Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 8:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Someone debate me
Someone debate me
I want a fair hearing in a public setting for my beliefs. People condemn me yet it seems to me that they do so based on bad arguments and reasoning. I issue an open challenge to anyone to formally debate me on the question,

"is it irrational to believe in God?"

Does anyone have the guts?
"the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate" (1 Cor. 1:19)
RE: Someone debate me
zzzz zzzzzz zzzzzzzz
[Image: Evolution.png]

Which god?

So far the answer is, "no."

(July 16, 2012 at 10:12 pm)aleialoura Wrote: Which god?

It is left unspecified. Since it is God, and not gods, you can assume it is a traditional monotheistic God.
If God doesn't exist or we don't have knowledge he does, it's irrational to do so.
If he exists and he has given us knowledge of himself, then it's not irrational to do so.

The problem is that how do you prove knowledge from delusion? Atheists believe you are deluded about your belief in knowledge, while Theists believe you are justified.

There is no conclusive knock out argument to prove God exists let alone has given knowledge of himself, nor is there an knock argument to prove we haven't been given this knowledge of God.

Therefore - there is no point in arguing over this issue.

I have some arguments that seem valid and sound to me that prove God. I've discussed them respectively with people here and we had a good conversation.

At the end, if we been given knowledge of God, you have to be patient with it.

I think part of that patience is to tolerate/respect/honor others that don't have it, instead of being angry at them for not believing.
In order to have a proper debate about this you must first define the god you'll be defending. It's only logical.

Where shall I begin, basic?
Well if the Christian God is a beautiful deity of forgiveness and safety, why are there so many awful problems with the world? Why is there hunger and disease? What kind of all-powerful being could create a world and fill it with creatures if He is going to let it destroy itself and live with such terrible problems? If such a being does truly excist, then He/She has abandoned His/Her subjects and creations.
And there is no palpable or tangable evidence of a God. Nobody can say they've looked God in the face, or watched his doings other than the Bible, which I don't think is solid evidence as it was written by men.
You can't ignore the people who disagree and pretend it makes you right.
This is one argument against God:

1. If there was a benevolent Creator, there would not exist unnecessary suffering or suffering that would not bring about a greater good.
2. There exists suffering that is unnecessary and doesn't bring about a greater good.
3. Therefore a benevolent Creator does not exist.

This another argument against God:

1. If there was a perfect designer, then all design in the universe would be flawless.
2. There is flaws in some designs in the universe.
3. Therefore a perfect designer doesn't exist.

I'll play Devil's advocate here for a change.
(July 16, 2012 at 10:21 pm)FemmeReasonAndLogic Wrote: Where shall I begin, basic?
Well if the Christian God is a beautiful deity of forgiveness and safety, why are there so many awful problems with the world? Why is there hunger and disease? What kind of all-powerful being could create a world and fill it with creatures if He is going to let it destroy itself and live with such terrible problems? If such a being does truly excist, then He/She has abandoned His/Her subjects and creations.
And there is no palpable or tangable evidence of a God. Nobody can say they've looked God in the face, or watched his doings other than the Bible, which I don't think is solid evidence as it was written by men.

Would you like to accept the debate challenge then? The debate would occur on the formal debate section of this site according to pre-established rules.

(July 16, 2012 at 10:28 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: This is one argument against God:

1. If there was a benevolent Creator, there would not exist unnecessary suffering or suffering that would not bring about a greater good.
2. There exists suffering that is unnecessary and doesn't bring about a greater good.
3. Therefore a benevolent Creator does not exist.

This another argument against God:

1. If there was a perfect designer, then all design in the universe would be flawless.
2. There is flaws in some designs in the universe.
3. Therefore a perfect designer doesn't exist.

I'll play Devil's advocate here for a change.

Are you accepting the debate challenge? Ditto what I said to the last responder.
(July 16, 2012 at 10:09 pm)Jeffonthenet Wrote: Are you accepting the debate challenge? Ditto what I said to the last responder.

Yeah sure, playing Devil's Advocate will be fun, and I will learn from it surely.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What would an atheist say if someone said "Hallelujah, you're my savior man." Woah0 16 1411 September 22, 2022 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Hilarious argument from someone I encountered in the youtube comments Heat 19 4671 April 23, 2020 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  (Sensitivity required) Coming out to someone SlowCalculations 12 1740 October 27, 2019 at 6:14 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Can someone debunk this FPerson 162 32527 November 12, 2017 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Where to Debate Theists? Cephus 27 5838 April 13, 2017 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  Has the Atheism vs. Theism debate played it's course? MJ the Skeptical 49 10684 August 12, 2016 at 8:43 am
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  Your favorite Atheist Theist Debate? Nuda900 11 4034 February 28, 2016 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: abaris
  A great atheist debate video. Jehanne 0 1178 February 14, 2016 at 12:04 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  How can someone convert from Atheist to Religious Heat 65 9510 November 26, 2015 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  What you see when you win a religious debate... x3 IanHulett 15 5151 October 20, 2015 at 7:45 am
Last Post: robvalue