Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Thank God!"
"Thank God!"
Anyone remember when that airliner hit a bridge, crushed several vehicles, and then crashed into the frozen Potomac river in the early 80s? Because of the crash location, news crews were there as quickly as rescue units.

The local news station where I lived was showing a room full of people watching live coverage of what was happening on a TV, then cutting back to "normal" live shots (don't ask me why). Anyway, the scene was pretty tragic. Most of the plane was submerged in the ice-covered river.

Only a few passengers had survived the crash. A helicopter lowered a rope to the few who were struggling in the water.

The camera zoomed in on a man who had escaped from the plane, struggling to swim through chunks of broken ice toward the rescue rope. He got it, but instead of putting it around himself, he struggled back toward the wreckage and put the line around someone else, who was pulled to safety. He did this again when the rope was lowered again, but the woman he'd put the rope around slipped out of it and fell back into the frozen river. He struggled toward her, obviously exhausted and nearly frozen himself, and managed to get the rope around her again. She was finally pulled to safety.

"Thank God!" exclaimed one of the viewers watching this on TV.

My immediate thought was: "Thank God!? God didn't save the woman, that man did! Where was God when the plane was crashing, when the babies and other passengers on board were dying horrible deaths? Are you thanking God for THAT?"

By the time the helicopter was able to return the rope again, that hero had drowned.

Anyway, I was never very religious. My parents were Methodist, my siblings and I went to bible school, but we only went to church on Easter Sunday. I think my mom liked being a member of the church because she enjoyed the Bingo games they offered every week. Wink

But "not being religious" was one thing -- deciding I absolutely did NOT believe in God... and all the bullshit that goes with that... didn't happen until that moment when I heard someone exclaim "Thank God!" as people died.

Afterwards it was just "common sense" to me to grow up and leave God behind, as I'd left Santa behind years earlier.
RE: "Thank God!"
"Dear God. We paid for all this stuff ourselves, so thanks for nothing" - Bart Simpson saying grace.
Because people are morons.
This reminds me of that plane in the Hudson a few years ago. Much happier ending, but everyone was saying the same things. "Thank God!" "It's a miracle!" No, it wasn't. It was a fantastically clever and well-trained pilot. I couldn't help but think it was wrong to take the credit from Captain Sully and give it to God.
You really believe in a man who has helped to save the world twice, with the power to change his physical appearance? An alien who travels though time and space--in a police box?!? [Image: TARDIS.gif]
(July 13, 2012 at 6:14 pm)HappyHumanist Wrote: "Thank God!" exclaimed one of the viewers watching this on TV.

My immediate thought was: "Thank God!? God didn't save the woman, that man did! Where was God when the plane was crashing, when the babies and other passengers on board were dying horrible deaths? Are you thanking God for THAT?"

By the time the helicopter was able to return the rope again, that hero had drowned.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks like that! God certainly had nothing to do with saving that woman. That man saved her. Not some imaginary God.
(July 13, 2012 at 10:03 pm)KnockEmOuttt Wrote: This reminds me of that plane in the Hudson a few years ago. Much happier ending, but everyone was saying the same things. "Thank God!" "It's a miracle!" No, it wasn't. It was a fantastically clever and well-trained pilot. I couldn't help but think it was wrong to take the credit from Captain Sully and give it to God.

I saw an interview and he said that he would brush up on what to do during an emergency quite a lot. So when the accident was about to happen "it was just a routine emergency landing" I think is how he said it.

Captain Sully 1 - "GOD" 0
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
Isn't it sad how people always give god credit for good things, and absolve him of blame for bad ones?

By the way, that is one adorable cat for you avatar!

Wait a minute...July 13th?
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
I sometimes say "thank God" out of habit just because so many people say it, I don't mean it of course. I say "thank fuck" a lot too though. I'd thank happiness but I doubt anyone's going to benefit from me thanking it.
I too sometimes use what would be recognised as religious exclamations, not because I'm acknowledging the concepts behind them but purely and simply because they're part of the rich fabric of language. Words have no intrinsic power; what matters is the intent behind them and there is no religious intent to my use of such phrases.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I often exclaim, "Dear god!" Something my oldest has picked up on. My husband thinks this is equivalent to swearing, however, I maintain that it is not. One can't blaspheme an entity that does not exist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One Month Without Faith - Thank you. Spacetime 30 6351 July 17, 2015 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: KUSA