Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 4:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hi sup
hi sup
Hi! Name's Ryan. I'm just about 30 and from Virginia.

I was raised in a quasi-Christian household, shuffled around to different churches every year or so (mostly because Sunday School is free daycare once a week, is my theory) and while I never really absorbed the religion/s I was exposed to, I was on board with God, Jesus and the lot. I had a brief flirtation with atheism as a teenager but it scared me and I turned back, stronger than ever in my faith for awhile. But, those doubts I had never went away and my faith eroded a second time. Since 05 or so I've slid down the slope from dedicated believer to conditional believer to agnostic. In the last two months or so I've finally arrived at the bottom and admitted to myself that I really don't believe in God any more than I've ever believed in ghosts or anything else supernatural.

I'm over the giddy high of the freshly unconverted but it's lonely having to lie about my beliefs by omission (my family is not evangelical, thankfully, but they do treat religion like a sports fan treats his team, and I'm not on that team anymore). I have friends who are supportive, at least. It's a lot to get used to.
RE: hi sup
Welcome aboard Ryan (great username btw Wink), hopefully you'll enjoy it here and we can help give you the sense of community and support you perhaps are after.

Smile
Welcome

Good, good, let it flow, come to the dark side /darth sidius Big Grin
Welcome to the board! It's a great group here, you'll feel at home.
You really believe in a man who has helped to save the world twice, with the power to change his physical appearance? An alien who travels though time and space--in a police box?!? [Image: TARDIS.gif]
For gods sake run, these people are holding me here against my Will. They are the fallen spoken of in 'revelations' just here to take the piss. They subject me to all manor of torment, every time my warning lights up they electrocute my Ar AH. Run were all going to die do you hear me boy, DIE!

AAAAAAArrrrrr ah Will's just got the beers in sit down crack a tin.
Welcome Ryan I'am sure you will feel right at home here Smile
"When one person suffers from a delusion, it
is called insanity. When many people suffer
from a delusion it is called religion.”
Quote:but they do treat religion like a sports fan treats his team

Cubs, I hope.

Welcome.
Welcome Ryan
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Hi Ryan and welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Thanks for the welcomes! I'm enjoying it so far!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sup? Zarastro 16 1504 September 29, 2016 at 6:07 am
Last Post: Zarastro
  Sup? AbsolutelyReligiousless 14 1733 June 13, 2016 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: mlmooney89
Brick Sup fam Martian Mermaid 41 4640 April 27, 2016 at 4:33 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Sup wolfclan96 12 1848 January 13, 2015 at 8:49 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Sup everyone I'm TechAtheist! TechAtheist 23 2930 July 3, 2014 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: CindysRain