Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From Fiction to "True Story"
From Fiction to "True Story"
I thought I'd create a thread to explain the process of how a work of fiction, sometimes when it is even labeled as such, can work its way into folklore, urban legend and eventually into "no, really, this is a true story."

Often in debates over whether or not works like the Gospels can be regarded as "historical documents", we hear such arguments as "would they have died for a lie" (using their folklore of early church persecution to prove their mythology about Jesus) or "why did the critics of early Christianity not cry 'false' if it were not so?" In what seems typical of Christian binary thinking, either the scriptures are true or else there was a cabal of dastardly rabbis who concocted a myth out of whole cloth to foist upon an unsuspecting public.

In reality, urban legends, when they can be traced to a source, almost never come about in deliberate fashion. There is rather a complex process, starting with established beliefs, adding to the developing story and winding up with something written into history.

"But this would take a long time and... (exaggerated claims of early authorship of Mark follow)"

Mainstream apologetics places Mark at 70 CE, some four decades after the alleged events (some skeptics make the case for the date of authorship around the Bar Kochbar revolt around 130 CE) but let that go for now. The process of urban legend sometimes happens rapidly.

For example, on ChristianForums I had posted (in the brief 48 hour period before I was banned and all my posts deleted) about my questions as to why missionaries were needed to spread the Word of God. If the Bible, I reasoned, is the word of humans, we'd expect to see what we do, a book published in one culture and spread to the world only through human hands. If the Bible, on the other hand, were divinely authored, we should expect to see it in all cultures long before they had any contact with one another.

I then concluded with, "Imagine feudal Japan when it first opened its doors to the outside world already had copies of the Bible. Such a discover would confound any worldly explanation and effectively prove its divine nature."

Anyone reading my post with more than a cursory glance should have realized I was outlining a hypothetical to illustrate what we should see if the Bible were, in fact, the Word of God.

A Christian actually responded to this post with a "That's amazing! They discovered Bibles in Japan when this country first opened its doors to the outside world? Glory!"

This is the stuff of how urban legends are born. Someone says or writes something that is misheard or misread and later passed on with certain alterations according to individual perceptions and so on.

Another example to illustrate the process is a former friend of mine who was a devout Christian. He once spoke of his plan to write a story about the three days when Jesus went into Hell after his death on the cross. He was intending to write a work of fiction but if he'd lived 2000 years ago, his book might have been included in the NT. He might have written it as a "parable". The "parable" later is retold as a "they say that..." kind of legend which then becomes a "true story".

We see that all the time in glurge stories. Works of fiction are later recycled into urban legends. Sometimes the details may vary but the nature of the story remains the same. These tales are believed as being true in spite of how we live in a modern age where information is readily available.

The process that the Jesus story underwent is apparent when you read the Gospels in order: Mark, Matt, Luke and John.

Mark's Gospel says nothing of Jesus' childhood. Contradictory details were later added in Matt and Luke and these two were later synthesized and harmonized in our Nativity yarns retold every December.

Mark's Gospel originally said nothing of the sighting of the raised Jesus. This part was later added to his story. Then contradictory accounts were fabricated later and all was synthesized and harmonized in our Easter pageants.

John the Baptist became increasingly submissive with each Gospel publication. He started in Mark by putting himself down, denying he was the messiah and baptizing Jesus. Matt expands upon that by having JtB object, saying he's unworthy to baptize Jesus and Jesus tells him to do it anyway. John's version never has JtB baptize Jesus at all.

The trial of Jesus shifts the blame increasingly away from the Romans and onto "The Jews" with each version. By the time John's Gospel was written, "The Jews" (not the priests, not the scribes, not the Pharisees, but THE JEWS) became a hostile and separate religious group.

Jesus himself shifts from being a modest holy man in Mark's Gospel who can't perform miracles in his home town for the lack of faith of the people there to being God-incarnate in John's Gospel. In the Synoptic Gospels, Jesus is clearly separate from and subordinate to Yahweh. In John's Gospel, he is one with his father.

Nobody "just made up Jesus one day".

That's not how urban legends grow.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
RE: From Fiction to "True Story"
Perfect example, Shangri-la.
They found bibles in Japan when it first opened to outsiders? That's amazing! Praise Jesus!!!!!11!!
(July 18, 2012 at 10:12 am)DeistPaladin Wrote: Jesus himself shifts from being a modest holy man in Mark's Gospel who can't perform miracles in his home town for the lack of faith of the people there to being God-incarnate in John's Gospel. In the Synoptic Gospels, Jesus is clearly separate from and subordinate to Yahweh. In John's Gospel, he is one with his father.

You pay too much attention to the gospels.
Read Bruno Bauer’s “Christ and the Caesars”
http://sidneyrigdon.com/vern/1879BaurEng.htm#pg001
"Culture is memory"

Yuri Lotman

Why read anything other than the Bible to establish the veracity of the Bible?
Of course all these ridiculous things happened! Tongue

[Image: 7nTnr.png]
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
(July 18, 2012 at 12:43 pm)dtango Wrote: You pay too much attention to the gospels.
Read Bruno Bauer’s “Christ and the Caesars”
http://sidneyrigdon.com/vern/1879BaurEng.htm#pg001

What Shell B said, I find it useful to simply take Christian claims at face value and then tear it apart from there.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(July 18, 2012 at 12:52 pm)Shell B Wrote: Why read anything other than the Bible to establish the veracity of the Bible?

The veracity of the Bible!!

Who cares about the veracity of the Christian literature?
To me there is no “Bible;” there is Old Testament and the so-called New Testament. The Christian religion does have a story, with the most interesting part of the story being its beginning. How did the Christian religion start?
Caesar was a “Divi Fuilius,” a son of God, and so was Jesus. Does this fact ring a bell?
Well, that is the bell Bauer heard!

As regards fiction that turned into myth and then into true story, I agree that that is what happened with Christianity’s Greek speaking stories. In the Hebrew speaking stories of the Old Testament, which are based on tradition, it is true story made into myth and then into fiction.
"Culture is memory"

Yuri Lotman

A far more modern example of the growth of legend.

William Tell

http://www.divainternational.ch/spip.php?article99

Quote:As the image of William Tell was taking on its definitive form, literary critics were beginning to demolish it. In 1760 an obscure village priest in the canton of Berne published (anonymously) a pamphlet pointing out that the story of William Tell was, in fact, originally a Danish legend! This caused great outrage, particularly in Uri. In the same year, the original document of the Gr?tli pact of 1291 was discovered in the archives of the canton of Schwytz. The name of Tell does not appear on it!
In high school there was a story going around that this guy put a sheet of LSD in his sock, and it fucked him up so badly that he will forever think he's a glass of orange juice. It was the truth according to everyone. I even asked my mom about it, and she said it was true.

It's not true.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Raw Story gives a voice to atheists.... Brian37 8 1611 October 17, 2018 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The One True Dog Thread BrianSoddingBoru4 20 5178 March 16, 2018 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Joods
  The One True God thread Angrboda 11 2682 March 14, 2018 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  The One TRUE Jesus Thread BrianSoddingBoru4 6 896 March 14, 2018 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What makes your faith true? Fake Messiah 237 33042 November 12, 2017 at 3:27 am
Last Post: Odoital77
  If Jesus is not true Sonah 41 9017 October 9, 2017 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Can't Wait For The Day This Is True In The U.S. Minimalist 79 25053 September 13, 2017 at 2:34 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  If God of Abraham is true, then why didnt he use his intelligent design to make a new Roeki 129 44748 July 9, 2017 at 2:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
Heart A false god does not exist, but the True One exists! Right? theBorg 26 5993 September 8, 2016 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  False pagan gods are not the True ones? theBorg 88 15715 August 17, 2016 at 9:39 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda