Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charity, good but how it gets screwed,
Charity, good but how it gets screwed,
My neighbor now thinks I am a Scrouge because I turned down a door to door girl who was selling her "charity".

I did not do it because of her, she may in deed have been lagit. I turned her down because of the con artists that make it hard for lagit people to be trusted.

What pisses me off is how did he know I didn't donate unless she said something to him, which says to me, even if this was lagit, the kid cared more about winning her contest than being honest, EVEN if it was a lagit charity.

I don't respond to police and fire charities on the phone, not because they are not lagit, but because others can and do pretend to be those lagit people. And there are people who will use their kids for these scams not for a charity, but to pay their own bills.

The experts say the way to donate to a charity is to do it in person at an established physical location. I didn't turn this kid down because I am an asshole, I turned her down because I didn't personally know her or the charity.
RE: Charity, good but how it gets screwed,
Did you ever think of donating to DonorsChoose and wave the proof of donation in your neighbors face?

Easier and requires less justification -- "Dude, I /already/ donated. What have /YOU/ done today?"
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
RE: Charity, good but how it gets screwed,
Quote:I did not do it because of her, she may in deed have been legit.

Fair enough too.

Let your neighbour think what he likes.

Here we have a system called 'charity direct'. Collectors are issued with an ID badge, if and only if the charity does not pay their collectors,meaning 100% of monies collected goes to the charity.

However, there is another trap; 'administration costs'. Usually around 30%-ish, but can be much higher. Just have a look at the number of paid employees, buildings, advertising, etc.

So far, I've managed to find ONE charity I support regularly by monthly donation: Medicins Sans Frontiers,their admin costs are about 36%. They do not pay their medical staff, not even air fare. I also give to the Fred Hollows foundation ad hoc: $25 will restore a person's sight.

Quote:Frederick "Fred" Cossom Hollows, AC (9 April 1929 – 10 February 1993) was an ophthalmologist who became known for his work in restoring eyesight for countless thousands of people in Australia and many other countries. It has been estimated that more than one million people in the world can see today because of initiatives instigated by Hollows, the most notable example being The Fred Hollows Foundation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Hollows

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Tell me YOUR weather is this screwed up. onlinebiker 5 619 April 15, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Brian, you're screwed again! Gawdzilla Sama 15 1622 September 1, 2019 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Do you and yours wear thermal under clothes when the weather gets cold? Duty 46 3087 November 15, 2018 at 11:06 am
Last Post: Duty
  Curious how one gets the "jerkoff" emoticon next to one's name Foxaèr 29 5114 April 17, 2018 at 9:39 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Find out how much your fellow forum members are getting screwed Catholic_Lady 68 7103 April 13, 2018 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  But how good are we really?? Catholic_Lady 53 4128 October 16, 2017 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Things You Don't Like About Other Countries ( America Gets Immunity) Amarok 61 9082 April 11, 2017 at 6:58 pm
  So, the driver gets eaten by wild boars or dropped in boiling oil ?? vorlon13 12 1475 September 3, 2016 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  I'm so screwed... (getting this off my chest) Dystopia 5 1028 December 1, 2015 at 11:56 am
  The "We'll donate to charity if you buy our stuff" schtick Aroura 6 1366 November 26, 2015 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie