first. The primary element of atheism is that there are no gods. This can be interpreted in many ways, of course; there are christian atheists and jewish atheists, for example. Putting aside the fact that quite often those individuals are walking contradictions [you cannot accept that Jesus was a moral man without also believing he really was the son of god, since Jesus pretty much made it clear to any observer that either he was really the son of god or he was just a raving lunatic by his actions and words, for example], let's consider what atheism "means." It means "not theistic." Theism, according to the dictionary, is a belief in either a god, or a supreme, infallible being, and atheism is the opposite; either active disbelief in such a notion, or the lack of belief in such a notion.

I'm going to jump right to it, here; Stalin thought himself a supreme being. A god, if you will. What is a god but something that is perfect, beyond reproach, infallible, unquestionable? That is the very essence of a god, to either believer or nonbeliever, and what supposedly makes a god worthy of worship. I could make the comparisons between Stalin and the god of both the old AND new testaments, of the torah, and of the koran, but it would take all day.

To name just a few, however; both were extremely jealous beings, incapable of even tolerating the idea of another entity being venerated even nearly as much as they were; for considering any other possible government ideas other than the ones Stalin proclaimed that the populace must follow, you were punished as a "dissident." For worshiping idols or other gods, you were punished as a "blasphemer."

Both would condemn you to death on a moment's notice without a second thought if you transgressed against them in any way; apparently god did not contact about 90% of the rest of the world himself, instead leaving it to the Israelites to spread his ideas, and thus willfully condoning slaughter and murder and genocide and slavery to those whom he apparently didn't bother contacting, because they were doing things he didn't like...even though he never bothered to tell them. Stalin, meanwhile, was notorious for pretty much creating laws on a whim and if you were unlucky enough to not hear about these laws and you did something without even realizing it was against the law? You were punished for your treachery...nevermind that you probably didn't know you were being treacherous to begin with. It was how Stalin kept his people on their toes and kept their toes on the line; if threatened with death or torture or both for falling anywhere outside of the lines drawn by the party and ergo by Stalin, you pretty much stopped even considering doing something that wasn't sanctioned by the party. Pretty much like what happened with god in the old testament with him condemning people this way and that to death and everything else for not obeying rules he never informed them of.

Both would put you through hell if you did not follow what they said without question, although Stalin's form of hell was the Gulags; windowless, bare, dank cells, daily torture and forced hard labor and less-than-minimal nourishment and constant isolation, and god's idea of hell is...well, it's hell; fire and brimstone and torture and starvation and suffering.

I could go on in this vein for quite some time, including the promise of rewards, the indoctrination of those rewarded and of the masses, and the ownership not just of the body but of the very mind and thoughts and ideas of the masses. I won't. My point should be sufficiently clear by this point and if it's not, that's your problem for not being able to put two and two together. If you're going "durrrrr dis dun really add up, nope, he's makin this up," go read a fucking history book, read the old testament, and get back at me once you've managed to utilize basic logic, got it?

Moving on.

Stalin basically sought to usurp god as the object of idolization and worship, and for all intents and purposes he pretty much did. And the best thing about it is that he used the exact same methods that the god of the "holy books" did. Coercion, guilt-tripping, accusation, condemnation, idolation, fervor, fanaticism, indoctrination, evangelism; Stalin used it all, to a very effective extent. Let's consider this, shall we?

First, usurping: Religious institutions were the second largest power in the USSR, second only to the Party itself. They told people to do something other than venerate the party, so Stalin decided to get rid of them, since they were exhorting worship not of the party but of god. In fact a lot of churches outright opposed Stalin specifically because they saw him trying to usurp god as the object of sole worship. In this regard, you could say they were doing the right thing, but you'd be wrong; neither side is right, here. Both are demanding willful mindless unthinking self-enslavement to a single entity...they only differ in what entity that is. One is the party. One is "Yahweh." The differences after that? Zero. With the churches outlawed, the adherents being punished for not venerating Stalin as the one true entity of adulation, Stalin effectively destroyed his only real opposition, thus solidifying his power in both his mind and the minds of his countrymen.

Second, coercion, since this a short one. Christianity: Believers get to go to heaven, a paradise, a realm of succor and heavenly enlightenment. Stalinism: People unquestioningly obedient to the party get treats, like increased power over others, better benefits of food and luxury and other such earthly advantages. And also consider how important something simple like a loaf of bread was to the Soviet people at this time, given the famine ravaging their country, resulting in somewhere between 6-10 million people starving to death; the prospect of being able to have a better shot of getting food? And not just any food but SUSTENANCE? A fucking STEAK now and then? THAT, in such a situation, would pretty much be heaven.

Third, accusation, condemnation, and guilt-tripping. Christianity: If god on high through his priests/ministers/followers says you're doing wrong, who the fuck are you to argue otherwise? Stalinism: If Stalin on top of the Party through his commissariat/proletariat/police informants says you're doing wrong, who the fuck are you to argue otherwise?

Fourth, idolation, fervor, fanaticism, indoctrination, evangelism: Christianity: You are to idolize god, and only god, for breathing life into you, for providing you with this world and all its succor. The truly devout, those who get on their knees willfully and eagerly and pray with all their heart and soul to god to exhort and adulate him for all of his praises, are those most blessed and worthy and praised by god. To be ready to take the lives of your family and friends and all those you love out of the higher love for god is the best way to prove your faith to almighty god. To follow unquestioningly, and to birth more children and to spread the ideas to them, to your friends, to your family, is to do the true work of god. Stalinism: You are to idolize the party, and only the party, for liberating you, supposedly, from the yolk of your oppressors [the rich and greedy], for being so kind as to provide you with your bread and your purpose in life [to work for the party and therefore for a worthy cause]. The truly devout, those who sing the praises of Stalin and the party, who put their blood, sweat, and tears into their labors for the good of the Party, are those most dutiful and to be an example for all to follow. To be ready to rat out your friends, your family, your loved ones should they ever dare to question the Party is to gain higher status and be an example for all to follow. To follow what the party says unquestioningly, to birth more children and to bring others into the fold of the party, to provide more workers, to bring about more strength to the Soviet Union as a whole and to make all more powerful as a result is the greatest thing you can do.

Stalin used the very same methods that christianity and every other religion uses to gain power over the masses. He used the same methods of cruelty and false compassion that the religious had used throughout history, and he used it against them. Oh I see, now, why the Christians are so hateful towards Stalin: How DARE he use their own methods against them! How dare he say there is no god but the Party?! How dare he tear down their institutions and erect his own?! Brings to mind the crusades, the inquisition, the evangelism and tithes and the desecration of pagan and jewish and muslim places of worship, and the erection of christian places of worship over their ruins and the stealing of the victims' traditions for their own bastardized versions to strengthen their position over those they conquer, brings to mind how the abrahamic god demanded worship of no other god but he and how he punished those who transgressed this demand...doesn't it? Oh how it hurts when your own methods are turned against you, doesn't it?

The cruelty of irony.

But once again, I compare Stalin with God. God by nature would be an atheist, wouldn't he? For if he is the ultimate power, then he has no faith in a higher being, right? Stalin considered himself the ultimate power and his cult of personality shows this countless times throughout history, so of course he would have no faith in a higher power because he WAS the higher power. HE. WAS. GOD. In his mind, his eyes, and ultimately in the eyes of his countrymen and fellow party members, Stalin was god. He wasn't an atheist because he disbelieved in god, he was an atheist because he considered himself to be a god.

You want an example of the fanaticism? For the christians, it was the crusades and martyrs and saints. For the Soviets...I need only speak the city's name and those who know anything of history will know of what I mean, when I say "Stalingrad."

You want an example of how they used scapegoats and ideas of what to avoid to retain their influence? America/Capitalism, Satan/Hedonism.

Stalin was an atheist and totalitarian. He didn't have others killed in the name of atheism, though; he had them killed in the name of himself.

God is an atheist and totalitarian. He doesn't have others killed in the name of atheism, though; he has them killed in the name of himself.

So I conclude; Stalin was an atheist like God is an atheist. Atheism, and atheists, do not kill in the name of atheism...because as anyone with the ability to reason knows, you cannot kill in the name of a non-entity. But those of the totalitarian mindset DO kill in the name of their totalitarian entity of choice.

There is SO MUCH MORE I could use to expand on this but this post is already ridiculously long enough as it is, and if I REALLY need to have to expand further on it then whoever the fuck the mouth-breather is that is questioning this has no hope of ever getting it through their thick, empty skulls anyway and beyond that point it would be a waste of time.

But in conclusion: God/Stalin = The same fucking thing. NOBODY. KILLS. IN THE NAME. OF ATHEISM.

[Afterthought: After considering all that I just wrote and after considering how much more I could have added, I literally am aghast now that I seriously have to spell it out for anyone who doesn't get it. Literally unfuckingbelievable.]
RE: Communist murder of the religious: Not atheism's fault
(July 7, 2012 at 11:46 am)Creed of Heresy Wrote: I'm going to jump right to it, here; Stalin thought himself a supreme being. A god, if you will. What is a god but something that is perfect, beyond reproach, infallible, unquestionable? That is the very essence of a god, to either believer or nonbeliever, and what supposedly makes a god worthy of worship. I could make the comparisons between Stalin and the god of both the old AND new testaments, of the torah, and of the koran, but it would take all day.
Stalin didn't portray himself as god, that is ridiculous he worshipped both lenin and marx and considered them the founders of communism and the russian revolt. Stalin if anything was a victim of the imperialist russian culture of king (czar) worship. There was a "cult of personality" if your saying that, but that was an echo of the imperialist culture, it was, in no way, mandatory like in ANY monarchy or imperialist culture, in Japan for example it was considered illegal to defame just an image of the emporer so if you crumpled up a flyer with the emporer's picture on it, and threw it in the trash you went to prison.
Quote:To name just a few, however; both were extremely jealous beings, incapable of even tolerating the idea of another entity being venerated even nearly as much as they were; for considering any other possible government ideas other than the ones Stalin proclaimed that the populace must follow, you were punished as a "dissident." For worshiping idols or other gods, you were punished as a "blasphemer."
When did this ever happen? Are you talking about the nazi collabarator's? Alot more people then the Germans hated the Jews ya know.

Quote:Stalin, meanwhile, was notorious for pretty much creating laws on a whim and if you were unlucky enough to not hear about these laws and you did something without even realizing it was against the law? You were punished for your treachery...nevermind that you probably didn't know you were being treacherous to begin with. It was how Stalin kept his people on their toes and kept their toes on the line;
again what are you talking about, what laws, what people, who are you reffering too?
Quote: if threatened with death or torture or both for falling anywhere outside of the lines drawn by the party and ergo by Stalin, you pretty much stopped even considering doing something that wasn't sanctioned by the party.
plenty of poeple where sentenced with treason in the US Britain every single country involved in WW2 or pretty much any war in the history of the world, has sentenced an innocent person to prison, hell in America we still do it couple dozen times a day. Not that it excuses it, but it's no different then what america's done, did you forget the japanese internement?

Quote:Both would put you through hell if you did not follow what they said without question, although Stalin's form of hell was the Gulags; windowless, bare, dank cells, daily torture and forced hard labor and less-than-minimal nourishment and constant isolation, and god's idea of hell is...well, it's hell; fire and brimstone and torture and starvation and suffering.
Your referring to maybe 1 or 2 "gulags" that were no different then american prison labor, Siberia's maybe was pretty bad but you can't seriously beleive, that when someone shows you the worst prison in ww2 russia, then tells you how many people went to prison in total, that their not ommitting atleast, a teeny tiny bit of truth, from that?

Not only did some of these Gulags become beautiful towns but many of them flourished and the people lived better lives then they would have, if they had stayed in their homeland.
Quote:I could go on in this vein for quite some time, including the promise of rewards, the indoctrination of those rewarded and of the masses, and the ownership not just of the body but of the very mind and thoughts and ideas of the masses.
All false super debunked rumors, you want to talk propaganda let's talk about why you know so many falshoods about the USSR?
Quote:First, usurping: Religious institutions were the second largest power in the USSR, second only to the Party itself. They told people to do something other than venerate the party, so Stalin decided to get rid of them, since they were exhorting worship not of the party but of god. In fact a lot of churches outright opposed Stalin specifically because they saw him trying to usurp god as the object of sole worship. In this regard, you could say they were doing the right thing, but you'd be wrong; neither side is right, here. Both are demanding willful mindless unthinking self-enslavement to a single entity...they only differ in what entity that is. One is the party. One is "Yahweh." The differences after that? Zero. With the churches outlawed, the adherents being punished for not venerating Stalin as the one true entity of adulation, Stalin effectively destroyed his only real opposition, thus solidifying his power in both his mind and the minds of his countrymen.
The soviets, killed the religous monarchy, that was, the Czar system of russia, So if they wanted supreme one party rule they would have left it, the way it was, you have no clue what communism is. Did Stalin's children become leader after he died....no
Quote:Second, coercion, since this a short one. Christianity: Believers get to go to heaven, a paradise, a realm of succor and heavenly enlightenment. Stalinism: People unquestioningly obedient to the party get treats, like increased power over others, better benefits of food and luxury and other such earthly advantages. And also consider how important something simple like a loaf of bread was to the Soviet people at this time, given the famine ravaging their country, resulting in somewhere between 6-10 million people starving to death; the prospect of being able to have a better shot of getting food? And not just any food but SUSTENANCE? A fucking STEAK now and then? THAT, in such a situation, would pretty much be heaven.
SO now your blaming famine on the soviet's? DO you know what the American dust bowl i,s let's look at how wealthy americans live TODAY while millions starve. your facts are all twisted here too, I dont even know where to start with this, so I'LL move on.
Quote:Third, accusation, condemnation, and guilt-tripping. Christianity: If god on high through his priests/ministers/followers says you're doing wrong, who the fuck are you to argue otherwise? Stalinism: If Stalin on top of the Party through his commissariat/proletariat/police informants says you're doing wrong, who the fuck are you to argue otherwise?
if the police in America say you do wrong who are you to argue? what are you talking about this is just nonsense, how can you say, if stalin said you did wrong you can't argue when you live in a country where that goes on TODAY

Your arguments might be true, if the entire USSR was setup for, and by, Stalin himself, which it wasn't

Quote: Stalinism: You are to idolize the party, and only the party, for liberating you, supposedly, from the yolk of your oppressors [the rich and greedy], for being so kind as to provide you with your bread and your purpose in life [to work for the party and therefore for a worthy cause]. The truly devout, those who sing the praises of Stalin and the party, who put their blood, sweat, and tears into their labors for the good of the Party, are those most dutiful and to be an example for all to follow. To be ready to rat out your friends, your family, your loved ones should they ever dare to question the Party is to gain higher status and be an example for all to follow. To follow what the party says unquestioningly, to birth more children and to bring others into the fold of the party, to provide more workers, to bring about more strength to the Soviet Union as a whole and to make all more powerful as a result is the greatest thing you can do.
None of this is true about the USSR much less Stalin, I think you're decribing America
Quote:Stalin used the very same methods that christianity and every other religion uses to gain power over the masses. He used the same methods of cruelty and false compassion that the religious had used throughout history, and he used it against them. Oh I see, now, why the Christians are so hateful towards Stalin: How DARE he use their own methods against them! How dare he say there is no god but the Party?! How dare he tear down their institutions and erect his own?!
this is more funny than intelligent, but I'll accept it.
Quote:Brings to mind the crusades, the inquisition, the evangelism and tithes and the desecration of pagan and jewish and muslim places of worship, and the erection of christian places of worship over their ruins and the stealing of the victims' traditions for their own bastardized versions to strengthen their position over those they conquer, brings to mind how the abrahamic god demanded worship of no other god but he and how he punished those who transgressed this demand...doesn't it? Oh how it hurts when your own methods are turned against you, doesn't it?

