Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 7:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Americans losing confidence in religious institutuons
Americans losing confidence in religious institutuons
Americans are losing confidence in religious institutions. The article cites corruption and political involvement as two main causes.

The article I linked to below says that when people choose to unaffiliate themselves with a religious institution they often remain unaffiliated..

http://www.care2.com/causes/americans-lo...tions.html

This article (link below) says that even though confidence in religion has decreased people report religion is still important in their lives.
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/0...-poll?lite
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

RE: Americans losing confidence in religious institutuons
About time. I see Christianity as becoming like a lot of Jewish people today, not believing in a literal god but still being religious.
Reading that article satisfied me greatly.
You really believe in a man who has helped to save the world twice, with the power to change his physical appearance? An alien who travels though time and space--in a police box?!? [Image: TARDIS.gif]
Religious institutions are their own worst enemy. They rail against the evils of secularism and how it will bring religion down, yet they will ultimately be the architects of their own demise.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Religion can only flourish in an environment of superstition and ignorance. Maybe Americans are finally starting to catch on that it is all just a con game.

Time will tell but this is good news.
(July 16, 2012 at 3:33 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Religious institutions are their own worst enemy. They rail against the evils of secularism and how it will bring religion down, yet they will ultimately be the architects of their own demise.
So many people leave a religion because of assholes in the church. When they leave sometimes they either become non's or move to a less crazy denomination. Of these non's return after a while. If they get beat down again they can enter into a cyclic pattern of leaving and returning until they finally give up the Holy Ghost.

When I was a Christian I would hear numerous complaints of how various things were causing people to leave god behind. Some were certain groups of people, other causes were just the desire not to follow (their version of) Christian principles (I prefer to call it law). What I noticed was that it was those hurt by religion, church crazies, and or a crazy pastor that caused the rift. I suggested that Christians needed to start with the things they have a measure of control over (themselves, their members, the pastor) before they should whine about other causes. Stop blaming other people and work on your own problem. I was ignored. It doesn't seem to matter much what people who aren't rich and who don't possess much social ability have to say in a church even if they have a point.
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

If Americans can also lose their confidence in superstition in general, in psuedo-science, and in wish thinking political idiology, then they may finally become a people deserving of running the sole superpower, a decade or two after they lose, probably permanently, their status as the sole superpower.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Losing virginity" - what is being lost here? Fake Messiah 36 4018 September 12, 2018 at 9:14 am
Last Post: polymath257
  Here are 5 big reasons why Americans are turning away from religion — according to sc Minimalist 3 1516 January 25, 2017 at 9:43 am
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Losing Faith Complicates Mental Health Recovery? LivingNumbers6.626 32 5833 December 3, 2014 at 4:26 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Religious moderates enable religious extremists worldslaziestbusker 82 32812 October 24, 2013 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Optimistic Mysanthrope
  Theologian Attempts Censorship After Losing Debate Jaysyn 6 2068 November 8, 2011 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist
  Americans are being terrorized into not celebrating Xmas leo-rcc 51 16808 December 18, 2009 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet