Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you were to follow a particular religion...
If you were to follow a particular religion...
what would it be and why?

For those who already follow a particular reason, what other religion peaks your curiosity?

For me, it would be the Celtic (neo-pagan I guess since the early pagans took it a bit too far) religions because I believe in a connection with the beauty of the natural world and in perfect harmony.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
RE: If you were to follow a particular religion...
In the end, I'd go with Buddhism, mainly because it's probably the most sane of the major world religions.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(July 13, 2012 at 10:02 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: In the end, I'd go with Buddhism, mainly because it's probably the most sane of the major world religions.

You mean minus self-immolation.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
Theravada Buddhism in the Forest tradition, specifically as "resurrected" by Buddhadasa Bhikkhu. Already there. Most people, including most folks who call themselves "Buddhists", have no idea that the Buddha's own teachings and practices are atheistic and totally non-superstitious. And most people, including most Buddhists, are not aware that that the Buddha came up with a much better, more throrough and detailed version of the "Golden Rule" over 500 years before the Common Era.
Atheist yes, but isn't there a cosmic force in Buddhism which would make it spiritual aka superstitious?
What would that be?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_cosmology

Yes it is wiki, but this is more thorough than other sources I have found....I have textbooks I can recommend though.
(July 13, 2012 at 10:07 pm)Polaris Wrote:
(July 13, 2012 at 10:02 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: In the end, I'd go with Buddhism, mainly because it's probably the most sane of the major world religions.

You mean minus self-immolation.

What? You really don't have a clue,do you. Self immolation and suicide of any kind are not basic tenets of any form of Buddhism any more than burning crosses on people's lawns is a tenet of Christianity. Drongo..

For fuck sake do some reading before you start making stupid claims about other religions.
(July 13, 2012 at 10:47 pm)padraic Wrote:
(July 13, 2012 at 10:07 pm)Polaris Wrote: You mean minus self-immolation.

What? You really don't have a clue,do you. Self immolation and suicide of any kind are not basic tenets of any form of Buddhism any more than burning crosses on people's lawns is a tenet of Christianity. Drongo..

For fuck sake do some reading before you start making stupid claims about other religions.

Neither were the Inquisition and Crusades part of Biblical Christianity, but it still happened and has become an integral part of the history of the Christian religion.
I hate to echo Taqiyya Mockingbird but Mahayana Buddhism seems a bit too subservient, so I have to go with Theravada Buddhism. I do not know enough about the other branches of Buddhism to pick from any others.

Abrahamic religions are all about a divine, sadistic dictator that rules the cosmos. Screw that. I want no part in any of them. Others religions are just as stupid but would embarrass me more because less people believe them. Also, if I could invent my own religion where people worshiped me, that might be worth me converting to.
[Image: questionc.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Turns out we were all wrong. Here's undeniable proof of god. EgoDeath 6 1409 September 16, 2019 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Who told you that you were naked? Um nobody. Fake Messiah 7 787 March 21, 2019 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: Nakara
  How you know religion has done its job in brainwashing you: Foxaèr 19 2752 August 9, 2018 at 12:47 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Dead people testify! We were wrong! ignoramus 12 1710 June 11, 2018 at 6:52 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Just how stupid were the ancient Israelites? The Valkyrie 115 14637 June 1, 2018 at 5:39 am
Last Post: Joods
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10727 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4907 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19826 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  If You Were A Theist Catholic_Lady 86 15816 August 29, 2015 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Divinity
  If You Were An Atheist Shuffle 111 23810 August 28, 2015 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72