The cruelty of irony.
no it's not ironic and it doesn't remind me of anything except the christians (who I know you hate) who say atheism or science or liberalism is just another religion
Quote:But once again, I compare Stalin with God. God by nature would be an atheist, wouldn't he? For if he is the ultimate power, then he has no faith in a higher being, right? Stalin considered himself the ultimate power and his cult of personality shows this countless times throughout history, so of course he would have no faith in a higher power because he WAS the higher power. HE. WAS. GOD. In his mind, his eyes, and ultimately in the eyes of his countrymen and fellow party members, Stalin was god. He wasn't an atheist because he disbelieved in god, he was an atheist because he considered himself to be a god.
Stalin was not god, Lenin was not god, Marx was not god, what are you talking about, where do you get this crap from?
Quote:You want an example of the fanaticism? For the christians, it was the crusades and martyrs and saints. For the Soviets...I need only speak the city's name and those who know anything of history will know of what I mean, when I say "Stalingrad."
What about stalingrad, it is such a small part of soviet history and your comparing it, to the improtance christians place, on the hometown of their messiah/mangod
Quote:Stalin was an atheist and totalitarian. He didn't have others killed in the name of atheism, though; he had them killed in the name of himself.

God is an atheist and totalitarian. He doesn't have others killed in the name of atheism, though; he has them killed in the name of himself.
not true... just completely not true... in any form.... it might as well be made up, again I ask where did you get this from?

Quote:So I conclude; Stalin was an atheist like God is an atheist.
This is either the smartest or the dumbest statement anyone has ever made
Quote:There is SO MUCH MORE I could use to expand on this but this post is already ridiculously long enough as it is, and if I REALLY need to have to expand further on it then whoever the fuck the mouth-breather is that is questioning this has no hope of ever getting it through their thick, empty skulls anyway and beyond that point it would be a waste of time.
I'll just say the same about you then..... you silly meanie

Quote:But in conclusion: God/Stalin = The same fucking thing. NOBODY. KILLS. IN THE NAME. OF ATHEISM.

[Afterthought: After considering all that I just wrote and after considering how much more I could have added, I literally am aghast now that I seriously have to spell it out for anyone who doesn't get it. Literally unfuckingbelievable.]
both your conclusion and afterthought are fucking stupid... ha ha
You clearly have no fucking clue what you are talking about. Please cite some sources if you're going to just be utterly contrarian, otherwise kindly shut the fuck up, I'm not arguing with imbeciles today.
This is right up there with "Hitler was an atheist". Aside from that not being true, it's just a quick retort used by the religious to imply that all atheists are out for blood. It's okay for them to say this though, they're not being discriminatory or inflammatory. Of course, tell them that all priests are pedophiles...
(July 7, 2012 at 1:42 pm)KnockEmOuttt Wrote: This is right up there with "Hitler was an atheist". Aside from that not being true, it's just a quick retort used by the religious to imply that all atheists are out for blood. It's okay for them to say this though, they're not being discriminatory or inflammatory. Of course, tell them that all priests are pedophiles...

Hitler was...fuck, that's a complicated story. Atheist he most definitely wasn't. Pseudopagancatholic would be the best way to describe him but it's a generalization. He, Pol Pot, and Mao are others I'll have to tackle later but the story is almost the same with them.
What link?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarthyism this one?
(July 7, 2012 at 1:47 pm)Creed of Heresy Wrote: Hitler was...fuck, that's a complicated story. Atheist he most definitely wasn't. Pseudopagancatholic would be the best way to describe him but it's a generalization. He, Pol Pot, and Mao are others I'll have to tackle later but the story is almost the same with them.

Still, to blame all atheists for their crimes is just plain absurd. And yet I see/hear it done all the time. It's such a cop-out.
How about this: First read about a little something called the Great Purge and THEN come back and talk to me. Oh and while you're at it why don't you read about Trotsky and a bunch of his other critics. And the Red Army Massacre, and the deportations. The fact that you don't even know about the famines and the fact that Stalin basically withheld the grain reserves that could have averted it because of his own paranoid delusions about the Ukrainian government basically withholding grainstock pretty much gives away that you have no fucking clue what you're talking about, amongst everything else.

Yanno what, fuck it, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalin%27s_...ersonality And here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulags READ. It'll do you some good.

(July 7, 2012 at 1:54 pm)KnockEmOuttt Wrote:
(July 7, 2012 at 1:47 pm)Creed of Heresy Wrote: Hitler was...fuck, that's a complicated story. Atheist he most definitely wasn't. Pseudopagancatholic would be the best way to describe him but it's a generalization. He, Pol Pot, and Mao are others I'll have to tackle later but the story is almost the same with them.

Still, to blame all atheists for their crimes is just plain absurd. And yet I see/hear it done all the time. It's such a cop-out.

"Copping out" is something the religious do on just about everything, if you think about it.
(July 7, 2012 at 1:54 pm)KnockEmOuttt Wrote:

Why not? You blame christianity for what the Nazi's did don't you?

The only thing we should blame a movement on, is what it was based on, and what THE PEOPLE involved "thought" it meant. The Nazi's were christians, and the Communists were atheists. You might describe them as special kinds of christians or atheists, but that's what they were. It doesn't matter what Hitler, or Stalin, or what any others leader's PERSONAL beleifs were, it ONLY matters what the collective groups opinions were.
(July 7, 2012 at 1:58 pm)Creed of Heresy Wrote: How about this: First read about a little something called the Great Purge and THEN come back and talk to me. Oh and while you're at it why don't you read about Trotsky and a bunch of his other critics while you're at it. And the Red Army Massacre, and the deportations. The fact that you don't even know about the famines and the fact that Stalin basically withheld the grain reserves that could have averted it because of his own paranoid delusions about the Ukrainian government basically withholding grainstock pretty much gives away that you have no fucking clue what you're talking about, amongst everything else.

(July 7, 2012 at 1:54 pm)KnockEmOuttt Wrote: Still, to blame all atheists for their crimes is just plain absurd. And yet I see/hear it done all the time. It's such a cop-out.

"Copping out" is something the religious do on just about everything, if you think about it.

Well of course. If I were to tell you the sky was green (which obviously isn't true) you'd be able to quickly disprove me for many reasons, at which point I'd have no other option than to act personally offended and hit you with a sweeping, all-encompassing statement.

But of course you probably know that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 4672 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Azeem Ibrahim: The Chinese Communist Party is scared of Christianity. Nishant Xavier 16 1155 July 25, 2023 at 1:17 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3445 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  *trigger warning* What if atheism's not all it seems? PhilosophicalZebra 143 26203 December 27, 2017 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Not religious doesn't necessarily mean atheist John V 99 17199 November 8, 2017 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 26869 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why science and religious fatih need not be in conflict: It's as easy as 1-2-3! Whateverist 123 36932 May 15, 2017 at 9:05 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  My atheism religious faith is being shaken... Won2blv 37 8702 November 14, 2016 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  300 years, yet atheism has not grown into a viable movement | Bart Campolo mralstoner 31 4397 October 20, 2016 at 6:27 am
Last Post: comet
  I am not Religious chimp3 7 1956 July 30, 2016 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Minimalist